Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

It's pretty cool. I'm actually most excited for an IR temp sensor we have that measures road temp. 

CTDOT slowly started putting those in about 15 years ago, now most (if not all) of our winter assignment vehicles have them, very cool.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah this thing cost a lot of money I think... they sell to DPWs and it mounts on the front bumper. I was surprised how well it works. We have the data coming back to the stations (lat/lon/ambient air temp/road sfc temp)

About $600.00 in 2000ish, not sure what they are now

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Saturated is a good measure of consistent clouds.  No doubt its probably hours and hours of clouds this weekend.  But that's only one part of the equation.

Looks like there's two distinct periods of some UVVs moving through your area on most models... for example the latest GFS has measurable precip in 3 of 8 panels for the weekend in Tolland.

Oh come on, why did you have to ruin the fun. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Oh come on, why did you have to ruin the fun. 

In my mind the chance for accumulating snow for him is near 100% for the whole weekend/two-wave deal....be it 0.5" or 6".  But this 36-48 hours of straight snow talk, it takes a lot of self restraint that I apparently don't have, ha.

2 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah this thing cost a lot of money I think... they sell to DPWs and it mounts on the front bumper. I was surprised how well it works. We have the data coming back to the stations (lat/lon/ambient air temp/road sfc temp)

The under wheel camera is wicked cool, you guys should go past Tolland and come east one of these days

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

In my mind the chance for accumulating snow for him is near 100% for the whole weekend/two-wave deal....be it 0.5" or 6".  But this 36-48 hours of straight snow talk, it takes a lot of self restraint that I apparently don't have, ha.

Nah, they happen all the time in SNE.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You fell for the weak jab in round 1, save your strength for the hooks and uppercuts in later rounds.  

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Like I said, you can buy into that nonsense all you want...that depiction will change and there will be no nonstop -snow from Friday night through Sunday night...

now with an hour break between 9-10 am...too dam funny.  Sell Kev.   SELL. 

Are you and James related? 

Meanwhile, very low expectations in GC.

35.3/21

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Omg...i have one of those. Fun stuff. I love aiming them up at Cu clouds on SCT days. It’ll hit a cloud and be about 15C colder than 2m and then drop way below zero with clear sky. Mine has a 10deg FOV and measures the clear sky temp up around 450mb. So I was able to log the data and estimate the low/mid level cloudiness at night by making algorithms with the delta T’s. It works during the day too, but sun hitting the sensor affects it...using solar radiation algorithms compared to what’s expected works better for daytime cloudiness estimates.

As soon as I read Ryan’s post I expected a reaction like this from you lol. :weenie:

Archived