Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

You've been lucky to be north of the front over there. Torched to 40 here in Marshall under strong sun! A 7 deg bust by NWS. I miss the staying power of a NMI winter. Down here you score a 7-10 day stretch,  then POOF! spring happens overnight. Ground hasn't frozen since Feb 2015, LOL

How much of your snowpack did you lose today? The warmth almost always seems to overperform in Lower Michigan. No mountains to the south to slow down the advancement of the warmth. Where did you move from?

50 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Quick addition to the above post:

I had NO idea it got that warm in SW Michigan today.

Yuck X 10.

Here's my backyard.

wxStationGraphAll?ID=KMIHOWEL29&type=3&s

Here's a PWS in Lawton, MI.

wxStationGraphAll?ID=KMILAWTO3&type=3&sh

Overnight, it was over 10 degrees colder here than 25 miles south in Holland, MI, where they actually had some rain. At one point it was 26 here with heavy snow, and 37 down there with light rain.

I sure hope the cold air can hold strong and not allow the warmth to advance north. I have been checking forecasted Dewpoints, which seem to mostly warm into the 30s periodically this week. That should keep rapid snow melt in check, compared to Dews in the 40s and 50s with a strong wind and rain.

37 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI made 52 today, 8 degrees short of the record.  Looks like a period of light rain around noon tomorrow.  We could sure use the moisture as we're sitting at just 0.07" for the month, and only had 1.13" in Nov.

I hadn't realized the building drought down south.  Should be taking care of the deficits though in some areas if weeklies/monthlies have the right idea.

20171212_usdm.thumb.png.5a4c7a13961bafe12278be216331f95e.png

2 hours ago, blackrock said:

How much of your snowpack did you lose today? The warmth almost always seems to overperform in Lower Michigan. No mountains to the south to slow down the advancement of the warmth. Where did you move from?

Overnight, it was over 10 degrees colder here than 25 miles south in Holland, MI, where they actually had some rain. At one point it was 26 here with heavy snow, and 37 down there with light rain.

I sure hope the cold air can hold strong and not allow the warmth to advance north. I have been checking forecasted Dewpoints, which seem to mostly warm into the 30s periodically this week. That should keep rapid snow melt in check, compared to Dews in the 40s and 50s with a strong wind and rain.

Started the morning with 6" and guessing avg is down to 4. It's all high ratio clipper stuff, so it settles and compacts quickly as soon as you get close to freezing. We were above 32 for 9.5 hrs. If it's like this all week, I'll be down to piles and green grass for Santa.

I had a place in the forest near TC for 7 years. I know what true winter is. When your lawn gets covered in first week of November and you don't see it again til April. Endless weeks of deep snow and riding your sleds any day you wish. Ofc, if you let too many days pass, you had to un-bury them first!

It got into the mid-upper 30s yesterday here in the morning then settled back in the afternoon. It did not exceed freezing at Detroit City and was over 40 to my west. It had nothing to do with staying power, what part of town you live in, etc. In fact there is as much or more snow on the ground in SE MI than in much of northern lower MI. Yesterday in particular had everything to do with the front. The snow has certainly compacted, to about a half foot. As mentioned the fluffy snows from clippers settle. However with the frozen ground its not like the water is going anywhere, so the water content is pretty dense. Im sure we chip away some more in the coming days, but the key will be if Thu-Fri is a grinch storm.

25353640_10109469737671613_2818098789656

18 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It got into the mid-upper 30s yesterday here in the morning then settled back in the afternoon. It did not exceed freezing at Detroit City and was over 40 to my west. It had nothing to do with staying power, what part of town you live in, etc. In fact there is as much or more snow on the ground in SE MI than in much of northern lower MI. Yesterday in particular had everything to do with the front. The snow has certainly compacted, to about a half foot. As mentioned the fluffy snows from clippers settle. However with the frozen ground its not like the water is going anywhere, so the water content is pretty dense. Im sure we chip away some more in the coming days, but the key will be if Thu-Fri is a grinch storm.

25353640_10109469737671613_2818098789656

Well, the 12Z GFS looks horrid for the end of the week, with the perennial Grinch storm and definite meltdown...with a classic Lakes Cutter.....

The Canadian offers better chances. We'll see which way the Euro sides.

36 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Let's hope that's a blip on the 12Z GFS. If not, the UP is going to be the only place in Michigan not destroyed with rain.

The euro and GFS are in complete agreement too.

I'm tired of having to trailer to the UP every time I want to ride.

My prediction is the Euro will come in somewhere between the GFS and GGEM. I have some choice words for this week's weather....but I will keep it in my head or take to the banter thread. :P

3 consecutive days of 50’s now, 51 currently. Tomorrow forecasted 55,looks like the streak will end at 4. If this arctic outbreak comes to fruition gonna be to little to late, no way it wipes out the + we have built up for the month. Still just a T on the season with nothing more than some mood flakes and flurries. 

3 minutes ago, Chambana said:

3 consecutive days of 50’s now, 51 currently. Tomorrow forecasted 55,looks like the streak will end at 4. If this arctic outbreak comes to fruition gonna be to little to late, no way it wipes out the + we have built up for the month. Still just a T on the season with nothing more than some mood flakes and flurries. 

Western/southern areas have definitely been prone to the warmth lately

7dTDeptUS.png.0d1d922c3cd14a27fd6dc9c990ced5dc.png

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Western/southern areas have definitely been prone to the warmth lately

7dTDeptUS.png.0d1d922c3cd14a27fd6dc9c990ced5dc.png

Thanks for that. Looks like the lakes and the eastern 1/3 of the country has benefited not only from the below normal temps, but decent snow events as  well. Hadn’t realized how much the plains and upper MW have torched this month. Sheesh. 

Well the cold wave is starting to appear in the forecasts. 7 degrees for a high predicted for Christmas Day. Brrrrrrrr.

Edit: Quick look back at the records. Looks like our lowest high on Christmas is -5 in 1983 so at least at this point we shouldn't be breaking that record. -21 is the low record for that day too. Also shouldn't be close to that.

Archived