Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Meteorological winter begins December 1st. Let’s discuss all the banter here. If you’re a weenie and you’re not getting snow please cry in this thread. Snowman19 is banned from this thread lol

The thing with him is that he finds anything anti snow and cold. For example the pattern in mid December is looking amazing so far and boom here he comes in the December thread posting about mount anung starting to erupt. The pattern could be -nao/ao +pna/-epo with a shortwave about to blast up the coast and he’ll find a way to say something negative about it. The moment he says something positive about snow and cold I would be shocked 

47 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

The thing with him is that he finds anything anti snow and cold. For example the pattern in mid December is looking amazing so far and boom here he comes in the December thread posting about mount anung starting to erupt. The pattern could be -nao/ao +pna/-epo with a shortwave about to blast up the coast and he’ll find a way to say something negative about it. The moment he says something positive about snow and cold I would be shocked 

He must have been bullied! I feel bad for that poor kid

• Rjay pinned this topic

EURO WEEKLIES (11/30) show no 7 day period above normal starting with 12/07-14, all the way to mid Jan.

Does give CI Polar Bears a break with a warm NYD spell.  It likes the time near Jan.  08 for some real cold.

Teleconnections never anything to write home about.  AO is slightly negative all the way, but NAO never negative enough for storm suppression.  PNA never too positive.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

@Juliancolton I believe that sunsets are now as early as they are going to get before getting later again next week.  Let the games begin LOL

:lol: Yup, looks like we're at the pivot point. I've already had a couple folks this weekend who wouldn't accept that the earliest sunset isn't on the solstice. Hard to believe that people clutch to long-held beliefs, isn't it?

58 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

:lol: Yup, looks like we're at the pivot point. I've already had a couple folks this weekend who wouldn't accept that the earliest sunset isn't on the solstice. Hard to believe that people clutch to long-held beliefs, isn't it?

It’s science...which is lost on too many people sadly. 

Coming up on the 20th anniversary of the historic 1998 ice storm.

http://forms2.rms.com/rs/729-DJX-565/images/wtr_1998_ice_storm_10_retrospective.pdf

Within the U.S. digital meteorological record, which began in 1948, the magnitude of the 1998 Ice Storm was unprecedented (DeGaetano, 2000). The 1998 event caused freezing rain to fall for 115 hours in Massena, New York, approximately twice as long as any storm in the previous fifty years. The freezing rain precipitation totals from the 1998 storm at Massena, New York (3.5 in or 90 mm) and Burlington, Vermont (2.2 in or 57 mm) were the highest ever recorded during this same time period. Prior to 1948, meteorological records become less reliable and it is more difficult to make precise comparisons with past ice storms. However, from the available information, it is clear that the 1998 Ice Storm was the most severe ice storm to hit the region since the 1921 Great New England Ice Storm or the Ice Storm of 1929.

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Coming up on the 20th anniversary of the historic 1998 ice storm.

http://forms2.rms.com/rs/729-DJX-565/images/wtr_1998_ice_storm_10_retrospective.pdf

Within the U.S. digital meteorological record, which began in 1948, the magnitude of the 1998 Ice Storm was unprecedented (DeGaetano, 2000). The 1998 event caused freezing rain to fall for 115 hours in Massena, New York, approximately twice as long as any storm in the previous fifty years. The freezing rain precipitation totals from the 1998 storm at Massena, New York (3.5 in or 90 mm) and Burlington, Vermont (2.2 in or 57 mm) were the highest ever recorded during this same time period. Prior to 1948, meteorological records become less reliable and it is more difficult to make precise comparisons with past ice storms. However, from the available information, it is clear that the 1998 Ice Storm was the most severe ice storm to hit the region since the 1921 Great New England Ice Storm or the Ice Storm of 1929.

I have lots of memories of this as a kid in Montreal 

20 minutes ago, Morris said:

I have lots of memories of this as a kid in Montreal 

It's pretty wild that you were living there for that event. My biggest ice storm on the immediate South Shore was the January 1994. January 1978 was also very impressive just north of the South Shore bays.

Seems like while the 2000's have produced one historic snowstorm after another, the intensity of ice storms haven't been able to rival 1994 or 1978. February 2007 and 2011 had smaller icing events.

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It's pretty wild that you were living there for that event. My biggest ice storm on the immediate South Shore was the January 1994. January 1978 was also very impressive just north of the South Shore bays.

Seems like while the 2000's have produced one historic snowstorm after another, the intensity of ice storms haven't been able to rival 1994 or 1978. February 2007 and 2011 had smaller icing events.

No electricity for a week. No school. No heat. It was crazy. We had electric stoves, so no hot food. Trees were down all over.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Interesting about 78. So LB missed out, but say Merrick Road did not? I would have loved to have seen that. I remember unc posting that the tree damage near JFK was extreme.

94 wasn’t exactly damaging but definitly beautiful in wantagh. 

The best I’ve storm I have personally experienced was in Towson Md in December 2000. Not epic but there was moderate tree damage. It was also super elevation dependent with a definitive ice line at about 300’ and up

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Interesting about 78. So LB missed out, but say Merrick Road did not? I would have loved to have seen that. I remember unc posting that the tree damage near JFK was extreme.

94 wasn’t exactly damaging but definitly beautiful in wantagh. 

The best I’ve storm I have personally experienced was in Towson Md in December 2000. Not epic but there was moderate tree damage. It was also super elevation dependent with a definitive ice line at about 300’ and up

Northshorewx has a whole gallery of photos from the 1978 ice storm.

http://www.northshorewx.com/19780113.html

EURO WEEKLIES are warm to Hot around the start of winter and again for NYD as I pointed out before.    Heights are practically off the scale then at +400M.   C.I.  Polar Bear Club members will not be rolling in the snow as they were on Jan. 01, 2001.

Meanwhile the CFS remains on its cold kick.    It does battle with the incoming ridge from the west and wins, keeping it a bay to the west and south of us.

I would say the next critical period is the last 10 days of the month, and earlier---whether we get a snow cover around here or not, when all the output says cold.  [12/09-21]

14 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

EURO WEEKLIES are warm to Hot around the start of winter and again for NYD as I pointed out before.    Heights are practically off the scale then at +400M.   C.I.  Polar Bear Club members will not be rolling in the snow as they were on Jan. 01, 2001.

Like time to open up the pools?

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived