• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

Pretty big bust for the NWS in the Richmond area, right?  Just yesterday we were only under a WSW with a 3-6" estimate.  Today they've upped it to 4-8" and now finally 6-10", but several places are already at 9-10" with at least a few more hours to go.  I'd imagine the majority of the Richmond area sees double digits.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NovaTarHeel said:

Pretty big bust for the NWS in the Richmond area, right?  Just yesterday we were only under a WSW with a 3-6" estimate.  Today they've upped it to 4-8" and now finally 6-10", but several places are already at 9-10" with at least a few more hours to go.  I'd imagine the majority of the Richmond area sees double digits.

Williamsburg got 5" without even a warning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

The only model that had double-digit amounts for Richmond was the NAM. It had 10-12 inches (Kuchera) for several runs.

5 minutes ago, dswx said:

The only model that had double-digit amounts for Richmond was the NAM. It had 10-12 inches (Kuchera) for several runs.

Looks like even that will be beat.  Admittedly, I was keyed into my backyard in Midlo, but I remember seeing runs in the 15-18" runs (including sleet).  

Regardless, I'll take all the snow I can get.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dswx said:

Stop the cheap NWS bashing, Seriously. They are professionals. They are not "disconnected" in the least.

I agree it should stop and that comment was probably over the top. But, there certainly were things that could've gone better. That is all I will say and then move on. 

Certainly didn’t mean it to be cheap. It is just mind boggling how Blacksburg and Sterling are always hours ahead of AKQ with their zones and they never match up. Sterling upgraded Charlottesville to 4-8 hours before AKQ reluctantly increased Richmond from 3-6. This on top of a WS watch being reluctantly issued and then a WS warning 3 hours before the event?  C’mon?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wxtogo said:

Certainly didn’t mean it to be cheap. It is just mind boggling how Blacksburg and Sterling are always hours ahead of AKQ with their zones and they never match up. Sterling upgraded Charlottesville to 4-8 hours before AKQ reluctantly increased Richmond from 3-6. This on top of a WS watch being reluctantly issued and then a WS warning 3 hours before the event?  C’mon?

You are comparing apples and oranges. Why? Because neither LWX or Blacksburg have to deal with warm air advection aloft and potential sleet issues. And not just today. Almost always.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dswx said:

You are comparing apples and oranges. Why? Because neither LWX or Blacksburg have to deal with warm air advection aloft and potential sleet issues. And not just today. Almost always.

That is very fair. 

Today's storm was a milestone event for Richmond. Through 6 pm, Richmond had received 0.90" precipitation. That brought 2018's total precipitation to 61.33", which surpassed the 61.31" that fell in 1975 to become Richmond's 3rd wettest year on record.

In addition, Richmond had received 9.0" snow through 5 pm. That smashed the daily record of 1.8", which was set in 1988.

That snowfall also ranks as both the 2nd highest daily snowfall up to December 15 and the 2nd biggest snowstorm up to December 15. With additional snow having fallen since then, Richmond could be in line to have both its highest daily snowfall and biggest total snowfall up to December 15.

The records up to December 15 are:

Daily record: 9.4", December 12, 1917

Biggest snowstorm: 9.9", December 12-13, 1917

Finally, this snowstorm has the potential to become the 2nd largest daily snowfall and 2nd biggest snowfall for December. Those records are 15.0" from December 22, 1908 and 17.2" from December 22-23, 1908.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, wxtogo said:

Pretty sad how AKQ is so disconnected from the other offices?

Most of the guidance had far lower amounts for Richmond. Occasionally, a storm will bring its heavy snowfall 25-50 miles farther north than modeled. That can make the difference between a few inches or a significant snowfall.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Today's storm was a milestone event for Richmond. Through 6 pm, Richmond had received 0.90" precipitation. That brought 2018's total precipitation to 61.33", which surpassed the 61.31" that fell in 1975 to become Richmond's 3rd wettest year on record.

In addition, Richmond had received 9.0" snow through 5 pm. That smashed the daily record of 1.8", which was set in 1988.

That snowfall also ranks as both the 2nd highest daily snowfall up to December 15 and the 2nd biggest snowstorm up to December 15. With additional snow having fallen since then, Richmond could be in line to have both its highest daily snowfall and biggest total snowfall up to December 15.

The records up to December 15 are:

Daily record: 9.4", December 12, 1917

Biggest snowstorm: 9.9", December 12-13, 1917

Finally, this snowstorm has the potential to become the 2nd largest daily snowfall and 2nd biggest snowfall for December. Those records are 15.0" from December 22, 1908 and 17.2" from December 22-23, 1908.

Don, thanks for chiming in. You're welcome any time. This is also the 2nd earliest 6"+ storm on record for RIC.

• Like 2