Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well things shifted NW at the last minute yesterday, so it's looking less likely that we'll see any accumulating snow (in my backyard at least). Areas north of Atlanta now look to get slammed, but I refuse to deal with the traffic on the north side to check it out. 

Either way, it all works out. I was honestly looking forward to the winter-long break from snow.

31 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Nothing like some mid-December “zzzzzzzzzzz’s” 

Yeah, I feel bad for the IL/IA posters getting left out of at least some clipper/LES stuff. But I also remember getting screwed on several major cutters that buried you guys in the past.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI has a legit shot at 50 today.  Up to 43 already with full sun, and the wind shift is still a few hours away.  HRRR has them reaching 47, so it's gonna be close.  Looks like some rain showers around sunset, and then teens by early tomorrow morning.  

Nope, clouds and wind shift came in a little quicker than I thought.  

Hit 43 here a few hours ago, and now it's snowing and 35.  Winds have changed direction by 180 degrees as the surface low passed right through here.

Today's satellite image shows the fairly localized area of heavy snow in parts of northern IL pretty well.  Sharp cutoff on the northern and southwestern side.  Was surprised to see we maintained quite a bit of the snow when I returned home from work this evening.  Still a nice dusting left even on paved areas.

2r7a79j.jpg

On 12/11/2017 at 4:12 PM, (((Will))) said:

This December really sucks if you're in western ND...40s and 50s every day.

Western ND has the latitude to support cold weather but its far enough west that it is prone to chinook type winds coming from the east slope of the rockies.  I think 40-50s are more common there than the snowfall they had last winter. 

Looks like some very strong wind gust potential late this morning through mid-afternoon for Iowa/IL.  A quick look at some HRRR sounding show 45kts+ at the top of the mixed layer.  Looks like some 50mph wind gust potential for a few hours.  If we can mix a little higher than that warning criteria can't be ruled out.

Low of 8 this morning feels frigid. Our coldest temperature of the season so far. 

Finished up the clipper and LES combo with about 3.0". 

Should add another .5-1" as tonight's system slides to the south. Looks fun for the MI folks. 

While it's not a lot of snow tonight, it keeps some flakes in the air, which makes for 5 consecutive days of snow. Can't complain.

59 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Low of 8 this morning feels frigid. Our coldest temperature of the season so far. 

Finished up the clipper and LES combo with about 3.0". 

Should add another .5-1" as tonight's system slides to the south. Looks fun for the MI folks. 

While it's not a lot of snow tonight, it keeps some flakes in the air, which makes for 5 consecutive days of snow. Can't complain.

Tonight should be even colder with an expected low around 0F (-18C). If so, would be the coldest night at YYZ since February 2016! YYZ up to 5.03" now on the season, mean while Windsor maybe at or above 12" by tomorrow. Continues to be the jackpot area in recent years.

On a side note, I'm increasingly intrigued by the pattern next week into Christmas with the possibility of a decent winter storm for our area. Would have to watch closely as the timing and location of the trough and/or SE ridge could have an impact on the track.

Now wouldn't that be a nice holiday treat, haha.

3 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Tonight should be even colder with an expected low around 0F (-18C). If so, would be the coldest night at YYZ since February 2016! YYZ up to 5.03" now on the season, mean while Windsor maybe at or above 12" by tomorrow. Continues to be the jackpot area in recent years.

On a side note, I'm increasingly intrigued by the pattern next week into Christmas with the possibility of a decent winter storm for our area. Would have to watch closely as the timing and location of the trough and/or SE ridge could have an impact on the track.

Now wouldn't that be a nice holiday treat, haha.

Last winter my lowest temp was 1.1F.

I'm excited at the chances to end that streak tonight. Gotta get the clouds out of here obviously. 

Archived