Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoth said:

I have found Kevin's pessimism to generally be an excellent leading indicator of nascent epicosity. Feb 2013 and Jan 2015 in particular stand out as periods when he blithely condemned us to futility or a few nickels and dimes.

At least then we actually had nickels and dimes to look forward to . There’s literally nothing right now thru mid next week . And as of now a warm cutter pre Xmas .It just looked so promising. I guess we’re lucky we had last weekend .  Like I said earlier.. things can change. Hopefully they do 

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

At least then we actually had nickels and dimes to look forward to . There’s literally nothing right now thru mid next week . And as of now a warm cutter pre Xmas .It just looked so promising. I guess we’re lucky we had last weekend .  Like I said earlier.. things can change. Hopefully they do 

Yeah, they will. But as it is only December 12 and we have a 6" storm under the belt already, I'm feeling pretty good relative to recent seasons. Think this will ultimately be a target rich environment after the holiday. And lets face it, almost every year has offered up some kind of major to historic event for most of the last decade. Mar '17, Feb '17, Jan '16, Jan/Feb '15, all those frigid fluff storms in '14, Feb '13, Oct '11, Jan '11, Dec '10, etc. etc. I'm sure this winter will have some fun stuff to track, but we always have a few boring or warm interludes. At least there's no one-eyed pig out there.

We could easily get a good event in the next 10-12 days...man, some of you are quick to throw in a towel. I wouldn't even throw in the towel for this weekend yet. Not looking great, but it doesn't need a huge trend. Could easily be a minor event...if you're looking for historic top 10 snowstorms, then you might be out of luck though.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Snow OTG is overrated in SNE.  Keep it where it belongs up North.  Go big or go home is my motto.

Never understood the snowpack snobs in SNE. I enjoy festive snow days, regardless of amount, but outside of that.... I couldn’t care less if it washes away. I’m not relying on it to sled my way to work. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Never understood the snowpack snobs in SNE. I enjoy festive snow days, regardless of amount, but outside of that.... I couldn’t care less if it washes away. I’m not relying on it to sled my way to work. 

As fun as sustained pack months like Jan '11 and Feb '15 are, I'd much rather go big and melt than have a series of small events hanging around and getting crusty and brown.

We have this debate every year...some like the snow pack because they think it makes the landscape look much nicer. I'm in that camp. I can understand those who aren't....but int he end it's different strokes for different folks. It's a subjective opinion.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That's ok, We'll hold onto it for you up here..............;)

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

With the amount of salt/sand they use now to treat roads, it becomes a mess rather quickly and you need to use your wipers/cleaner all the time to keep it off.  It becomes a nuisance after 24hrs.

Just now, Hoth said:

As fun as sustained pack months like Jan '11 and Feb '15 are, I'd much rather go big and melt than have a series of small events hanging around and getting crusty and brown.

They can be good when you have constant refreshers, sure. Jan 13 I think was good for snowpack too. But I’m not praying my last 2” is not gone when I get home today. I don’t know what I will do if it is.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We have this debate every year...some like the snow pack because they think it makes the landscape look much nicer. I'm in that camp. I can understand those who aren't....but int he end it's different strokes for different folks. It's a subjective opinion.

I guess if i didn't want snow on the ground i would move south.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s a difference between liking how the landscape looks and obsessing over every last inch for emotional reasons. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

But it looks nice for aday than it all goes to ****.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Snowpack is good for that reason, also because it helps folks logging in winter (which action supplies a goodly part of my salary), and shortens mud season by limiting the depth of frost.

But it looks nice for aday than it all goes to ****.

That's an urban thing.  Those fortunate enough to live in the sticks don't have to put up with that (unless it's Feb-Mar 2010.  46 consecutive AN days with nothing that looks like real snow makes for ugly.)

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We could easily get a good event in the next 10-12 days...man, some of you are quick to throw in a towel. I wouldn't even throw in the towel for this weekend yet. Not looking great, but it doesn't need a huge trend. Could easily be a minor event...if you're looking for historic top 10 snowstorms, then you might be out of luck though.

I'd be stunned if this weekend brought widespread accumulating snowfall. 

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They can be good when you have constant refreshers, sure. Jan 13 I think was good for snowpack too. But I’m not praying my last 2” is not gone when I get home today. I don’t know what I will do if it is.

Really? Jan '13 was good? My memory was we were all melting and discussing the futility record then, which was especially painfully coming directly on the heels of the abysmal '12 season. Maybe that was just in the Boston area.

Archived