Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jr461 said:

This I don't understand.  Freshly fallen snow is beautiful - I think most would agree.  After a couple days, however, it gets ugly and becomes a nuisance. 

You guys really like the black, soot covered snow lining all the roadways (even in the burbs), and the plowed piles (also filthy) consuming portions of parking lots? 

Then there's the cycle of melting and freezing from the roof, ice dams, icicles, constant dripping in the sun (even when cold), etc.

And the constant melt/thaw cycles, even when it's relatively cold, on roadways and in parking lots - streams of water from the piles of snow along the sides of the road or from the piles mixing with old salt during the day making it impossible to keep a car clean and then icing up again at night.

Even away from roads, snow cover in the yard just becomes covered with debris from trees (branches, pine needles, etc) and is no longer nice to look at before very long.

But to each his own.  I'm looking forward to this "thaw" and hoping it lasts as long as possible,  March snows aren't so bad since they do tend to melt away pretty quickly.

Depends alot on where you live and recreate.   I dont like the sides of the roads all year, whether its discolored snow or people's cigarette butts and discarded junk laying around in the weeds.

But snowcover away from the roadways and urban areas can remain pristine for a couple of months, especially with occasional refreshers.  The pattern that allows us to retain snowpack at the coast usually helps keep the pack fresh.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I am more into snowstorm quality than how long it remains on the ground. I will take a Jan 16 blizzard any time over lesser storms like 13-14 and 14-15 that stayed on the ground a long time. 

Couldn't agree more.  I didn't get anything out of the smaller storms in 14-15 that slowly added up and hung around because of the cold.  2016's Blizzard was interesting to track, and of course fun to watch.  I've never been a snowpack guy, but I guess I could understand why some like it, especially in sheltered areas that remain relatively clean and untouched.  

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I am more into snowstorm quality than how long it remains on the ground. I will take a Jan 16 blizzard any time over lesser storms like 13-14 and 14-15 that stayed on the ground a long time. 

Yep, we’ve talked about this before, I’ll take   13-14 and 14-15 every time. To each their own. 

1 hour ago, jr461 said:

This I don't understand.  Freshly fallen snow is beautiful - I think most would agree.  After a couple days, however, it gets ugly and becomes a nuisance. 

You guys really like the black, soot covered snow lining all the roadways (even in the burbs), and the plowed piles (also filthy) consuming portions of parking lots? 

Then there's the cycle of melting and freezing from the roof, ice dams, icicles, constant dripping in the sun (even when cold), etc.

And the constant melt/thaw cycles, even when it's relatively cold, on roadways and in parking lots - streams of water from the piles of snow along the sides of the road or from the piles mixing with old salt during the day making it impossible to keep a car clean and then icing up again at night.

Even away from roads, snow cover in the yard just becomes covered with debris from trees (branches, pine needles, etc) and is no longer nice to look at before very long.

But to each his own.  I'm looking forward to this "thaw" and hoping it lasts as long as possible,  March snows aren't so bad since they do tend to melt away pretty quickly.

The simple solution to this is not for the snow to melt but to get freshly fallen snow on top of it every several days, and just let the snowpack build.

Of course living in a more urban area never helps and I can understand those that get sick of the dirty snow piles but again my solution would alleviate that.

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yep, we’ve talked about this before, I’ll take   13-14 and 14-15 every time. To each their own. 

You live in an area where the snowpack doesn't start degrading soon after it falls like more urban and suburban areas. So I can see that.

19 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Couldn't agree more.  I didn't get anything out of the smaller storms in 14-15 that slowly added up and hung around because of the cold.  2016's Blizzard was interesting to track, and of course fun to watch.  I've never been a snowpack guy, but I guess I could understand why some like it, especially in sheltered areas that remain relatively clean and untouched.  

Yeah, some of my older favorite snowstorms began to melt soon after falling. Feb 83 and Apr 82 began to melt pretty quickly in the days following the storm.

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

That makes sense, I can see how you prefer the big storms too considering your location. 

The smaller storms are more memorable for me when they happen in winters without very much snow. 2-22-08 was one of my favorite snowstorms of the 2000's that didn't go into double digits.

GFS and CMC ensembles are like a double feature horror show with different titles, but the same story line,  for the next 16 days.   Even then, the cold seems another 3 days away.     I venture a guess that the first week of Feb. is going to be +5 to +8 degs. at this rate.

16 hours ago, jr461 said:

I much prefer untouched snow but in a way yes, I like the ugly snow too. It’s mother nature’s temporary imprint being eroded by human activity, it’s not perfect and beautiful in its own way. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

My grill gets shoveled out just like everything else. While it doesn’t get used as much in winter than in summer I still use it on a regular basis this time of year. I think grilled food tastes even better in winter than it does in summer. 

Yea i usually wont do anything that requires too much attention on the coldest days, just because im lazy and putting on a coat 7 timed to go in amd out is annoying, lol. But steaks burgers easy stuff, we still use a decent amount. Will break out the smoker occasionally too. 

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Yea i usually wont do anything that requires too much attention on the coldest days, just because im lazy and putting on a coat 7 timed to go in amd out is annoying, lol. But steaks burgers easy stuff, we still use a decent amount. Will break out the smoker occasionally too. 

Agreed, and if it’s windy out even the simple stuff can take a while as you know so I avoid those days. 

when I was a kid it was all about sledding in the winter...so any ice or snow on the ground was good...I got a sled for Christmas in 1960...we had a major storm on Dec. 12th...the sled was under the Christmas tree but I could not use it until Christmas day...There was still some icy patches where you could get a running start and sled on the ice for a block or two...That sled broke from over use in mid February...I was heavy at the time so that led to its demise...

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

when I was a kid it was all about sledding in the winter...so any ice or snow on the ground was good...I got a sled for Christmas in 1960...we had a major storm on Dec. 12th...the sled was under the Christmas tree but I could not use it until Christmas day...There was still some icy patches where you could get a running start and sled on the ice for a block or two...That sled broke from over use in mid February...I was heavy at the time so that led to its demise...

I was a freshman in Bklyn Tech. We used to sled in Mc Kinley Park. What I remember most, since there was a lot less traffic than, is the snow forts we used to build right in the street ( 75th St. ) curbside. I remember reinforcing the walls with discarded Christmas Trees. Snowballs would be obliterated by the pine branches. It didn't help much with the ice balls. We had wars after dark. Bunch of kids having fun in a time of innocence. At least by modern standards. Feb. of 61 was the icing on the cake. Thanks for the good memory Unc. I seem to need them a lot more lately.

6 minutes ago, rclab said:

I was a freshman in Bklyn Tech. We used to sled in Mc Kinley Park. What I remember most, since there was a lot less traffic than, is the snow forts we used to build right in the street ( 75th St. ) curbside. I remember reinforcing the walls with discarded Christmas Trees. Snowballs would be obliterated by the pine branches. It didn't help much with the ice balls. We had wars after dark. Bunch of kids having fun in a time of innocence. At least by modern standards. Feb. of 61 was the icing on the cake. Thanks for the good memory Unc. I seem to need them a lot more lately.

I wanted a sled for Christmas that year...That's what I got...nothing else but cloths...I gave my kids so much more for Christmas...My two year old grandson will probably get more toys this year than I got in my whole childhood...I used to go to Bliss park to sled...I used to use the dip bars and parallel  bar in Mckinley park...I went to Mckinley JHS from 61-62 to 63-64...I took my kids there a lot...I played softball there and saw them build the parkway on 7th Ave...

10 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I wanted a sled for Christmas that year...That's what I got...nothing else but cloths...I gave my kids so much more for Christmas...My two year old grandson will probably get more toys this year than I got in my whole childhood...I used to go to Bliss park to sled...I used to use the dip bars and parallel  bar in Mckinley park...I went to Mckinley JHS from 61-62 to 63-64...I took my kids there a lot...I played softball there and saw them build the parkway on 7th Ave...

I was a Freshman in Brooklyn Tech. I remember the thrill of the rare school closure fo the Dec. Storm. We would sled in McKinly park or any street that qualified as a hill. We had fu building snowforts curbside in the street. (75th St., Dyker Heights) a lot less traffic then. We used discarded Cristmas Trees to reinforce our wall. The pine boughs would obliterate incoming snowballs. They weren't much help for the ice or slush balls. We had snowball wars after dark, a bunch of street kids having fun. A time of innocence than, a bit different than today. Thank you for the good memory, Unc. I seem to have a need for the lately, as always.

7 hours ago, uncle W said:

I remember the fight St Ephrems Mnsignor Sweeny put up. The demolition displaced about 7,500 family's. Many his parishioners. I  remember a bunch of us pushed an old abandoned ford into the construction ditch on the north side of 75th st. Nobody was watching in those days and remote cams were science fiction.

i believe Mr. Robert Moses was responsible for the destruction of those neighborhoods. There may have bee alternative routes that could have saved the homes, however...... I also played softball in McKinly Park. No safety devices in that park, Unc. Many a broken collar bone could attest to that. I believe the junior highs gym was open to the neighborhood kids in the summer. The park had a roller skating area that we used. So few cars that even in the late fifties you could still play stickball on 75th street.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived