Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Ridiculous...

How often do you see a high temperature anywhere that's 64°F above normal?? Omolon, Russia, smashed its all-time Jan. record with Monday's high of 3°C (38.4°F). Average daily high this time of year in Omolon is -32°C (-25.6°F). twitter.com/EKMeteo/status…

That has to be in Siberia right? Omyakon was like -70 below so they were definitely very cold lol

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Paragon said:

That has to be in Siberia right? Omyakon was like -70 below so they were definitely very cold lol

The eastern regions. Right where we are seeing the next phase of NPAC superblocking. +552 meters is another off the charts block.

eps_z500a_nh_9.thumb.png.76b4525b9f67648d2226aed3df7465a4.png

17 hours ago, tim said:

...boy..if i didn't know any better, you would think we are on the cusp

of a major winter storm..just came in with light snow falling, wind howling out

of the NE,low deck of clouds,34*..but we know better so i guess i'll just enjoy the inch or 

two we might get.

Nice call!

17 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Here come the breakdowns. 

The models haven’t gotten storms right at game time what makes people think they are right at 2 weeks!?

It's not two weeks. It's Friday, Sunday, and Weds. That said -- you're right. Nothing is set in stone, and even if it were, it's not worth getting upset over.

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

It was less than an inch for most areas outside east LI and it's already gone, that's a pretty low bar. 

Great assessment from Isotherm for the coming weeks. 

One thing I've noticed over the years, when things keep getting pushed into the future, before you know it the cold arrives....in April. I'm not optimistic and it sounds to me like there is a short window for a snow event in mid-Feb. Once March rolls around you can bet the farm that any event we have won't be that big a deal anyway. I don't remember a single event in March over 10 inches ( and even that would be a big deal, even now ) in my 55 years. SO here's to hoping we get something in that short window.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

I don't think I'd say areawide.  The most Morris county received was .2" and many of us here saw nothing.  The same is true for areas to my north and west.

Secs for long island, 1 to 3 from Jersey shore to NYC to Westchester to CT with a lot more to the NE.  West of EWR saw very little as the trend of the winter persisted.

2 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Secs for long island, 1 to 3 from Jersey shore to NYC to Westchester to CT with a lot more to the NE.  West of EWR saw very little as the trend of the winter persisted.

I agree, for some parts of the metro this was a decent storm. I just feel that you shouldn't call it 1-3" areawide when many us inland couldnt even take a measurement.

Just now, JerseyWx said:

I agree, for some parts of the metro this was a decent storm. I just feel that you shouldn't call it 1-3" areawide when many us inland couldnt even take a measurement.

I'm inland and had 2 inches and still full snow cover as I left this morning, its deep winter just east of the city.  This year has been very tough for NNJ as the coast has been favored in almost every system.  Eastern LI should do well tonight, I could see Upton getting 2 to 4 which will only add to the 6 to 8 OTG.

4 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

I'm inland and had 2 inches and still full snow cover as I left this morning, its deep winter just east of the city.  This year has been very tough for NNJ as the coast has been favored in almost every system.  Eastern LI should do well tonight, I could see Upton getting 2 to 4 which will only add to the 6 to 8 OTG.

Definitely has been a boring winter here, lot of wasted cold.  I'm at about 15" for the entire season.

17 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Definitely has been a boring winter here, lot of wasted cold.  I'm at about 15" for the entire season.

So far it's quickly becoming a forgettable winter and if it doesn't produce this month, then it'll be more or less a soft dud. The only thing memorable was that 2 week cold spell. 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived