Wind Chill Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...UPDATED
National Weather Service Brownsville TX
625 PM CST Mon Jan 15 2018
* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Very cold to dangerously cold
  wind chills expected. Expect wind chills to range from 17
  degrees to 27 degrees.

I know I know it's deep south

We probably will not deal with snow in the City after tonight for about 2-Weeks, when we will face another atmospheric head fake on the 29th.   Looks like a return of the '36-hour Cold Spell Show'.

At any rate, I am at 40.2degs. here, right now.    I don't think the column becomes cold enough till it is too late at the coast.

2018011612_054@007_E1_knyc_I_NAEFS@EPSGR

Any precipitation near the 29th looks borderline frozen.

1 hour ago, Snowshack said:

Isotherms assertion that the coast could go snowless 1/5 - 2/5 is discouraging.  What a shame to lose a prime period like that.   We’ve all seen big totals after 2/5 so hopefully that’s what we get.  

We've had that happen before...2003, 2006. 2005 had a long break before late February and early March had 3 storms

48 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

We've had that happen before...2003, 2006. 2005 had a long break before late February and early March had 3 storms

We had a long wait between warning level events  last winter also. There was a 1 month + gap between the 1-7 and 2-9 snowstorms. 

ISP...1-7-17....11.3

ISP...2-9-17....14.3

6 hours ago, Snowshack said:

Isotherms assertion that the coast could go snowless 1/5 - 2/5 is discouraging.  What a shame to lose a prime period like that.   We’ve all seen big totals after 2/5 so hopefully that’s what we get.  

We pulled off 2 inches in Colts Neck this morning , so personally C/N dodged that bullet.

Now we will break and resume post Feb 1. 

It`s only halftime , the pattern will reload. 

This whole idea of New Yorkers considering anything North of 91st st to be Upstate is nothing new. Back in the 18th and for a large chunk of the 19th century Northern Manhattan was nothing more than farm country and forests where wealthy "New Yorkers" would retreat to in the Summer time.

Going back further, Broadway was an ancient Native American Indian trail.

What kills me about NYC is that it's actually one of the most historic places on the East coast, with a lot of very historic buildings still standing, however it is largely unknown. How many native New Yorkers realize that Alexander Hamilton is buried in lower Manhattan right down the block from where Washington took the first oath of office?

There is also Fraunces Tavern down on Pearl St which predates the revolution and quite a few other buildings from that era.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

What a bust today's storm was...been awhile since we've seen one like that.   Half the schools in CT were CLOSED today for white rain or grassy accums...

Expectations within 30 miles of the coast should have been cut after yesterday's model trends.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Expectations within 30 miles of the coast should have been cut after yesterday's model trends.

Personally I bailed after seeing the models move everything north after each run.   The big bust here was up by I84 where models showed 6 plus right up to game time only to see less than 1. Northern 1/2 of CT was under a WSW for what turned out to be a coating of snow...LOL

Schools around here on the coast all stayed open thank God.

15 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Personally I bailed after seeing the models move everything north after each run.   

This continues to be one of the easy winning forecast bets around here. Hard to bet against the WAR with near to record SST's off the EC. 

sstanom0.png.7a11741f2fb17ecacdc2cac2b242beda.png

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived