SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HRRR gust map looks fairly impressive at 17z tomorrow. This is knots so some areas are 45-50 mph on here.  Question will be how much effect the expected cloudiness has.

HRRRCHI_sfc_gust_018.png.33e9396d9bc3b90d18c3b43d9c14405d.png

Yea, the amount of mixing is still in question. Either way it will be windy, but difference will be 30-40mph or 40-55mph.

3km is most bullish, but the HRRRx and HRRR are fairly windy as well.

15 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Last warm day of the year... currently 62 over here, should climb a few more degrees through late afternoon.  I'd love to get lucky and hear thunder later.

The slower frontal timing should help chances.  Gonna be a close call.

60/50 here with a ripping south wind.  Surface pressure should drop a good 8mb between now and early evening when the front arrives.  Going to be interesting watching the dews crash from the upper 50s to the upper 20s in less than 6hrs.

65 at ORD.  That is the 17th time that Chicago has hit 65 or higher in December, so it's about a 1 in 8-9 yr occurrence on average.  The last time was December 2012.  11/17 have occurred in the first six days of the month.

65 was the final for today at ORD, so just missed the record.

65 at MDW as well.

5 minutes ago, tim123 said:

How so you mean strange for december

Well rain in any form is not the norm in December for the MN/Canadian border.  It happens occasionally but not a more than a drizzle, today was out right steady rain for nearly an hour before changing to snow.  Having a storm transition from rain to snow is strange enough here.  I know its more common elsewhere, but up here by the time the colder air arrives, the moisture is gone almost always.

On 12/2/2017 at 0:43 PM, Hoosier said:

I think the Monday wind is getting underplayed a little.  Still think there could be gusts near advisory criteria in the warm sector... if not during the daylight hours then by evening.  It's usually not as favorable of a location for stronger gusts as the post frontal/CAA regime, but in this case we have a deepening surface low which results in a pressure gradient of near/over 50 mb between the sfc low and the sfc high around New England.

The instantweathermaps gust maps are really bullish with an area of 50+ mph but imo that is probably overdone.  

USA_GUSTM_sfc_063-1.gif.4b79b620a0f6e9ad7752b4b493798065.gif

USA_GUSTM_sfc_063.gif.32bebf91b48cbd58ee70b75d0fbacdbc.gif

Instantweathermaps FTW

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/ TUESDAY...

The National Weather Service in Northern Indiana has issued a
Wind Advisory...which is in effect until 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/
Tuesday. 

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* South to southwest winds to 30 mph with gusts to 40 to 45 mph
   shifting to the west overnight.

* The strongest southerly winds are expected from 1000 PM to 1 AM
   EST. West winds behind a cold front may gust to 40 to 45 mph 
   late tonight.

IMPACTS...

* Loose objects will be blown around.

* High profile vehicles will be difficult to drive.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Advisory means that sustained winds of 30 mph or gusts of
45 mph are expected. Winds this strong can make driving
difficult...especially for high profile vehicles. Use extra
caution.

2 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Welcome! Thanks for sharing. We don't have too many Minnesotans on this board, so it will be nice to hear your updates. Enjoy the snowfall!

Thanks, I'll be sure to fill in the gap for the area. Not to sound creepy but I've been a long time lurker, and probably qualify as a full fledged cold and snow weenie. I'm a geologist by trade so I don't have quite the technical background on weather and forecasting as some of the others here, but do enjoy listening and learning.

Archived