Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What happened in here this morning?

I wasn't expecting semi-melts this early...I was thinking it would be more like 3-4 days from now when the D9 system disappears from model guidance

Just wait until we are entrenched in weeks of BN cold only to see cutter-> whiff -> whiff.  You'll have to raise suicide watch flags.  Lol. 

I don't think that will happen but I like to keep myself mentally prepared to puff the cirrus pipe. &

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not an altogether unsatisfactory Euro evolution out there in time, though ...the usual uncertainty reasons lurk. 

folks need to remember ... these high fallootin undulatory movements in the atmosphere are spatial-temporal nightmares in the models ... intensity too...  so, it's a decent solution for the idea that whatever passes through does so very quickly with lighter amounts.   I saw a snow graphic with 2-6" with the 6 in a stripe over eastern zones.  

but push comes to shove... who knows if that wave will even exist in those positions in space and time on the next run. 

I feel like this is the time of year those anafrontal deals can work out... you have decent low level air masses that aren't well mixed like you have other times of the year.  So it's not like you have to wait 8 hours for the low levels to cool after 850mb goes below freezing.  The front goes through and the whole column drops quickly to get snow to reach the surface.  

44 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

You would take 60/61 over Feb 2015?   That's impressive.  

It's about location.  I'd take 60-61 once over 10 2014-15s, because I was in NNJ back then, where the snows were more anomalous than they were in SNE - 3 storms 18-24" with a 12" paste bomb on 3/23 as the exclamation point.  And because 14-15 was a good but could've been The Greatesttm if 3-4 big storms had not mega-busted for western Maine.

Happy Birthday Jerry!!! And many more!

He's now as old as I am!  (For a few months)

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. May end up advisory type deal 

The take away is that it drops accumulating snow from SYR to BOS and everywhere between following the front.   That's a much better outcome for everyone than trying to get one specific wave to form on the boundary and time it right.  Today's run just had a traversing band of precip that changed to snow for all.  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The take away is that it drops accumulating snow from SYR to BOS and everywhere between following the front.   That's a much better outcome for everyone than trying to get one specific wave to form on the boundary and time it right.  Today's run just had a traversing band of precip that changed to snow for all.  

I mentioned Feb 5th 16 earlier, a nice wave on a slowed front would be good or just a follow up 2 days later as depicted on the Euro. 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My reading comp. is pretty good...and there was a bit of an undertone there...but I figured he didn't mean that. Probably guarding against expecting Feb 2015.

I believe they calculated the probability of another 90+" 30 day period at 0.000037%. People shouldn't expect that unless they plan on living another few dozen millennia.

Don't post a whole lot on here but have to for old man Jerry.    Jerry we have never met but I've read you since the old ne.weather newsgroups.  Thank you for all the entertainment over the years and may the squirrels in front of your yard weigh 400 lbs right now :jerry::snowing:

Many more Happy Birthdays for you ! 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Jesus I was happy about my post..lol. Please tell me where I said slop and rain followed by cold.

I thought your post was great and I got it instantly. When reading this thread over the past week it is just amazing how spoiled we have all been, especially folks in eastern and southeastern zones. 

Sounds like the possibilities are endless.

My goodness it is just the beginning of the month and we are a million miles away from the furnace of October past.

26 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It's about location.  I'd take 60-61 once over 10 2014-15s, because I was in NNJ back then, where the snows were more anomalous than they were in SNE - 3 storms 18-24" with a 12" paste bomb on 3/23 as the exclamation point.  And because 14-15 was a good but could've been The Greatesttm if 3-4 big storms had not mega-busted for western Maine.

Happy Birthday Jerry!!! And many more!

He's now as old as I am!  (For a few months)

Thank you tamarack!  I should know your first name as I’m among the few here that would not need to say mr...lol.

You stated the 60-61 argument perfectly!

7 minutes ago, TheBudMan said:

Don't post a whole lot on here but have to for old man Jerry.    Jerry we have never met but I've read you since the old ne.weather newsgroups.  Thank you for all the entertainment over the years and may the squirrels in front of your yard weigh 400 lbs right now :jerry::snowing:

Many more Happy Birthdays for you ! 

Thank you!!!

Funny thing is squirrels are fairly tubby this year.

Here's the funny thing about Feb 15, and anything extraordinary like that, and that is, that extraordinary outcome couldn't have been predicted either.  Nobody knew/or thought that was coming in the door when the pattern was being depicted. I'm sure we were all hoping, but nobody knew that would have happened...especially for Eastern areas.  Just like now....that incoming pattern in Feb 15 looked exceptional and had a lot of potential...but nobody would have guessed that outcome would have taken place..nobody.  It could have flopped just like other great patterns did.  But it delivered, and Hugely so.    

This looks exceptional too...especially for December.  We really don't know whats going to walk through this door either??  It could be something very special(no one knows), or just mediocre at best, or anything in between?   Point is, the upcoming pattern is looking about as good as it can look for what we all love, and that's all that can be said right now.  Details to be determined obviously...just like any other potential great pattern.  Huge outcomes can't be predicted in advance by looking at an upcoming great pattern...that's the whole mystery(good and not so good) behind the potential.  Time will tell.  

No one should be expecting monster outcomes...but it sure looks promising...exciting anticipation ahead at the very least.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah just the nature of ensemble members. I still would not expect every storm white..esp coast. With such sharp plunges of cold into Midwest...you risk the chance of lows coming too close for comfort. The good news is that the NAO isn't raging +.   We pretty much have higher than avg H5 anomalies in Greenland the whole time.

I agree...some mix def. expected. 

Archived