• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

10" in Manteo and KDH according to the local met. Crazy, looks like HRRRRRR and RAP got it spot on.

To recap the storm here...in general 2-4" for Hampton Roads with isolated 4"+ spots. Definitely better than most were expecting. 

The forecast only really busted for VA eastern shore where they got 4" (forecast was 1" at most) and extreme NE NC where they got 6" in ECG and Currituck Co as well as 10" on the OBX (forecast up to 3" and WSW was issued as the event was unfolding at 1am)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JB Fins said:

He meant for the date, 1/17...would be news if they broke their actual daily snowfall record for all days.

What are we at for total in RIC - RIC Airport?  For the winter, 7.5"?

Yeah, ORF broke the record for the date. Old record was 1.8" set in 1911, new record for 1/17 is 2.5".

RIC is now at 8.1" for the season and ORF sitting at 12.8".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bump the thread. Coating looks possible tonight and tomorrow, Feb 3rd front/wave isn't completely dead yet either, there is also a signal for a coastal somewhere around Feb 5/6.

RIC needs just 2" more to finish the winter with AN snow, ORF already more than doubled climo. Looks like we're heading into a cold and stormy pattern...at least for the first part of Feb. Nice!

I'm wondering why is there absolutely no interest for tonight/tomorrow morning's event. I see that 00z NAM is even less impressed than 18z and has virtually nothing for RIC metro and Hampton Roads. Any flakes are a win in my book so it's worth tracking lol

Even so, HRRRRR and RAP are keying on a stripe of 1" and even localized 2" from RIC metro into Hampton Roads. One thing I learned is to never discount those two models inside 12 hours since they do really well at sniffing out precip maxes. Worth saying that surface temps are in mid 30s and ground is warmish and wet so verbatim accums should be taken with a lump of salt. 

Also, both NAM and HRRRRRR show steep mid level lapse rates during the vort pass which leads me to believe that a band with locally heavy rates could set up as far south as NC/VA border. Pwats look to be around 0.4-0.5" in our area which seems decent...I think. I can't find upper level moisture maps on pivotalweather atmosphere should be nicely saturated up there. I'm still trying to learn more about all this and I would love if a met or someone more knowledgeable than me chimed in.

Nice.

I would think RIC will record a trace...when I went to the gym 5:00AM it was drizzling, I came out at 6:00 to moderate to heavy snow, by 7:00 it was sticking to less traveled side roads.  Caught the schools in a bind as buses were delayed due to slush on the side roads...certainly glad they didn't try and close schools.  Close to 1/4 to 1/2 inch on my lawn but borderline temps, my weather station said 34 degrees, by the time I was driving to work it was about 75% melted.

21 hours ago, JB Fins said:

Nice.

I would think RIC will record a trace...when I went to the gym 5:00AM it was drizzling, I came out at 6:00 to moderate to heavy snow, by 7:00 it was sticking to less traveled side roads.  Caught the schools in a bind as buses were delayed due to slush on the side roads...certainly glad they didn't try and close schools.  Close to 1/4 to 1/2 inch on my lawn but borderline temps, my weather station said 34 degrees, by the time I was driving to work it was about 75% melted.

Fortunately roads were not frozen.  I drove to work (Hanover County to Nine Mile Rd) through moderate to heavy snow.  We decided early to plow ahead and open Henrico schools on time.  Some west end buses slowed down a bit during the height of the precip, but there were very few delays all told.  

MJO in Phase 6 is currently at it's highest level in this phase since records were kept starting in 1979. Long Range does not look good for cold weather folks. I think if we don't see a drastic change on the models in the next five days, you can go ahead and stick a fork in this winter season for areas east of the Appalachians.

1 hour ago, tramadoc said:

MJO in Phase 6 is currently at it's highest level in this phase since records were kept starting in 1979. Long Range does not look good for cold weather folks. I think if we don't see a drastic change on the models in the next five days, you can go ahead and stick a fork in this winter season for areas east of the Appalachians.

I wouldn't be that negative...yet. We know that GEFS and EPS haven't been too reliable in the long range this winter, especially with the phantom SE ridge. I think the problem with this pattern is that Atlantic is not cooperating at all. And it's NS dominated. But that has been the problem throughout the winter. -EPO/+PNA can only do so much. I wouldn't stick a fork in the winter, but things look worse than they did about three days ago.

In the end, ORF is sitting at 13.1" for the winter, I'd be greedy if I wanted more. 

I wouldn't be that negative...yet. We know that GEFS and EPS haven't been too reliable in the long range this winter, especially with the phantom SE ridge. I think the problem with this pattern is that Atlantic is not cooperating at all. And it's NS dominated. But that has been the problem throughout the winter. -EPO/+PNA can only do so much. I wouldn't stick a fork in the winter, but things look worse than they did about three days ago.
In the end, ORF is sitting at 13.1" for the winter, I'd be greedy if I wanted more. 
I agree with our snowfall amounts. It would be greedy, but it seems that all we do is punt and wait for the pattern change.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Inudaw said:

:-p 12z runs were not kind to Richmond.     Great for northern Va and western portions of Va though. 

Yep, prob not good sign this early...Good thing is there is still time for a nudge or two south... Need that cold wedge to get in here somehow..

Its not like we are not use to being on the line... 

We'll we def had that jog south with most models .. Maybe a bit  too much too fast... I still think we are In a decent spot at the moment, but of course temps still gonna be an issue  for where the snow/rain line sets up.. 

If anyone can post the clown/precp maps in this forum on the next few runs our area that would be great..

Here is the a few of the overnight runs  (credit to the mid atl thread)

d30a3cT.gif

And the Euro:

kCSy5Pr.png

2 hours ago, wasnow215 said:

12z NAM just now. Way early for NAM probably but gives an idea. This is Kuchera scale not 10:1 so more realistic. Would be a nice hit in RVA

F3D70EA5-428D-425D-95D4-8B4F85A4563E.jpeg

Yeah... I prob cut this in 1/2 for the Richmond area.. Even getting to 1 to 3 is a win for this area this time of year... ha

• Like 1