Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

The biggest snowstorm last season for most of us occured around St Patricks day last Winter, so we still have time.

This Winter is more reminiscent of those prior to 2010 and more in line with long term climo. 

The last ten years or so have been a significant positive anomaly in the snowfall department, especially for the extreme coast. At the same time, it's been a major negative anomaly for interior sections, so one would think that eventually things would revert back to long term climo. 

The main feature that has been missing this Winter is strong blocking. We've had quite a few good storm systems, but nothing to slow down and amplify the pattern. A significant block this time of the year over Greenland is almost a guarantee for a major East coast snowstorm.

Big time event up here.. 

IMG_4386.PNG

3 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

Dude, no offense, you have a photo of a truck stuck in the snow in the height of a snow storm. 

If I recall your posts from that day correctly (and I do enjoy your posts) you left work on the West Side and went home. If I recall from the snow obervations we discussed, home is Wantagh.  

That is 40 miles of road or rail.

I also drove from hastings to whitestone as it ended (6pm ish) I wish I waited an hour because there was black top on my trip back up.

It was a great one foot storm. It came fast and left just as fast. For the few hours it came down heavy, travel was to be avoided. 

We went out to dinner at 730 and the restaurant was nearly full.

That, in my humble opinion, is not a crippling blizzard like Jan 2015 or the Deceember 26th/Bloomberg in Bermuda beauty.

Stuck in the snow on Broadway in Manhattan during the middle of the day. That’s a pretty big deal. What it lacked in duration it made up for in intensity. Obviously we aren’t talking the mass pike during 78 with cars stuck for days but it was still a highly impactful storm. 

EURO WEEKLIES [ 7 day chunks] have no cold for remainder of astronomical winter.  Unless we hear this was the result of a computer glitch, it is over!  lol.

I remarked earlier that the cold seemed to never really invade the northeast to the coast, and to slide by to the north.

Early Spring or not, we're about three weeks away from what I consider the end of snow season around here. Not that it cannot snow into April, but chances diminish significantly by the day after February 14th or so. I typically extend it out a bit and say that the snow season in these parts runs from about the week before Christmas until the Monday after President's Day, so this year we're looking at February 26th. 

For those of you out there like me that can't wait for the smell of fresh cut grass, leaf out and getting to the links, it's right around the corner. This is my favorite time of year as we see nature starting to come back to life as we emerge out of the doldrums and death of a freezing cold Winter.

No surprise here.

How volatile were temperatures in January 2018? Places with a red dot on the map had the greatest January temperature swings of any January on record as measured by daily temp standard deviation. [note: station data-not threaded] H/T @mattlanza cc:@jacquesmainguy @EricBlake12 pic.twitter.com/qZEjIOXcsz

44 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Early Spring or not, we're about three weeks away from what I consider the end of snow season around here. Not that it cannot snow into April, but chances diminish significantly by the day after February 14th or so. I typically extend it out a bit and say that the snow season in these parts runs from about the week before Christmas until the Monday after President's Day, so this year we're looking at February 26th. 

For those of you out there like me that can't wait for the smell of fresh cut grass, leaf out and getting to the links, it's right around the corner. This is my favorite time of year as we see nature starting to come back to life as we emerge out of the doldrums and death of a freezing cold Winter.

As evidenced by grassy areas with a southerly exposure turning green(ish) yesterday while pieces of ground 5 feet away still had snow from the other day. Some trees are starting to green up ever so slightly also.

51 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

March averages about the same amount of snow as December does, although the chances decline during the 2nd half of March. To me prime snow season doesn't end until the 3rd week of March.

55 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

March averages about the same amount of snow as December does, although the chances decline during the 2nd half of March. To me prime snow season doesn't end until the 3rd week of March.

Count how many 6"+ snowstorms we've had after March 1st since records began and then compare that to February. I think you'll find a dramatic decline in snowfall in March compared to February.

56 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Count how many 6"+ snowstorms we've had after March 1st since records began and then compare that to February. I think you'll find a dramatic decline in snowfall in March compared to February.

No doubt March is much less snowy than February. But it's about as snowy as December is. There are 4 months out of the year in which NYC area averages a significant amount of snow. December, January, February and March. Snow season is December through March, although flakes fly every once in awhile in November and April.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

No doubt March is much less snowy than February. But it's about as snowy as December is. There are 4 months out of the year in which NYC area averages a significant amount of snow. December, January, February and March. Snow season is December through March, although flakes fly every once in awhile in November and April.

Most seasons don't average a snowy December in NYC, and the number of years that featured a snowy December and March are minimal. 

3 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Agreed once the calendar gets to the last week of February i consider the snow season done and want spring. There are only few exceptions such as 2014 and 2015 where the cold held and kept melt to a minimum through early March.

12 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Agreed once the calendar gets to the last week of February i consider the snow season done and want spring. There are only few exceptions such as 2014 and 2015 where the cold held and kept melt to a minimum through early March.

We typically get either a mild early Winter or an early Spring. Very few Winters feature wall to wall cold and snow, at least in my memory.

I don't consider March to be a Winter month anyway, just like I don't consider December to be an Autumn month.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived