Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

10 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

It looks like we could have a full on phased jet structured storm system become a large nor'easter with snow and wind come Friday of this week and into Saturday, GFS shows the jets disconnected now, but we just need the northern stream to speed up some, which has happened in the past, remember the Blizzard of 2010, Boxing Day Blizzard 2010?

I don't see anything remotely close to sufficient ridging out west to allow us to avail of that potential.

Its there initially, but gets shunted.

The hope is that the clipper dives enough to induce something noteworthy on its own accord, but I would like to see the ridge out west hold better in that regard, as well.

Looks lame.

Sorry-

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS looks crazy in the long range, agreeing with the EPS and GEFS on the large -EPO block returning with a -25C PV moving into Hudson Bay. I mean I wouldn't normally post a 384 map, but this is just incredible and supported by ensemble guidance as well as MJO progression for a while...should provide a very fun period of winter around the Holidays:

record-epo.gif

Yeah... I wouldn't sell on Friday based on what I'm seeing anyway - 

punt tomorrow ... save for the elevations and farther up into NNE...  Jesus, even BGR slabs to +7 C at 900 mb, and our winds are already SW down here ...  there's literally   0 ageostrophic component even offer glazing.  We'll see how it plays out but I'm fine and less shocked at the notion of this just simply having not turned in our favor as we've closed in on it in time.

As for Friday, as James and other's have noted ...and is common sense really, the flow doesn't offer up a solid state sampling of that potential in the atmosphere until mid week. And, given to the "flattish" (while still being SOME semblance of +PNAP) pattern, that also means that it's going to likely rocket from the west coast of N/A to the east coast in under 72 hours (fast flow notwitsanding either).   All of which usually isn't the best modeling performance circumstances to begin with. 

Let's see ...over the last 8 days we've witness a solid winter storm go from prevalent, to gone, to insisted by the NAM...to everyone doubting said NAM, to NAM ultimately scoring a coup even though it too wavered in late innings...  

interesting..

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... I wouldn't sell on Friday based on what I'm seeing anyway - 

punt tomorrow ... save for the elevations and farther up into NNE...  Jesus, even BGR slabs to +7 C at 900 mb, and our winds are already SW down here ...  there's literally   0 ageostrophic component even offer glazing.  We'll see how it plays out but I'm fine and less shocked at the notion of this just simply having not turned in our favor as we've closed in on it in time.

As for Friday, as James and other's have noted ...and is common sense really, the flow doesn't offer up a solid state sampling of that potential in the atmosphere until mid week. And, given to the "flattish" (while still being SOME semblance of +PNAP) pattern, that also means that it's going to likely rocket from the west coast of N/A to the east coast in under 72 hours (fast flow notwitsanding either).   All of which usually isn't the best modeling performance circumstances to begin with. 

Let's see ...over the last 8 days we've witness a solid winter storm go from prevalent, to gone, to insisted by the NAM...to everyone doubting said NAM, to NAM ultimately scoring a coup even though it too wavered in late innings...  

interesting..

For the record, NAM didn’t pick this up (this past weekend system) until others were already firm.  Then it went gangbusters.  At least that’s how I remember it.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

For the record, NAM didn’t pick this up (this past weekend system) until others were already firm.  Then it went gangbusters.  At least that’s how I remember it.

I saw the NAM hit that at 78 or 84 hours ... 

I think it picked it up right out of the box actually - could be wrong... But it really, relative to it's standards, did fantastic for beyond 60 hours...   And quite objectively, as a total event stack ... it performed the best.  

The issue I see with the potential later in the week,  right now, is there is a de-amplifying ridge out west.  If that can hold onto that ridging a bit it would allow for downstream troughing and the potential for the storm to hit southern areas.  Not gonna be a blockbuster storm by any stretch but a modest event could occur if that ridge holds.

18 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The issue I see with the potential later in the week,  right now, is there is a de-amplifying ridge out west.  If that can hold onto that ridging a bit it would allow for downstream troughing and the potential for the storm to hit southern areas.  Not gonna be a blockbuster storm by any stretch but a modest event could occur if that ridge holds.

Yeah flow is rather progressive so nothing more than a light event if at all.

7 hours ago, nzucker said:

0z GFS looks crazy in the long range, agreeing with the EPS and GEFS on the large -EPO block returning with a -25C PV moving into Hudson Bay. I mean I wouldn't normally post a 384 map, but this is just incredible and supported by ensemble guidance as well as MJO progression for a while...should provide a very fun period of winter around the Holidays:

record-epo.gif

50 minutes ago, klw said:

One Grinch storm after another with a long duration rain for 23-25.  Wretchcable.  Only good think it is long range GFS

Ok, so from what I can see these two quotes are completely opposite?   One guy says it(LR) looks incredible, the other says the LR is wretched?   The GFS says one thing at 0z, and then the complete Opposite at 6z?  Obviously it's an OP run and all that....just amazing how opposite the two posts are. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I saw the NAM hit that at 78 or 84 hours ... 

I think it picked it up right out of the box actually - could be wrong... But it really, relative to it's standards, did fantastic for beyond 60 hours...   And quite objectively, as a total event stack ... it performed the best.  

Could someone confirm?  Am I “misremembering”?

54 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ok, so from what I can see these two quotes are completely opposite?   One guy says it(LR) looks incredible, the other says the LR is wretched?   The GFS says one thing at 0z, and then the complete Opposite at 6z?  Obviously it's an OP run and all that....just amazing how opposite the two posts are. 

Lots of storms, marginal (or worse) temps.  At least it shouldn't be dull, as seen from this (ridiculous) distance.

There is subtle differences in the orientation of the flow over the northeast that may allow for a weak clipper type storm.  Here are the 00z Euro and GFS 500mb for comparison.  As you can see the flow is compressed over the northeast lon the GFS and the Euro has the flow just a hair less compressed and tilted the flow more ENE.

ecmwf_z500_noram_84.thumb.png.b5ff8b16fd939315128b00a1066f63e3.png

gfs_z500_noram_84.thumb.png.2f47bb1de4dbaa986909b5bcaa19ce4f.png

Archived