Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

No we start moderating this weekend and go back to normal/above by next week. After that who knows, and I certainly don't trust anything more than 7-10 days out

I respect LR forecasting but it's still barely better than a crapshoot.

Don't expect 2010-11 because that was like a one in 100 year combo of big snow and cold.

If the analogs hold we might get one more moderate (4-6 inch) storm this month and lowest temps in the teens but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Anchorage with a max of 45°F+ for the fourth day in a row. That is a December record for consecutive days. ☹️

A number of places around AK have seen the warmest (or 2nd warmest) December 1-13 time period during their period of record. @AlaskaWxAnchorage #1 Annette Island #1 Bettles #1 Delta Junction #1 Fairbanks #2 Gulkana #1 Juneau AP #1 McGrath #1 Talkeetna #2 Yakutat Tie #1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:
Anchorage with a max of 45°F+ for the fourth day in a row. That is a December record for consecutive days. ☹️

A number of places around AK have seen the warmest (or 2nd warmest) December 1-13 time period during their period of record. @AlaskaWxAnchorage #1 Annette Island #1 Bettles #1 Delta Junction #1 Fairbanks #2 Gulkana #1 Juneau AP #1 McGrath #1 Talkeetna #2 Yakutat Tie #1

Their pain is our gain. We just need the trough to move east a little bit and the SE ridge a little less amped and it’s game time for us 

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Was it last year when they were forced to shorten that dog race because there wasn't enough snow in Alaska along the route?

And this year we have videos of muddy polar bears that are brown because the ice-free period up there which formerly used to be 3 weeks long is now 3 months long.

Of course warmer weather for them can also be snowier- I saw a graphics the other day where a place in Alaska set a new record with 10 inches of snow- in one hour!

9 hours ago, swamplover56 said:

Why is this subforum so dead compared to the mid Atlantic and New England forum? Wish rjay, bx, etc would talk more about ensembles, long term patterns, anything feel like this forum is on life support

They both have more posters and didn't have multiple forum splits.  

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

I'm confused what he means by "dead."  It seems pretty active to me.

Yeah, this place is very busy compared to some of the other sub forums. It appears that a number of posters have made the move to social media and don't post here anymore. I guess it can be less contentious with more blocking capabilities. ;)

1 hour ago, CIK62 said:

What is the Lat/Long of this frozen hell?  I bet they still take a New Years dip in a river or lake after blasting a hole in the ice!  Bodies are recovered by mid May.  Lol.

I have it in my daily updates.  Yakutsk is in Siberia.  It's the coldest city, but not the coldest settlement.  Two other nearby (small) towns are colder- Verkhoyansk and Omjakon.  They are special in another way (actually all three are)- they have the greatest variation in temperature of any locations on the entire planet.  Record low to Record high.  That's why I keep track of them lol.  Verkhoyansk is -90 to +98,  Omjakon is -96 to +94 and Yakutsk is -83 to +106 !

So basically all three of those locations (very close to each other) can go from close to one hundred below zero in the winter to one hundred above zero in the summer!

Just now, bluewave said:

Yeah, this place is very busy compared to some of the other sub forums. It appears that a number of posters have made the move to social media and don't post here anymore. I guess it can be less contentious with more blocking capabilities. ;)

I mean we can post in a number of places at the same time.  I use this, facebook and twitter.

7 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I mean we can post in a number of places at the same time.  I use this, facebook and twitter.

High profile brawls like the January 2008 snow bust thread deletion on the old forum caused some posters to jump ship off the forums.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

High profile brawls like the January 2008 snow bust thread deletion on the old forum got the ball rolling for some posters to jump ship off the forums.

Oh god, I hope people have mellowed out since then.

Do you remember that busted Heavy Snow Warning? I think it was the last one the NWS ever issued.

I think most of us were wondering why they were issued in the first place lol.

I got a kick out of the fact that it was snowing in SW Nassau but raining in interior NJ (I think it had to do with our higher rates.)

On the radar you could see a small blob of white over our region surrounded by a sea of green.

I mean it was only 1-2" but it was funny watching people drive in from surrounding areas being shocked that it was snowing here and raining everywhere else.

How bad were the boards after the unmentionable March 2001?

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Oh god, I hope people have mellowed out since then.

Do you remember that busted Heavy Snow Warning? I think it was the last one the NWS ever issued.

I think most of us were wondering why they were issued in the first place lol.

I got a kick out of the fact that it was snowing in SW Nassau but raining in interior NJ (I think it had to do with our higher rates.)

On the radar you could see a small blob of white over our region surrounded by a sea of green.

I mean it was only 1-2" but it was funny watching people drive in from surrounding areas being shocked that it was snowing here and raining everywhere else.

The writing was on the wall for that January 2008 debacle. You knew it wasn't going to end well when each successive model run getting closer to the event cut back the snow. Very tough winter but the late Feb SWFE eased the let down of that winter slightly.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The writing was on the wall for that January 2008 debacle. You knew it wasn't going to end well when each successive model run getting closer to the event cut back the snow. Very tough winter but the late Feb SWFE eased the let down of that winter slightly.

Yes- that's what I remember most about that winter.  The 6-8" positive bust in February that jackpotted our area.  Didn't change to rain until the very end (drizzle.)  February is the best month for storms of that type.

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived