Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, uncle W said:

it could be wrong...it could be downplaying a very positive ao...

ao 12 17 17.gif

the black obs line is riding the max red lines on the 10 and 14 day forecast...if it continues that way we should be seeing a plus 3 ao...these forecasts never went below the lowest member forecast but exceeded the highest member forecast a few times...during the Dec 83 arctic outbreak the ao was rising from a negative to almost +4.5 on the 27th...we have seen arctic outbreaks with the ao as high as +5...We never had a major snowstorm with a plus 2 sd ao...

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

the black obs line is riding the max red lines on the 10 and 14 day forecast...if it continues that way we should be seeing a plus 3 ao...these forecasts never went below the lowest member forecast but exceeded the highest member forecast a few times...during the Dec 83 arctic outbreak the ao was rising from a negative to almost +4.5 on the 27th...we have seen arctic outbreaks with the ao as high as +5...We never had a major snowstorm with a plus 2 sd ao...

I remember Dec 83, the gas lines froze in my AMC Spirit and i had to knock on someone's door and beg to be let in to use the phone.....

It is really hard to get a below normal month these days, if we are 1 or 2 above the so-called normal temps we probably will still be cooler than recent trends for december. 1980's were much cooler than today and to some degree as were the 90's and even 2000's. Those averages have nothing to do with today's climate for we are a couple of degrees warmer than that period...just look at the recent trends.

Following Christmas, the guidance suggests a fascinating battle of the teleconnections. The EPO remains forecast to dive to perhaps as low as -3.000. The Arctic Oscillation (AO), which now stands at a monthly high figure of a preliminary +2.047 is forecast by numerous ensemble members to be positive to possibly strongly positive before falling toward New Year’s Day. The PNA is forecast to be fairly neutral (somewhat negative to somewhat positive depending on which ensemble members one examines.

Yet, even as the AO+ can delay the onset of cold (and for that reason I continue to lean toward the ECMWF guidance that shows the cold moving into the East on or just after Christmas Day), the outcome does not always mean that the cold won’t arrive. Should the SOI remain negative, as is currently the case, the cold could be delayed further. However, the guidance currently suggests that the Pacific trade winds will begin to increase, leading to a positive SOI within the next 7-10 days.

Running a composite based on the teleconnections to avoid a possible skewed picture from a disproportionate reliance on the AO, which can have among the largest correlations to outcomes in the northeastern U.S., the following data from the 12/20-31/1981-2010 base period is available for NYC.

All dates:
Mean temperature: 36.0°

Expected pattern based on the AO, PNA, and EPO forecasts: 34.9°
…Expected pattern with an SOI-: 36.6°
…Expected pattern with an SOI+: 33.6° (presently the most likely outcome)

Based on this data, the GEFS, and a preference for the EPS for the Day 10-15 outlook, I remain confident that December has not yet seen its coldest readings in such cities as Bridgeport, New York, and Newark (lowest temperatures respectively 16°, 20°, and 17°). I also expect additional snowfall at all three locations before the month has ended. For the winter as a whole, the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions still remain on course for above to possibly much above average snowfall.

Seasonal snowfall anomalies to date are as follows:

Baltimore: 3.8” (+2.0”)
Boston: 6.1” (+0.8”)
Bridgeport: 6.4” (+3.6”)
New York City: 7.0” (+4.7”)
Newark: 7.1” (+4.4”)
Philadelphia: 7.7” (+6.0”)
Portland: 8.9” (+1.0”)
Providence:  5.7” (No anomaly)
Washington, DC: 1.7” (+0.1”)

In terms of NYC’s monthly temperature, based on a sensitivity analysis using the latest modeled data, the City still has about a 50%-56% probability of having a cold anomaly.

Monthly Mean Temperature:
Through:
12/17 38.2°
12/20 38.4° - 39.0°
12/25 38.6° - 40.2°
12/31 35.9° - 38.4°

At this point the models are all in pretty good agreement. The Euro and CMC bring the Arctic front through on the 26th and the GFS 25th. Either way, the cold comes east after the December thaw this week. Matches the theme of all the competing influences to our pattern right now. -EPO/+NAO/LA Nina/MJO/WPAC forcing/Very warm water of East Coast. So this is a mash up pattern where a bunch of elements are thrown together. The final outcome will be a fusion of all the various influences into a unique December pattern.
Its weird the EPS mean has the front thru during the first part of the 25th and a closed surface slp center off the coast in the Gulf Stream with an uptick in precip during the day on the 25th. Would have been nice if we had the cold established prior as I hate cold chasing the precip. However, we did ok Dec 9 at the beginning of a pattern shift without the cold air fully established so who knows. Maybe its a trend this season.

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
3 hours ago, bluewave said:

At this point the models are all in pretty good agreement. The Euro and CMC bring the Arctic front through on the 26th and the GFS 25th. Either way, the cold comes east after the December thaw this week. Matches the theme of all the competing influences to our pattern right now. -EPO/+NAO/LA Nina/MJO/WPAC forcing/Very warm water of East Coast. So this is a mash up pattern where a bunch of elements are thrown together. The final outcome will be a fusion of all the various influences into a unique December pattern.

Its weird the EPS mean has the front thru during the first part of the 25th and a closed surface slp center off the coast in the Gulf Stream with an uptick in precip during the day on the 25th. Would have been nice if we had the cold established prior as I hate cold chasing the precip. However, we did ok Dec 9 at the beginning of a pattern shift without the cold air fully established so who knows. Maybe its a trend this season.

The EPS was further east with the 540 line by the 25th then the Euro OP - the EPS is trending towards the more aggressive GFS - BUT you can't trust any of these solutions past 3 or 4 days this season so far especially regarding any storms that may or may not be on the horizon ...................

I have said this once and I’m going to say it again. Hopefully people listen this time.

Claiming victory because the models support your thinking for an event or pattern more then 24 hours out needs to stop. It’s ruining legitimate discussion. 

An example. Claiming we are heading into the furnace. Has this occurred? No it hasn’t. So have fun flipping burgers in the snow.

9 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Usually these big Alaska cutoff blocks are more of a sign of coming massive +EPO, US blowtorch, than main pattern driver. 

A massively anomalous Alaskan ridge like that is most certainly a main pattern driver and will push cold air into the lower 48, just a matter of how far east it can get with the SE ridge rearing. 

I dont see how that extreme block signals a  coming US blowtorch.

1 minute ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Happens less when is led by 10mb warming... I guess it's tropical forcing or whatever, but it may not be. is just the pattern of the time. 

Don would probably be able to put it together better than myself but as far as I’m aware I know of no direct correlation between a highly anomalous -EPO being a precursor to a highly anomalous +EPO and widespread above average US temperatures.

28 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Don would probably be able to put it together better than myself but as far as I’m aware I know of no direct correlation between a highly anomalous -EPO being a precursor to a highly anomalous +EPO and widespread above average US temperatures.

It's more common in the 2000s 

47 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Usually these big Alaska cutoff blocks are more of a sign of coming massive +EPO, US blowtorch, than main pattern driver. 

I disagree.

Using the 1981-2010 base period, there were five cases where the EPO fell to or below -3.000 sigma (12/1-1/15 period). Although all cases saw the EPO reach somewhat positive values within 6-11 days after it bottomed out, it took three weeks or longer in 80% of the cases for the EPO to reach +2.000 sigma or above (60% 30 days or longer). In one case, it remained below +2.000 sigma throughout the rest of meteorological winter.

The worst outcome occurred in winter 1989-90. The best outcomes occurred during winters 2004-05 and 2009-10.

The above is a very small sample size, so some caution is in order. However, there is enough data to suggest that the development of a near-term strongly positive EPO is nowhere near a fairly certain outcome.

Archived