Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No I get what you are saying, I don't think cutters are that disasterous here either and certainly not at the mountain except for surface conditions.  Our benefit is we don't have the CAD you do but we have it to some degree East of the mountains, but we get the CAA first and it's often well into the 20s here before other areas on the end, so duration is limited.

But when you compare storm powder in the long run to a brief melt and freeze, why not keep the storm powder as long as possible and then turn it to ice?  I don't see why you'd want to turn it to ice as soon as possible.  I think you want to delay the first cutter as long as possible because no matter what, each cutter is breaking down the pack in some way.

Now front ender to cutter is a different ball game...can easily go to net gain with a few inches to absorb the rain.

I think of the term cutter as damaging. In your case or the rest of NNE..it's the damming that helps. But a cutter in general would be bad. I know we are talking semantics...but I'd rather have the LE in the pack be from snow..vs both. :lol:  Your second paragraph is on point.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think of the term cutter as damaging. In your case or the rest of NNE..it's the damming that helps. But a cutter in general would be bad. I know we are talking semantics...but I'd rather have the LE in the pack be from snow..vs both. :lol:  Your second paragraph is on point.

Yeah very fair point.  Cutter = bad but maybe you can spin it to being ok because now the pack is frozen.  But yeah the longer I can go without it raining the better IMO, damming or quick cool down aside.

I'll concede that if we are talking non-snow then I want a boatload of sleet to solidify the pack.  That one I can get behind haha.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah very fair point.  Cutter = bad but maybe you can spin it to being ok because now the pack is frozen.  But yeah the longer I can go without it raining the better IMO, damming or quick cool down aside.

I'll concede that if we are talking non-snow then I want a boatload of sleet to solidify the pack.  That one I can get behind haha.

The pack resiliency we had in March 2015 was impressive. The LEQ in the pack that month was able to support my weight. It just did not want to melt. That was the first real true pack I can ever recall. Sure maybe we had 12" packs with lots of water in it at times..but 2-3' of manpack was truly impressive. 

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Make sure it has a comfy pillow. 

it's like a roulette wheel with these models as far as favorable vs not favorable, for winter enthusiasts. 

Spin the wheel... black is is a piece of schit model run you're sad you wasted thirty seconds with... The run lands on white and you get four 3-5er's and an ice-storm.  

Lot's of cold lurking either near by ...occasionally swiping through - also ..variant in timing and magnitude depending on which model and the model's cycle. 

That's why it's foolish to get all upset at a model depiction that shows boring or what have you in this set up...it'll change 6-12 hours later, as today is evidence of.

What looked to be boring yesterday...now has a small event tonight that wasn't there yesterday...and who knows what Friday or Monday may bring.  Sit tight and let this play out before throwing in towels.

Euro may be veering towards the warmer side, but I think the patterns we've been seeing the past week show that not all hope is lost, it is early to tell. Call me crazy but living in Vermont I can feel it when winter is here, and winter has arrived. Don't lose all hope just because a few runs seem to be going off course. At least up North snowfall is going to continue.

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

EPS looks good with the epo in LR but folds it over a tad into a west coast trough, though not as deep as OP. SE ridge shows up but not overpowering. We can work with this. 

a little SE ridge is a good thing. close by=good. over our fannies=bad. very bad

Archived