Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I would say for the south coast for sure, it is pretty rare. Once you start climbing latitude on the eastern coast of New England, it obviously becomes more frequent...I'd have to look up how often BOS has 3 measurable events before 12/15. Not too common, but not extremely rare either. Off the top of my head, I'd guess maybe 2-3 times per decade?

He's from Long Island, so maybe even rarer there.

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

If it weren't the holiday season, then I'd rather a torch than these drive-by 1-3"ers that blow south of me.

Ugh....uninspiring.

I get what you're saying...but when these lil ones keep hitting you, it is quite nice to see it often like this past week(3 times in a week)...gives you a very wintry appeal and sense of deep winter.  I'm enjoying it.

But I like the Big Ones too...I'd love a major to pop up soon.  

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice Euro run, some fun for everyone.  A couple decent little events up here that could light up at the ski areas and a Christmas Day advisory to low end warning event for SNE/CNE.  

850mb temps never go above 0C up here so that's a good start.

You know deep down it's a pipe dream...get the pond skimming ads ready and prepare for icy ribbons of death after the cutter blasts all the nice powder and packed powder you have down right now.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You know deep down it's a pipe dream...get the pond skimming ads ready and prepare for icy ribbons of death after the cutter blasts all the nice powder and packed powder you have down right now.

Hahaha you know I'm watching every run at this point just praying I don't have to explain to operations that yes it will rain or have to tell the public, yes after an awesome December of powder that 12 hour warm up has glazed the mountain over.

Its not about snow loss, this time of year it takes a bad one to really damage East Slope elevations...but even a 60 minute -RN period can wreck the surface.  It's amazing how fast packed powder can turn to frozen granular.

You can build it for weeks and watch it change in the same time it takes to watch Jeopardy. 

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

Meh we'll see. This feel like a classic mid-Atlantic phantom overrunning event that often show up around D10 and disappear after a run or two... except you move everything further north in this case.

The set up is pretty good for an over running event. You’ll see up in this latitude you don’t need to hope and pray with every storm to get snow. That’s kind of a classic look for overrunning.

Archived