Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Haha. I gave up. It's too slow, and I am wondering if it will even get "corrected". I will keep it, but if wx.graphics adds enough of the other ens stuff I might cancel it.

WOO HOO!!! Up to day 7 now. :) 

I have been considering other options as well. The missing panels and slow loading times has been really working my nerves lately.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I'm just saying, both the EPS and the GEFS have upped the snow mean dramatically. Is this a sign of things to come? ^_^

gefs_snow_mean_washdc_65.png

eps_tsnow_m_washdc_61.png

And that is just using 10 to 1 ratios. With all this cold we should probably use Kuchera snow ratios. Easily 20 to 1 ratios. Heck it's going to be so cold it will probably be 30 to 1 ratios. So triple these numbers and that should give you a good idea how much snow you will get in the next 15/16 days. So book the DC/BALT corridor for anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of cold smoke. :o

_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

Just funning. Thought I would jump onto the hype train and get the weenies worked up. B)

9 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

And that is just using 10 to 1 ratios. With all this cold we should probably use Kuchera snow ratios. Easily 20 to 1 ratios. Heck it's going to be so cold it will probably be 30 to 1 ratios. So triple these numbers and that should give you a good idea how much snow you will get in the next 15/16 days. So book the DC/BALT corridor for anywhere from 4 to 6 inches of cold smoke. :o

_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

Just funning. Thought I would jump onto the hype train and get the weenies worked up. B)

Choo- Choo... All aboard 

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:
1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:
Man the 12z EPS looks cold. That piece of the PV really drops the hammer late in the run to reload the cold too.

Where do u guys get the LR (240hr+) eps? Dont care about getting it early. Any free sites with this data?

http://wx.graphics/models/ecmwf/eps.php

Weenies should understand that as cold as the Euro ensembles look, day 15 is showing surface temp anomalies of around -4c over the Dca/Bwi area. That works out to around -7.2F. At Bwi, the average temps on December 13 are 46/29, so we're talking 38-39/21-22 for temps. I'm sure should that forecast come to fruition, we'll hear complaints that the models busted despite reality.

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Weenies should understand that as cold as the Euro ensembles look, day 15 is showing surface temp anomalies of around -4c over the Dca/Bwi area. That works out to around -7.2F. At Bwi, the average temps on December 13 are 46/29, so we're talking 38-39/21-22 for temps. I'm sure should that forecast come to fruition, we'll hear complaints that the models busted despite reality.

Yeah this isn't going to be mid January brutal cold. If it verifies, it will likely be as cold as we need it to get the desired result. 2 of the 3 big storms in 2009-10 began with temps in the mid 30s. We had the block, the track, and the dynamics all in our favor, so marginally cold temps leading in were not an issue.

9 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

It’s a good point and I think that’s the sort of multi day average you could expect. I’d expect a few days with lows in the teens and highs near freezing or below if that look verifies. Of course if we do get some snow cover...

Just had a chance to glance over the individual members of the EPS. The day 8/9 period that it looks as if the EPS and the GEFS may be keying on for a possible storm shows some promise. Not going to count them but it looks as if roughly a third of the members show decent precip totals (day 7 through day 10) of at least a third to a half inch through the region or close enough to DC/Balt corridor to warrant interest. A handful have an inch or more through the corridor. If we were to see a storm odds would probably favor rain or mostly rain at this time because of timing issues with the cold. 

eta: Thought I would also mention a handful get at least an inch or two of snow into the region with 2 members with 4 to 6 inches.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Ooops. Typo. Yes, the 18z gfs won't make any friends in this sub. The Jags may have their first home snow game in history though. 

Ha, just saw that.  I'm actually somewhat encouraged by the 18z in that there's some southern stream energy moving through the whole time.  Just all squashed to hell and gone.  I bet that boundary relaxes northward in reality, but not sure if it ends up close enough for southern slider action.  Either way, I think clippers are our best hope for at least the first week of the #epicpattern.  And I'll still take frozen brown ground over mowing in December any time.  

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Ha, just saw that.  I'm actually somewhat encouraged by the 18z in that there's some southern stream energy moving through the whole time.  Just all squashed to hell and gone.  I bet that boundary relaxes northward in reality, but not sure if it ends up close enough for southern slider action.  Either way, I think clippers are our best hope for at least the first week of the #epicpattern.  And I'll still take frozen brown ground over mowing in December any time.  

Yea, I wasn't taking it seriously. Just pointing out that getting a mega block isn't how we get snow here. We need to be in atmospheric war zone. That's what made 13-14 so fun. Never had blocking other than the EPO but the pv drops were relentless. Progressive patterns (when the cycle is friendly) aren't all bad. 

Hypothetically....if we do get a period suppression depression it will relax at some point. It always does. That's when the big ones can happen. Nothing looks like a nina right now. Models are all locked into more of a nino pattern and it's weird honestly. Not sure the whys but Mitch will plead the case for a trough in Japan and the QBO working their magic. lol

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived