SnowHabit
December 2017 Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:
On 11/27/2017 at 4:00 PM, Hoosier said:

That is a monthly map though, so it would not necessarily reflect things happening on a weekly or subweekly scale.  The hope would be to get a shot or two at a juicier system if/when the trough relaxes.  

Here's an example... this monthly map looks like it would be awful/dry, and we got GHD2 out of it.  Now I'm not necessarily suggesting a repeat.  

5a1c8adfe5840_cd2607fb901d9d5c96049ad7fe101_330_14_31.7_prcp.png.8beb246067f0fc0fc0c41b5dccbe9bca.png

You could say that the GHD-2 ingredients were coming together as January ended. After that storm, it was mostly cold and suppressed

Ok, what about this?  A very cold month that was rather active and of course featured the Dec 11 storm.

5a1e32b5ccc6b_cd2607fb901d9d5c96049ad7fe101_331_20_39_15_prcp.png.faa6f6766ed7be132f84120083b06730.png

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

I'm starting to think this month may be epic.

Yes, I'm dragging out the e-word.

That's such a steep hill to climb for my area. Dec 2000 set the bar so high. Something like last December but not running outta gas would be welcomed tho. Calhoun County's primary data site is BC5NW. This map's slightly out of date, they since bumped that 54" up to 55.2" iirc. I'd be thrilled with anything between last year and '00

MWRCC Snowfall Map for Dec2K.jpg

34 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Love/hate with Dec 2000.   50" was  UP lite like.  Then the calendar flipped and it was like living in central Ohio the rest of the winter.

Yep.  I remember Tim and I complaining about it on Wright Weather.  The weird thing is that Jan/Feb weren't really a torch overall, but man did those months do almost everything possible to avoid snow.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

This is where the trough needs to setup, just far enough west to open up the door for stuff to slide northeast and phase with the northern stream vs being crushed by it or phasing on the east coast.

I can agree with this. As I said the other day, cold sets the table for everything.

3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

That's such a steep hill to climb for my area. Dec 2000 set the bar so high. Something like last December but not running outta gas would be welcomed tho. Calhoun County's primary data site is BC5NW. This map's slightly out of date, they since bumped that 54" up to 55.2" iirc. I'd be thrilled with anything between last year and '00

Thanks for posting this. Are there other snowfall maps like this for different years?

Very interesting to see such variable amounts all over the Midwest...even outside of the lake snowbelts. Only an inch or two in several areas of northern Wisconsin, while the next town over recorded 2 feet. It looks like there was a solid system path going from Iowa through Southern WI and northern IL, over through southern Michigan. And...only 18 inches in Gaylord?! Wow.

3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Thought the fact that I couldn't remember much about December 2000 was because those were some pretty crazy times back then, but now after seeing this map maybe that's why lol.

Thought the fact that I couldn't remember much about December 2000 was because those were some pretty crazy times back then, but now after seeing this map maybe that's why lol.

Is that map incorrect? According to NOW Data, Moline had 32" that month, the Morrison COOP had 22", Mt Carroll COOP 26.3", and DeWitt, IA COOP 23", so it seems likely there's an error with the map rather than there being a localized screw zone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Is that map incorrect? According to NOW Data, Moline had 32" that month, the Morrison COOP had 22", Mt Carroll COOP 26.3", and DeWitt, IA COOP 23", so it seems likely there's an error with the map rather than there being a localized screw zone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ah sweet.  Yeah that's certainly a lot better than 2" lol.  

7 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Love/hate with Dec 2000.   50" was  UP lite like.  Then the calendar flipped and it was like living in central Ohio the rest of the winter.

Same for Dec '05, another analog. Pass!

7 hours ago, Baum said:

True.

Would we rather repeat Dec '89? 

3 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Nausea inducing screw hole there 

See Hoosier's later map. This one was prolly 15 yrs old. Only concern with his is a couple Bonanza spots like Lafayette that look suspect.

I am trying to reign in my enthusiasm for the upcoming flip. The guys in the LES belts have every right to be giddy, as it is setting up to be an exciting period for those regions. However, I have some reservations for those of us relying on nice cutter or bowling ball. I understand the positives that have been discussed:

-The strength and longevity of the trough/cold air, including the reinforcing dump of arctic air being depicted near mid-month, resulting in little chance of precip type issues

-The nice snowpack being laid down along/north of the border, making for a nice setup for the rest of winter

-The mention of a trough retrograde, allowing moisture/system snows to pump into the subforum, etc.

Looking at the models in terms of sensible weather is a little disheartening to me. Those worried about cold and dry may have point. I am seeing being dependent on a couple of weak clippers to deliver any goods except for the slight trough relaxation which allows the mid-month spread-the-wealth storm in GFS weenie-land. I'm not going to hang my hat on that one yet, although it is the time period to watch for SOMETHING.

The GFS and EPS both point to a trough reinforcement after that time period, possibly leading to more dry/cold.

I hope that I am completely wrong and know that this may be a nice setup for later in the month, but I have a bad feeling that I may spend early to mid December freezing my reasoner for a few mood flakes.

EDIT: I might have put this in the wrong thread. Maybe it belongs in medium range thread, or better yet, in the complaint thread. lol

6 minutes ago, Baum said:

pattern change is necessary if there is going to be any hope for decent snows for the sub. Fretting details at this juncture probably not worth the effort. BTW...what's wrong with mood flakes at Christmas time?:santa:

Good point. It's just been a couple of years since we've seen the real deal, so I'm getting antsy.

21 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Put me down for hate.

Probably the most frustrating winter weather month I've ever lived through.   CMH recorded 21 days with measurable snow and a total of 3.51" qpf for the month. 

With all that fridid weather, qpf, and 21 out of 31 days having measurable snow....all we had to show for it was around 4" of snow total for the month.    Talk about being nickled  pennied and dimed nickled to death

Archived