Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...i usually head into the winter season assuming we will get 2 solid weeks of

winter..this year was no different as we HAD our 2 weeks of solid winter..and with 

all the doom and gloom forecasts forecasted for FEB. now.. we should be grateful we HAD those 2 weeks..

...and call it a winter!!

12 hours ago, bluewave said:

10 consecutive days of record highs is off the charts any time of year.

Oakland Airport's high of 69 today set a new record for Feb 10. Previous record was 68 in 2016. Today is the 10th consecutive day of record high temps in the#BayArea. Cooler weather expected for the week ahead. #CAwx #BayAreaWx

Chicago had 9 straight days of accumulating snow, tying their record from 2014.  The most in one day was 6.2 inches on Friday, followed by 3.7 inches on Sunday.  The total over the 9 day period was 18.3 inches.

What was the most consecutive days that NYC has had of accumulating snow?

4 minutes ago, tim said:

...i usually head into the winter season assuming we will get 2 solid weeks of

winter..this year was no different as we HAD our 2 weeks of solid winter..and with 

all the doom and gloom forecasts forecasted for FEB. now.. we should be grateful we HAD those 2 weeks..

...and call it a winter!!

We had 4 weeks of winter not 2- and the sad thing is we could only manage one 10 inch snowstorm in that period.  We should have had 2 at least.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

We had 4 weeks of winter not 2- and the sad thing is we could only manage one 10 inch snowstorm in that period.  We should have had 2 at least.

I agree to some extent.  Didn't have one storm above 4.5" here.  It's truly been nickel and dime.  Considering the early cold, this season has been a letdown, 15-16 was better lol.

10 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I agree to some extent.  Didn't have one storm above 4.5" here.  It's truly been nickel and dime.  Considering the early cold, this season has been a letdown, 15-16 was better lol.

15-16 was orders of magnitude better, even with the historically warm December included.  We had a historic BECS and a few nice events after that too.

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

15-16 was orders of magnitude better, even with the historically warm December included.  We had a historic BECS and a few nice events after that too.

I'd take 15-16 again.  The 2-foot blizzard made up for the torch.  Plus, there were some other interesting snow/cold events, like that arctic snap in February that allowed Central Park to dip below zero.

5 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I'd take 15-16 again.  The 2-foot blizzard made up for the torch.  Plus, there were some other interesting snow/cold events, like that arctic snap in February that allowed Central Park to dip below zero.

I remember we had this big heavy snow event in February when a crane fell in Manhattan.

We had a couple of those post frontal snowfall events.

10 hours ago, Paragon said:

For Philly and Baltimore too ;-)

It would have been for us but we mostly whiffed on that first storm.

Philly finally was on the winning side of the snowfall gradient for a change. It was attempt to make up for the 93-94 season.

Seasonal snowfall....09-10 vs 93-94

09-10

PHL...78.7

ABE...59.8

AVP...48.5

93-94

PHL...23.1

ABE...75.2

AVP...90.4

12 hours ago, Paragon said:

Didn't Dulles used to outdo NYC in at least half their winters?

The problem is Dulles is not in Washington DC, it's in NW Virginia, and often times people report their totals as if  they are in WDC. They are a good 30-35 miles NW of Washington DC at a higher elevation. TWC of course was the biggest offender here always reporting Dulles totals as if they were in WDC proper. It would be like reporting the totals in NW Jersey as NYC totals.

16 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

The max in the top right hand corner is 258.1"

The max is actually Redfield, Over 310" on the year. Look up Carol Yerdons twitter account, she's been official spotter there for quite awhile. Places south of my area are over 200" as well in ski country.  (Perrysburg NY) I'm at 119" here in Hamburg. 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived