• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 17-19 Wind/Rain/Snow

Hoosier

GFS looks good to get some snow in southern ON Saturday night into Sunday. Could see an inch or so in my backyard and more up towards Bruce Peninsula. 

Borderline thermals so areas near the lake such as YYZ might see some flakes but no accumulation. 

Pretty good LES signal on the GFS after the system passes to the east. Don't usually see that on the GFS, only the mesoscale models so I think that's a good sign. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

They did well depicting the area that would receive snow, but were way off on amounts, before eventually correcting very short term.

Yeah same for the HRRR as well.  HRRR was slow to catch on with the snow at first, but then it became much more NAM-like when it was within about 6-8hrs.  They definitely overdid the accumulations, although I will say they weren't too far off.  It snowed here pretty nicely for quite awhile and it only amounted to a T.  A degree or two difference at the skin layer would have made a big difference.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, it had been hinting at a changeover to snow in the enhanced band.  There are borderline low level thermal profiles so I'm not sure how much would actually accumulate.  Like I said though, it would be interesting to see the globals synoptics with the NAM temp profiles lol

Always a bit apprehensive about these backside rain to snow changeovers. Seems that lately either thermals are a bit off and the temp isn’t low enough until the precip is gone, or there is isn’t enough moisture getting wrapped around for it to matter. 

Been a long time since I have seen the old wraparound overperform. 

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not quite like the most extreme runs (had it at that pressure around Lake Huron) but it's getting back toward something like that.

If that depiction is close to accurate location/strength-wise, Northern/Northeast IN is guaranteed a LES band swinging through. At least I'll get to see some flakes.

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

If that depiction is close to accurate location/strength-wise, Northern/Northeast IN is guaranteed a LES band swinging through. At least I'll get to see some flakes.

Would be nice to finally see my first legit flakes flying. Last night's system got more amped last-minute, so the trend could be our friend over the weekend as well. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That 3k run is crazy lol.  The deepening to that intensity also results in an impressive wind response, with an area of 65 kt winds at 850 mb on the back side toward the end of the run.

Yeah, check out S Lk Mich - surf's up! Apparently the 3km is the new over-amped NAM model for eye candy

3 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Someone would get blizzard conditions if it flips to snow and meets time length criteria. Lots of ifs.

I would get trained by multiple rounds of thunderstorms before the low blows by.

Somebody getting trained looks quite possible.  Multi model signals for that.

Thunderstorms on the warm side, and then solid snow on the backside wrap around? LOCK IT IN. :lmao::weenie:

For real, the 3k has some eye candy, but I have to agree with the questioning of the thermodynamic profiles along with low's intensity and location. Hasn't been a low-980 storm south of the toll road in awhile (at least in my memory at present, I should research once I get home).

Those 3km NAM forecasts are pretty sweet.  Would love to see something like that work out.  Would be a hell of a wild day of weather for northeast IN/northwest OH.  We had something similar to that back in December 2012.  Started the morning with heavy rains that very quickly switched to very heavy snow and blizzard conditions.  Never seen such a fast transition and immediate accumulation.

EDIT:  Radar loop from that 2012 event.  https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=100&interval=5&year=2012&month=12&day=20&hour=7&minute=35

15 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Calling for a high near 60 Sat. with t storms and gusty winds in Indpls metro area.  NWS must be looking at the 3k NAM.

The GFS MOS is calling for 60 as well. I'm guessing the model blend we use is similar as well. It'll probably end up being warm before I can get outside to experience it. :)

40 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Those 3km NAM forecasts are pretty sweet.  Would love to see something like that work out.  Would be a hell of a wild day of weather for northeast IN/northwest OH.  We had something similar to that back in December 2012.  Started the morning with heavy rains that very quickly switched to very heavy snow and blizzard conditions.  Never seen such a fast transition and immediate accumulation.

EDIT:  Radar loop from that 2012 event.  https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=lotrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=100&interval=5&year=2012&month=12&day=20&hour=7&minute=35

Yep I remember that one.  

982 mb over Chicago.  IIRC, the NWS was calling for gusts near 70 mph near the Indiana shore but I don't think it panned out.

namussfc2012122021.gif.4cca5c18fff35135a428c393da943571.gif

57 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Thanks for posting that radar loop. I also remember that. I ended up with 1.2" of snow with the wrap around. I also remember this forecast for that day (Mayan calendar):

ht_doomsday_mayan_end_wy_121220_wblog.jpg

Archived