Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

But it looks nice for aday than it all goes to ****.

Yeah in the city. But I've never really had that problem I guess. Even in ORH I lived on the northern side where there was not a lot of traffic so the snow stayed nice for the most part. 

16 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Really? Jan '13 was good? My memory was we were all melting and discussing the futility record then, which was especially painfully coming directly on the heels of the abysmal '12 season. Maybe that was just in the Boston area.

Sorry, Jan 14. It was my first winter back in CT. Got the year confused, my bad.

My point isn’t whether or not it looks nice or not. I does, I enjoy a good pack as much as much as the next guy. But I don’t rely on it for sports, down here, or income. So if it goes poof, so be it. Won’t obsess over whether tomorrow is 31.9F or 32.1F on my back porch, and whether or not I need to pull a tarp over my yard to protect the last inch from evaporating. 

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We have this debate every year...some like the snow pack because they think it makes the landscape look much nicer. I'm in that camp. I can understand those who aren't....but int he end it's different strokes for different folks. It's a subjective opinion.

It’s subjective what folks like. What isn’t up for debate, is it is unrealistic to expect sustained snowpack anywhere in SNE.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s subjective what folks like. What isn’t up for debate, is it is unrealistic to expect sustained snowpack anywhere in SNE.

ORH averages 71 days per winter with snow cover and several of the hill towns north and west average even more...so I will disagree with your "isn't up for debate" proclamation. Even up by Ray's area on the CP averages around 60 snow cover days per winter. That is 2 months worth of snow cover.

24 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sorry, Jan 14. It was my first winter back in CT. Got the year confused, my bad.

The month of the oxymoronic trifecta:  temps 3.5F BN, precip significantly AN, least snowy of 19 Januarys at my place.  Thru the 11th that month, average daily temp was 17/-9 (13F BN), I'd recorded 2.53" precip and 2.1" snow.  Only some spectacularly bad timing makes that combo possible.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The month of the oxymoronic trifecta:  temps 3.5F BN, precip significantly AN, least snowy of 19 Januarys at my place.  Thru the 11th that month, average daily temp was 17/-9 (13F BN), I'd recorded 2.53" precip and 2.1" snow.  Only some spectacularly bad timing makes that combo possible.

I hate that month

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It is. But in this pattern it would be nice to have a negative NAO to help reduce the chance for cutters.  Canada is mighty cold. It’s good to have that source region cold

Yeah we could use a -NAO right about now on this Euro run...looks like 12/18 is going cutter.

3 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

You would think with a negative WPO, negative EPO as well as a positive PNA and a MJO phase 8 it would be colder than the long range not warmer. 

It’s more - pna. It’s not a warm pattern. But if storms amplify, they could cut West or  overhead we just don’t know. They could also go just to our south east and give us ice and snow who knows.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Outside my window at work in the immediate Boston area the ground is still snow covered. So there hasn’t been a lot of melting outside of Kevin’s tantrum this morning.

Drove in late to Quincy and was surprised that they were still mostly snow covered at this hour. Guess that paste job is giving a bit of resistance. I expect plenty of bare spots by the time I leave, but right now, its only really in the typical spots (next to roads on the sun torched areas)...the flat ground is all covered. So I'm guessing most of our folk outside of 128 (and perhaps some inside there) will still have cover in several hours when the front starts coming through.

Anyway, Euro is pretty boring...attempted a cutter for 12/18, but it kind of failed. Kind of got sheared out into nothing. Still watching this weekend though...prob nothing big, but it could still trend into a modest event.

Archived