Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I love how part of the south fork is 25-30 while Huntington and Port Jeff are in the 20-25 range lol.  Is that the new NWS map, Ed? I thought they had the lower half of Long Island in 20-25 and the upper half of Long Island in 25-30.

There are very few data points used to make up that map.  I think someone drew the darker blob around Riverhead to reflect the data from the old coop which is close to 30".  Further west, Setauket /Strongs Neck coop which is on the north shore has a long term average (going back over a century) of 21".  Any one believe that?

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

sorry snow mongers but it's awesome to not have to put on a coat to go outside

Cold weather sucks and just uses more fuel.  I like snow but not cold.  I'd like to have 30 degrees and  6 inches of snow one day  a week, another 3-4 days in the 30s and the other 2-3 days in the 40s or 50s every week in the winter. :P 

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Cold weather sucks and just uses more fuel.  I like snow but not cold.  I'd like to have 30 degrees and  6 inches of snow one day  a week, another 3-4 days in the 30s and the other 2-3 days in the 40s or 50s every week in the winter. :P 

March-April in the Rockies or the winters of 15-16 and 16-17 here.;)

13 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

There are very few data points used to make up that map.  I think someone drew the darker blob around Riverhead to reflect the data from the old coop which is close to 30".  Further west, Setauket /Strongs Neck coop which is on the north shore has a long term average (going back over a century) of 21".  Any one believe that?

Ed isn't there a co-op now near Mt. Sinai? Is that the best spot we have to take the new Long Island snowfall capital position? I hope they are keeping good data.

I think there's one on the south shore close to me (Oceanside or Lynbrook I think?) that might take the low snowfall capital position lol.

22 hours ago, Paragon said:

Ed we had 6-8 hours of blizzard conditions from Queens out to Suffolk County, would you say that's the most consecutive hours of it you've ever seen?

I think the Jan 2016 blockbuster had 6 hours of it at JFK if I remember correctly.

2016 I thought had 9 or 10 hours at FRG

This was a good run. Can’t compare this the last two years when the snow literally was gone almost immediately. This was a good snowstorm followed by a week of solid cold...And as someone who’s lived in New York for 35 years that’s about as good as it gets without some sort of warm up.

Feb 15 was the exception not the rule. NYC Gets snow but it very rarely holds it for a majority of the season

In Europe, areas with a mean temperature at or below -3°C (26.6°F) are the areas that retain a snowpack.

It’s not that cold here, outside of maybe higher elevations north and west of the city, the city itself has a mean temp of roughly 2°C for the winter. We’re also at a more southerly latitude than the vast majority of Europe, which means longer winter days and stronger sunshine. Mean temperatures colder than -3°C may actually be required to retain a real snowpack in eastern North America, for the aforementioned reasons.

In Japan, locations with the same average temperatures as here receive significantly more snowfall than we do. Although their snow is drier than ours typically is, I’d imagine it’s enough retain a snowpack.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived