Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

You're younger than I thought if you missed 97-98.  It's right up there with other 2, if not slightly worse. 

If three of those in the past 20 years is the price to pay for all of the good years, it might be worth it.

My main memory of the the 97-98 winter was the surprise high wind event before New Years. My neighbor threw out numerous large planks of wood paneling. The high winds picked them up and blew them into the nearby parked cars. The neighbors had to run down all the pieces and try to secure them in the high winds.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I beg to differ.

It has to be the winter of 2001/02. In addition to being the warmest meteorological winter ever in New York City it was also number two all time for least amount of snow, a paltry 3.5 inches.

It was also sandwiched between 2 very cold and snowy winters. That could be one reason why people forget just how bad that winter was.

15 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I beg to differ.

It has to be the winter of 2001/02. In addition to being the warmest meteorological winter ever in New York City it was also number two all time for least amount of snow, a paltry 3.5 inches.

It was also sandwiched between 2 very cold and snowy winters. That could be one reason why people forget just how bad that winter was.

Believe you me I dont forget that winter, we had our first born arrive in late Feb and I remember that night was 1 of the very few that featured any snowflakes, the mere fall of flakes was a big deal that winter. I remember cutters, when there was precip, short cold dry periods and rinse and repeat. That's why even if we dont see a flake for the rest of the month ( not likely by any means as Xmas- to new year's looks promising)- I still wont complain.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I beg to differ.

I probably spent more time bike riding the LB boardwalk that winter than another other. A very rare combination of warm and dry weather for the winter.Precip and sunny day wise, it's probably the closest we have see to a San Diego winter.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I beg to differ.

At least we had a semi decent 3-5" storm in January 2002. 97-98 had under an inch until March and that snow that fell melted in 4 hours. I believe Jan and Feb 98 had no measurable snowfall

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I beg to differ.

I really have no recollection of that winter -- and I was 21. My theory is that whatever brain cells I had were fried from 9/11 and every memory prioritized based around that event.

The one I do remember very clearly is 11-12, specifically because of all the calls for an "impending pattern change" that just never materialized.

I don’t know how you guys manage to remember each individual winter with such detail. I can only remember significant events.

My interest in weather didn’t really begin until the 2005 hurricane season. However, I distinctly remember the cold of January 2004. The February 2006 blizzard and NYC schools being closed for the first time since I’d been enrolled. Boxing Day and the parade of storms/blizzards the following winter stick out, as well as winter 2011-2012 (my personal favorite). And who can forget February 2015 and December 2015?

4 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I don’t know how you guys manage to remember each individual winter with such detail. I can only remember significant events.

My interest in weather didn’t really begin until the 2005 hurricane season. However, I distinctly remember the cold of January 2004. The February 2006 blizzard and NYC schools being closed for the first time since I’d been enrolled. Boxing Day and the parade of storms/blizzards the following winter stick out, as well as winter 2011-2012 (my personal favorite). And who can forget February 2015 and December 2015?

I have excel spreadsheets tracking snowfall of each winter going back to 2005. actually I had them further back than that but my hard drive crashed so I lost my older data. I also have a freakishly good memory when it comes to dates

I've lived through some real clinkers in my day...

1958-59...13" for the season...7" in March...very cold winter...

1962-63...16" for the season...very cold winter...

1970-71...15" for the season...6" New Years day...very cold winter...

1972-73.....3" for the season...milder than average...

1974-75...13" for the season...8" storm in Feb...mild winter...

1975-76...17" for the season...cold winter...

1979-80...13" for the season...near average temps...

1985-86...13" for the season...colder than average winter...

1988-89.....8" for the season...milder than average...

1989-90...13" for the season...cold start...warm ending...

1991-92...13" for the season...9" in March...milder than average...

1994-95...12" for the season...11" storm in Feb...milder than average...

1996-97...10" for the season...milder than average...

1997-98.....5" for the season...very mild winter...

1998-99...13" for the season...mild winter...

1999-00...16" for the season...one cold month...

2001-02.....3" for the season...very mild...

2006-07...13" for the season...one cold month...

2007-08...12" for the season...mild winter...

2011-12.....7" for the season...3" in October...very mild winter...

Yep.  The new EURO WEEKLIES do a Houdini with the cold air starting Jan. 08 and continues it to the start of Feb.

But how does this compare with 89/90 which gave us a relentless BN period for 6 weeks, till New Years Eve in fact.  It was  probably the coldest last 40 day close to any year.  I think as the ball was dropping NYE, the temperature was actually rising, and it rarely looked back after that.

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

I have excel spreadsheets tracking snowfall of each winter going back to 2005. actually I had them further back than that but my hard drive crashed so I lost my older data. I also have a freakishly good memory when it comes to dates

I have spreadsheets that go back to 2005 that track the high, low, rain, snow and a comment section for other notable things that happen. They all tally up into annual totals too

6 hours ago, nyblizz44 said:

Believe you me I dont forget that winter, we had our first born arrive in late Feb and I remember that night was 1 of the very few that featured any snowflakes, the mere fall of flakes was a big deal that winter. I remember cutters, when there was precip, short cold dry periods and rinse and repeat. That's why even if we dont see a flake for the rest of the month ( not likely by any means as Xmas- to new year's looks promising)- I still wont complain.

I remember all the long range mets slowly bailing on their forecasts of a cold/snowy winter one by one.   If I remember correctly, there were several solar flares in the fall of 2001 which may have contributed to the demise of that winter-polar vortex from hell over the pole-literally no cold air anywhere outside of the polar regions...

22 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I remember all the long range mets slowly bailing on their forecasts of a cold/snowy winter one by one.   If I remember correctly, there were several solar flares in the fall of 2001 which may have contributed to the demise of that winter-polar vortex from hell over the pole-literally no cold air anywhere outside of the polar regions...

That’s definitly not the problem this winter. We have that mega -epo block that’s pumping warm air over the arctic circle in Alaska. There will probably be days this week where it’s much colder in Montana then it is in Barrow Alaska. Unfortunately we aren’t the winners just yet. Though I think we have another solid run after Xmas. Long range who knows. Right now I like a cold start to January followed by a big thaw.

the winter of 1967-68 was very cold but the arctic air waited until January to invade the country and lasted on and off until early March...Dec. 67 had a warm up that peaked at 62 degrees on the 22nd...rain followed but a little snow the next day almost gave us a white Christmas...there was a trace on the ground Christmas morning...67-68 was an analog for this year...

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

I've lived through some real clinkers in my day...

1958-59...13" for the season...7" in March...very cold winter...

1962-63...16" for the season...very cold winter...

1970-71...15" for the season...6" New Years day...very cold winter...

1972-73.....3" for the season...milder than average...

1974-75...13" for the season...8" storm in Feb...mild winter...

1975-76...17" for the season...cold winter...

1979-80...13" for the season...near average temps...

1985-86...13" for the season...colder than average winter...

1988-89.....8" for the season...milder than average...

1989-90...13" for the season...cold start...warm ending...

1991-92...13" for the season...9" in March...milder than average...

1994-95...12" for the season...11" storm in Feb...milder than average...

1996-97...10" for the season...milder than average...

1997-98.....5" for the season...very mild winter...

1998-99...13" for the season...mild winter...

1999-00...16" for the season...one cold month...

2001-02.....3" for the season...very mild...

2006-07...13" for the season...one cold month...

2007-08...12" for the season...mild winter...

2011-12.....7" for the season...3" in October...very mild winter...

Man, after the epic 95-96 winter, we sure paid the price 4 winters in a row after that!!  If someone told you in the middle of the 95-96 winter that the next 4 winters would be basically lame, you probably would have savored every flake that winter! 

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

My main memory of the the 97-98 winter was the surprise high wind event before New Years. My neighbor threw out numerous large planks of wood paneling. The high winds picked them up and blew them into the nearby parked cars. The neighbors had to run down all the pieces and try to secure them in the high winds.

1995-96 was so good that I draw a complete blank on the winters that came after.

21 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Man, after the epic 95-96 winter, we sure paid the price 4 winters in a row after that!!  If someone told you in the middle of the 95-96 winter that the next 4 winters would be basically lame, you probably would have savored every flake that winter! 

Yeah but it didn't matter, 95-96 was so good that the next few winters really didn't matter- I don't even remember them.

7 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I beg to differ.

Coastal Carolinas had more snow than us in 01-02 lol

6 hours ago, bluewave said:

I probably spent more time bike riding the LB boardwalk that winter than another other. A very rare combination of warm and dry weather for the winter.Precip and sunny day wise, it's probably the closest we have see to a San Diego winter.

I had roses blooming in my backyard between Christmas and New Years!

58 minutes ago, uncle W said:

the winter of 1967-68 was very cold but the arctic air waited until January to invade the country and lasted on and off until early March...Dec. 67 had a warm up that peaked at 62 degrees on the 22nd...rain followed but a little snow the next day almost gave us a white Christmas...there was a trace on the ground Christmas morning...67-68 was an analog for this year...

cold but not a lot of snow- similar to the 80s

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Yes that was my last year on accuweather forums because of how they had been pushing that winter so hard and kept delaying the "change" that only lasted for a few days.  When it did get cold for a short spell in January the Carolinas got the snowstorm not us lol.

I believe in 1972-73 the South also got hit with a snowstorm which we missed and so they ended up with more snow on the season than us.

At least in 2002 we had this.

http://www.northshorewx.com/LES20020107Case.html

One other snowfall of about 4.2" on January 19-20, 2002 and a quarter inch in March rounded out that alleged winter.

As for spreadsheets, I have spreadsheets going back before Lotus 1-2-3.  Allegedly.

Some of them are on the website summarized in PDF format, like this one:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SyossetSnowfall1974-1985.pdf

77-78 was great.  If the Ohio bomb was a few hundred miles east....if only ...

8 hours ago, Paragon said:

1995-96 was so good that I draw a complete blank on the winters that came after.

I can remember going on the internet for the first time in the winter of 96-97. I didn't get another memorable snowstorm to track until 12-30-00. The 90's were just the start of the big weather extremes and swings that have become the norm now.

I can remember going on the internet for the first time in the winter of 96-97. I didn't get another memorable snowstorm to track until 12-30-00. The 90's were just the start of the big weather extremes and swings that have become the norm now.

I wonder if it’s due to a changing climate and increased CO2 that’s pushing an increase of fluctuating patterns (can’t subscript on my iPhone!); natural variability (e.g., all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again) that we didn’t notice because it happened 600 years ago; or some combination of both.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived