Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

21 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I’m glad to see that there are more Mets in the sub forum this year not just forky and snowgoose. Thanks for your contributions guys @purduewx80 @forkyfork @SnowGoose69 @JetsPens87 @Enigma. Can’t forget about @bluewave and @donsutherland1

Yes, thank you for your voices of reason. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/12/2018 at 2:24 PM, Paragon said:

That's a heat burst :D

Lol I wish it really happened. That’s one weather event I’d love to experience. You’d think they’d be common on Long Island, considering we only ever get dying thunderstorms.

All-time January warmth for #Alaska RIGHT NOW: 65F (18C) at the Metlakatla Climate Reference Network station. Previous record 62F Port Alsworth in 2014, Petersburg 1981, Wrangell & Ketchikan 1958, Craig 1940.

Update below

Unbelievable: SE #Alaska high temperatures thru 3pm Sunday: #akwx@Climatologist49 Metlakatla CRN: 66F (19C). All time Alaska record for January Metlakatla Seaplane: 64F (18C) (FAA AWSS) Petersburg: 63F (17C) (FAA AWSS) Jan record high Sitka: 62F (17C) (NWS ASOS) Jan record high

14 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Well...if i was to drive to rockland from here would it be fair to say i'm driving ''upstate''?

Not what I would say, but if you feel upstate is a direction rather than a place then feel free.  Of course, that would mean I am upstate from Islip.

All I care about is that people don't make the mistake of thinking that Brooklyn and Queens is part of Long Island.

[/rings bell and runs]

13 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Everything after Bear Mountain is upstate imo. Maaaaaybe I-84, but idk, that area feels like upstate to me.

I find Catskills, Adirondacks, Albany area, Central New York, Western, NY, etc to be much more useful descriptions.  The ADKs might be upstate, but Buffalo might as well be in the Midwest.  People in both of those areas consider the Catskills to be "downstate". 

Rockland County upstate? really?

There is no suburb of NYC that I consider "upstate" but some other people do...hence the term is of little value.  And I was serious about the Brooklyn / Bronx thing.  I was floored when I heard that.

PS 24F with very light snow flurries here in upstate Smithtown as of 6PM

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I've heard someone from Brooklyn call the Bronx upstate.  really...not kidding!

Dude there are rocks sticking out of the ground. that's the criteria they use. I worked in SOHO for 10 years and everybody said that upstate starts in Washington Heights because there are big rocks there. The ones in Central Park don't count because they were put there. 

7 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Dude there are rocks sticking out of the ground. that's the criteria they use. I worked in SOHO for 10 years and everybody said that upstate starts in Washington Heights because there are big rocks there. The ones in Central Park don't count because they were put there. 

The rocks in Central Park are part of the bedrock that extends onto the rest of the mainland. Nothing was "put" there. 

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived