• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    skat322
    Newest Member
    skat322

Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

46 minutes ago, JB Fins said:

Eh, can't argue with them based on model output. 

Me thinks I got spoiled from the December blockbuster, now anything short of a warning criteria is just "meh" 

Timing will be tough for schools though, even though you get a switchover to rain, it likely doesn't clear everything up before your 2 hour delay option so I think Henrico and surrounding may have to make a call at 5AM tomorrow as not certain enough to make tonight although parents pressure about the 5AM wakeup from Jenks and blah, blah, blah, not enough time to plan may weigh in.

pretty much... I doubt schools will open.. unless the snow/ice is delayed or doesnt happen at all.....  rush hour in the morning prob will be the worst of the storm  5-8am  .. Main roads prob will be fine after that time frame but back roads and  neighborhoods prob wont be treated enough... So schools will mostly call it a day if anything icy is still on the roads..

6 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

EURO looks like more snow for RIC. 1-2" looks safe, maybe 3 if we're lucky. 

all gonna depend on how fast it changes to sleet.. when it happens there is no changing back.. ha 

Just now, eaglesin2011 said:

all gonna depend on how fast it changes to sleet.. when it happens there is no changing back.. ha 

Agree. And if we can get precip in here quicker. The way this winter has gone though it wouldn't surprise me if it's mainly sleet and then rain. 

19 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

it's mainly sleet and then rain. 

Ugh, Dirty Slurpee, would be just the way to cap a season that once seemed to have such promise.

58 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

Agree. And if we can get precip in here quicker. The way this winter has gone though it wouldn't surprise me if it's mainly sleet and then rain. 

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current/usa

Well the T-STORMS really are bringing that warm air in quick... so any chance we prob have is if the precip moves in quicker then expected... At least its cloudy now.. TEMPS shouldnt be going up much more from here..45.4  F here in Glen Allen

I guess it was 3-4 years ago now, but do you guys remember a similar storm that dumped a ton of sleet on Richmond and surprised areas like Staunton with 20" of snow?  I can remember the forecast being for hardly any frozen precip for RVA and only 3-4" of snow before flipping out West, but the CAD was much stronger than forecasted.  We can hope for something similar this time around.

the radar continues to look much more expanded eastward than models want to show.  not sure if this means we'll see more of a front end thump before the changeover.  looks to me that where the radar is now is what the models show for 0z wed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current/usa

Well the T-STORMS really are bringing that warm air in quick... so any chance we prob have is if the precip moves in quicker then expected... At least its cloudy now.. TEMPS shouldnt be going up much more from here..45.4  F here in Glen Allen

Really our best shot at a nice front end thump is to get the precip in here quick which may happen going off current radar. Looks like precip field is more expansive than what models were showing. Fingers crossed. Hoping for the best but expecting to be meh. 

10 minutes ago, Hyphnx said:

Each run of the HRRR is less and less

Noticed that too. Each run it has most of the good precip to the west of us. We really don't get much of any wintry precip. 

Yeah I'm not sure if the HRRR is picking up on the eastern side of this storm very well.  Below is 00Z Wed. followed by current radar.  You can see the massive expansion east already (9 hours early) plus some heavier precip in Georgia/SC

Current Radar:

image.png.9120ed55aeecf44e99d7e32f3082891d.png

image.png.08e9cfb3ef2d56359fd2f9248da74fbb.png

HRRR at 16Z to give some comparison

image.png.62f9754efda43e8a235a7eca1bd3fd97.png

3 minutes ago, Sernest14 said:

Yeah I'm not sure if the HRRR is picking up on the eastern side of this storm very well.  Below is 00Z Wed. followed by current radar.  You can see the massive expansion east already (9 hours early) plus some heavier precip in Georgia/SC

Current Radar:

image.png.9120ed55aeecf44e99d7e32f3082891d.png

image.png.08e9cfb3ef2d56359fd2f9248da74fbb.png

HRRR at 16Z to give some comparison

image.png.62f9754efda43e8a235a7eca1bd3fd97.png

Maybe that's a good thing. 18Z 3K gives RIC about 2.5" snow kuchera. 

2 minutes ago, Sernest14 said:

even 3k 18Z looks much slower and less expansive

19Z Tues

image.png.78e6439707cabe768e70db3afdae486b.png

01Z Wed

image.png.e68b36fce908adcc537124ccaead8b36.png

But when that snow line hits us in the NAM 18z.. it's a ton. Like.... high ass rates.

Just now, Hyphnx said:

But when that snow line hits us in the NAM 18z.. it's a ton. Like.... high ass rates.

Yeah it's a crush job from about 6-9/10 buuut if that same hits a few hours earlier then we could be looking at a longer duration as well which could up the totals a little bit before the change.

Just now, ATreglown said:

And once it gets here, looks to be only 2 counties wide pushing thru. Then we get slotted..... rain. Not looking good. 

And I am not going by models, this is looking at real time radar.

3:00amLight snow /sleet mix here now in Glen Allen 

3:51am mostly & steady light snow now deck about covered 

7:13am very light rain with a little light sleet at times now... prob will be all rain soon..

Never really got into any of the heavy precipitation here..

Prob some heavy rain later maybe a quick  t storm

Prob 1/2 inch mainy on the cars ..roads a light dusting in spots.

Never got into any heavy precip. Thin layer of ice and maybe half inch of snow and sleet on cars. Roads near downtown just wet. Another pretty disappointing system. 

Disappointed because this may have been our last shot at something decent. Getting closer to March and yeah it can snow here in March but it's not the same as seeing it in January, February. 

• Sad 1

Agree, once we hit the second week of March, I am ready for warmer temps.  I have a feeling it will continue to be cold and wet until May and then straight into humidity hell.  Hope I am wrong, give us an Ash Wednesday redux in March and then bring on spring a week later and some thunderstorms damn it and I will be a happy camper and think back on the winter fondly with bookend blockbusters.

• Sad 1

Officially only 1.6" of snow at RIC since 1/1/19. This is the lowest January-February total since the 2008-09 winter when only 0.3" fell in January and February. However, on 3/1/2009, the Richmond area began a widespread 6-10" snowstorm.