Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ORDIOWPITMSP said:

Thanks, I'll be sure to fill in the gap for the area. Not to sound creepy but I've been a long time lurker, and probably qualify as a full fledged cold and snow weenie. I'm a geologist by trade so I don't have quite the technical background on weather and forecasting as some of the others here, but do enjoy listening and learning.

Welcome

5 minutes ago, ORDIOWPITMSP said:

Thanks, I'll be sure to fill in the gap for the area. Not to sound creepy but I've been a long time lurker, and probably qualify as a full fledged cold and snow weenie. I'm a geologist by trade so I don't have quite the technical background on weather and forecasting as some of the others here, but do enjoy listening and learning.

I'm sure there are many lurkers. :) Nice to have you joining in on the conversation. Oh, and you're a scientist...close enough! :P 

11 minutes ago, blackrock said:

For Mets: The GFS is showing a Low Pressure moving south along the Lake Michigan shoreline for Friday night/Saturday. That definitely seems like an odd direction. Would it be showing a Meso-low?

Just my opinion, but it may be trying to indicate that.  There's also a lot of upper air support moving in though so maybe some combination of both.

38 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

The 00z GFS is quite possibly the worst run so far this season. That is all.

lol yeah that run was pretty disheartening to say the least.  Hopefully the clipper potential improves some as we move along down the road.  I'm just hoping for some mood flakes to satisfy me at this point.  Only flakes I've seen were almost a month ago back on Nov 12.  I'll just take a few flurries at this point lol.

EDIT:  Dew down to 31 from 57 just 3hrs ago.  Temp has dropped from 65 to 40.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

lol yeah that run was pretty disheartening to say the least.  Hopefully the clipper potential improves some as we move along down the road.  I'm just hoping for some mood flakes to satisfy me at this point.  Only flakes I've seen were almost a month ago back on Nov 12.  I'll just take a few flurries at this point lol.

EDIT:  Dew down to 31 from 57 just 3hrs ago.  Temp has dropped from 65 to 40.

Truly bad thing is, I'm not sold that is gonna happen. Ridge slowly but surely asserts itself over the BC West coast and Pac NW, which in turn has the trough scoot off to the east, which is the opposite direction it needs to go. Several days ago, the trough looked to be several hundred miles west, enabling a more "moist"(if you can call it that) NW flow pattern to take shape. If that trough scoots off to the east, I can't see us scoring, even with clippers. We need the trough to retrograde/reassert itself west, or a zonal/ssw pattern without a big ridge over the west, that would be ideal.

11 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI gusted to 53mph a little while ago.  Precip event ended up as quite a disappointment, but the strong winds sure have delivered.

Not as high here right now.  Not sure if I will get in on the 50+ mph stuff or if it will pass north.

Wind really shaking my house. Snow is getting heavier. Power shut iff while in the shower. I then realuzed I forgot to bring my flahlight upstairs. Had to dry off,dress, and make way down the stairs in pitch black. I thought fir sure it was going to be out for goid but it came back on 10 minutes later. Lights have been blinking since. Ihave my kerosene heaterall filled up ready to go.

Just a notice that the Lakes/OV snowfall contest deadline has been extended to end of Sunday Dec 10th (CST) to encourage a few more entries. You will find this thread near the top of the menu, and you can use an entry form template in post 1 to give forecasts for 20 locations plus three tie-breakers. Hope to see your entry. 

Current entrants who have already posted can edit to the new deadline too. Contest will close at the deadline pronto with a table of entries to follow on the 11th. 

Archived