Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Data shows it's the most impressive warming period in January following one of the coldest Jan 1-7 periods on record. 

The month should still end BN (barely for some) but the warming after where we started this month was huge. 

Mostly uneventful as well but given our head start, we are still likely to finish at AN snowfall and BN for temps for MET winter. 

We'd have to have a remarkable turnaround to finish AN snowfall in our region. It's happened before, but I don't need to tell you we've struggled in our area aside from the Jan 2016 monster to get much above 6 inches in a storm. Still, i don't mind a few of those either.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CIK62 said:

The cold on the GEPS never gets here on its entire run  (5-day periods)

The cold of GEFS gets here to the coast, but the core wants to skip by to the north, and ditto the EPS.

I hope we don't get disappointed here.   Snow also seems in short supply for the next two weeks, despite any colder temps.

Yeah I'm not convinced much more is gonna happen. This warmth seems stubborn to me. It will be cold in April I'm sure, and wet too. Not too many people posting signals nothing exciting on the horizon to me.

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

We'd have to have a remarkable turnaround to finish AN snowfall in our region. It's happened before, but I don't need to tell you we've struggled in our area aside from the Jan 2016 monster to get much above 6 inches in a storm. Still, i don't mind a few of those either.

Remarkable turnaround? Most sites are easily within reach of normal already. 

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Remarkable? Nah, we're more than halfway. Barely but we are. I also only hit 5" on 1/4

I find unless u keep track people forget about how the smaller events add up

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Remarkable? Nah, we're more than halfway. Barely but we are. I also only hit 5" on 1/4

I find unless u keep track people forget about how the smaller events add up

We had a number of smaller events in Dec too, and one decent one. Statistically, that should have set us up for a big winter. Not over yet.

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Remarkable turnaround? Most sites are easily within reach of normal already. 

If it snows again. I'm old enough to have seen snow done by this time of the year. You only have to go back to 2012 for that. Sometimes the snow comes easy, sometimes it doesn't. Aside from some cold temps, I have not really been impressed with this winter. It's been ok, but nothing special. So we had some cold. And now we have soupy warm weather. Hope it ends soon.

15 hours ago, CIK62 said:

The cold on the GEPS never gets here on its entire run  (5-day periods)

The cold of GEFS gets here to the coast, but the core wants to skip by to the north, and ditto the EPS.

I hope we don't get disappointed here.   Snow also seems in short supply for the next two weeks, despite any colder temps.

Please don't quote the EPS , you don't know what you're looking at.

I can't post the EPS here but if I could I illustrate it's corrections over the last 7 days at 500mb and 5k feet

Great look on the EPS 

...boy..if i didn't know any better, you would think we are on the cusp

of a major winter storm..just came in with light snow falling, wind howling out

of the NE,low deck of clouds,34*..but we know better so i guess i'll just enjoy the inch or 

two we might get.

23 minutes ago, tim said:

of the NE,low deck of clouds,34*..but we know better so i guess i'll just enjoy the inch or 

two we might get.

Yeah...first easterly winds and flood statements we had in a while 

45 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Beginning of March is right around the corner.

Yes can't wait, another good winter month to follow what looks like a relatively cold and snowy February.

Received 21 inches of snow last March 14th and had snow cover until March 28th.

BTW 2 of the last 3 years, March had the greatest monthly totals for the winter in NYC.

Warmest January on record for New Zealand followed by a very rare ET.

Tropical low [potential #CycloneFehi] is expected to impact New Zealand late Wed into Fri, local time -- very heavy rainfall & possible damaging winds + king tides as 960 hPa low makes landfall in the South Island. pic.twitter.com/Q0Uthj9bM0

View photo ·    

13 hours ago, tim said:

two we might get.

..HA..should have went with my 'gut'..2" turned into 8" !

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Yes can't wait, another good winter month to follow what looks like a relatively cold and snowy February.

Received 21 inches of snow last March 14th and had snow cover until March 28th.

BTW 2 of the last 3 years, March had the greatest monthly totals for the winter in NYC.

March is a winter month now? And a “good” one at that? March is 10 degrees warmer than January with a sun angle that’s 20 degrees higher. Completely different feel.

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

May all your daffodils freeze and your hyacinth lay prostrate under the crushing weight of blue snow.

Snow provides insulation, that’s partly why I don’t completely hate when it lingers during cold periods. Crush away lol.

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Well you live in the boreal wastelands, not the tropical paradise of LI. 

Yep, completely different climates lol. And my palms don’t mind a little snow.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived