Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

4 hours ago, eaglesin2011 said:

How many times have we had snow in  Richmond (say over 6 inches) and less then an inch in DC?

I would assume it has not happened much.. anybody know?

Doesn't happen too often, but it does from time to time. Most recently was January 7, 2017 when RIC received 7.1" and DCA only 0.4". Also, January 2-3, 2002 where RIC received 7.7" and DCA didn't record ANY snow from that storm. If RIC gets a large total, just due to DC's proximity, it's hard for them to stay under an inch. The better question would be, how often does RIC surpass DCA's totals from the same storms? And that has happened lots of times.

Looks like it's all done here in Norfolk near ODU campus. We had a moderate burst of snow around 12:30 that lasted for about 15-20 minutes before precip tapered off. We got a slushy coating on grassy surfaces, but it's long gone now as temp never fell below 33.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIC Airport said:

Doesn't happen too often, but it does from time to time. Most recently was January 7, 2017 when RIC received 7.1" and DCA only 0.4". Also, January 2-3, 2002 where RIC received 7.7" and DCA didn't record ANY snow from that storm. If RIC gets a large total, just due to DC's proximity, it's hard for them to stay under an inch. The better question would be, how often does RIC surpass DCA's totals from the same storms? And that has happened lots of times.

NO..... I wanted to know that  just because it really confirms that its  hard for us to get a decent snow without DCA getting into the game with at least over an inch..

Thanks for the info....

I don't want to lose anything but it's nice when we and DC are in the game as they have great mets and hobbyists posting in the main thread (BobChill, psu, etc) but when they are on the outside looking in, the misery overtakes, and I completely understand it as it is usually us.  Hope for a small enough shift to get them in the game but still have us jackpot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JB Fins said:

I don't want to lose anything but it's nice when we and DC are in the game as they have great mets and hobbyists posting in the main thread (BobChill, psu, etc) but when they are on the outside looking in, the misery overtakes, and I completely understand it as it is usually us.  Hope for a small enough shift to get them in the game but still have us jackpot.

Nah man, there's gonna be at least a dozen storms this year where they are complaining about "only" getting 6" of snow while we are looking at a nice cold rain.

Let them suffer!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hanging on by a thread right now on most of the  models for the RIC area... could really still bust both ways.  Def don't want more south adjustments on most... (prob really wont have a real good  consensus for storm totals until Friday Afternoon..

until then stay close to the coffee, booze  & tanning oil :whistle:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Your shocked with what RIC reports???..

thats a real  "common man" 

Like they have on ESPN

'

Oh yeah, I know. It's just that AKQ may not get the numbers from the observers until after CLI is sent. I would hope that after all these years of bickering about the numbers, AKQ has addressed the issue. Hopefully, KRIC at least had the snowboard out today, lol.

• Like 1

Old man in what looked like a grayish white bathrobe was walking down my street earlier. Had this huge cane. Thing was a tall as he was. He had this killer hipster beard along with sandals. I’ve never seen him before, but all the animals in the neighborhood were following him. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Old man in what looked like a grayish white bathrobe was walking down my street earlier. Had this huge cane. Thing was a tall as he was. He had this killer hipster beard along with sandals. I’ve never seen him before, but all the animals in the neighborhood were following him. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

umm is it happy hour already? :poster_stupid:

12 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

I cant  imagine much if anything for  se va, including richmond. It seems we will be  on the northern extent  of the  precip and i doubt  it will precip hard enough to be snow.

From watching everything play out the last few days, and how the models showed an expanding storm today, I think RVA does pretty well with this storm. I’m calling for 3-6”, with possible pockets to 8”. Highest amounts SW areas.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=atlpac-wide&product=wv-mid

very good view of the action getting going here... Hopefully that dry air dropping down is out before we get the main storm coming in....

I still think we can get lucky and pull off a 3-6 storm for most of the RIC area... PROB most  in a quick burst overnight Sunday... Bust potential still there of course for a sleet /mix fest ..

Man I hope we can get something here too eagles2011. Last night's models were not comforting, but goodness knows we've watched areas to our north win in these kinds of setups time and time again! Would be nice to be the "northern" overachievers for once!

• Like 1