Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, XfireLOW said:

Deep winter tundra?  Thank you for the laugh.  I needed that.

Glad you needed a laugh. Heres a quick lesson in meteorology 101. The Lakes modify every single arctic air mass. More cloudcover and snowflakes in return for less biting cold is a common side effect, but even on those rare times when this doesn't happen, the airmass is still modified. Plus I was citing official numbers from an urban area, not the middle of nowhere. Rural areas of SE MI still got down to -15F to -20F in this Lake-modified airmass.  

The snowy December is inching higher up into the record books in SE MI. I was slacking a bit on seeing where we stood (obviously Christmas is a busy time of year), but Detroit is already sitting at 9th snowiest December on record with 20.4". If the next few days pan out, it is very realistic to finish around 6th snowiest. Flint is already sitting at 5th snowiest December with 22.2", and a finish around 4th seems likely.

https://www.weather.gov/dtx/snowdec

The first 3 weeks of December were a disaster, and the last week maybe a December to remember. Dropped down to -10 Tuesday night breaking an 82 year record from 1935 (-9). Polar vortex looks to pay a visit early next week. Last nights euro run reminded me of 1/5/14. 

Another 1-3” of snow tomorrow evening, ready to put down a fresh blanket of snow, and let this HP do work. Have -12 in my forecast next week. 

Looking at finishing December with 4.3” of snow. First 3 weeks were a torch, and then the arctic hounds were unleashed the last 7 days. 

Not a hallmark month, but the last week made it better. Wish this clipper would have laid down more than a 1”, but oh well.

Ready for a moisture rich storm, 4 corners, panhandle hook esque. 

3 hours ago, Chambana said:

Looking at finishing December with 4.3” of snow. First 3 weeks were a torch, and then the arctic hounds were unleashed the last 7 days. 

Not a hallmark month, but the last week made it better. Wish this clipper would have laid down more than a 1”, but oh well.

Ready for a moisture rich storm, 4 corners, panhandle hook esque. 

looks like we might be able to cash in on a 1-3" Sunday perfect time with the extreme cold having a fresh snowpack to work with... GFS and GGEM showing this potential 

Archived