• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

18 GFS is a perfect hit for RVA. Snow depth map is insane. Between 2am to 8am avg close to 2” per hour or close to it. Again I’m NOT saying it’ll happen. But GFS has consistently shown snow for days. And Euro, CMC and other models are on board for at least some snow. Yes warm ground etc, but those rates with plummeting temps and the first complete rush hour morning drive in a while will be rough. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RIC Airport said:

Rates and time of day, if realized has depicted, should help mitigate that risk somewhat. I expect watches will be hoisted by tomorrow morning. We are basically 24 hours ago then.

It will probably help that most of this will happen overnight/morning. GFS is showing some crazy rates which would help with accumulation if that happens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Exactly.. an amped up storm with these marginal temps normally means In this area...It will pull in more warm air and keep the precip mostly rain & sleet .

Would be nice to see a big event but a 1-3 event still seems most likely to me.:facepalm: Hopefully we get at least that. Anything more is a bonus imo   Especially after a 70 degree day &  60s today .

Hello there

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Wakefield VA
352 AM EST Sun Jan 2 2022

VAZ048-060>062-064-067>069-509>511-513-515-021700-
/O.NEW.KAKQ.WS.A.0001.220103T0800Z-220103T1800Z/
Fluvanna-Prince Edward-Cumberland-Goochland-Caroline-Nottoway-
Amelia-Powhatan-Western Louisa-Eastern Louisa-Western Hanover-
Western Chesterfield-
Western Henrico (Including the City of Richmond)-
Including the cities of Bybee, Central Plains, Cunningham,
Lake Monticello, Nahor, Palmyra, Troy, Farmville, Angola,
Guinea Mills, Hawk, Raines Tavern, Reeds, Stoddert, Goochland,
Corbin, Burruss Corner, Cedar Fork, Dawn, Crewe, Earls, Mannboro,
Scotts Fork, Amelia Courthouse, Chula, Denaro, Jetersville,
Fine Creek Mills, Flat Rock, Goodwins Store, Subletts, Worshams,
Clayville, Genito, Louisa, Mineral, Ashland, Bon Air, Midlothian,
and Richmond
352 AM EST Sun Jan 2 2022

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 2
  to 5 inches possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central, north central and south central
  Virginia.

* WHEN...From late tonight through Monday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning commute.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Exactly.. an amped up storm with these marginal temps normally means...it will pull in more warm air and keep the precip mostly rain & sleet .

Would be nice to see a big event but a 1-3 event still seems most likely to me.:facepalm: Hopefully we get at least that. Anything more is a bonus imo 

Agree. Hoping the models are a little over amplified. We want an amped storm but not too much 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Still in the  60s at 430pm . Now that the sun is about to set hopefully we see a good steady drop.. unfortunately it dosnt look like it will really drop until the 2nd batch of precip comes through early in the morning

This is why I’m not expecting much out of this storm. Snow will fall but will be battling a very warm ground. Maybe if it snows hard enough that will help overcome that. We’ll see 

1 hour ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Still in the  60s at 430pm . Now that the sun is about to set hopefully we see a good steady drop.. unfortunately it dosnt look like it will really drop until the 2nd batch of precip comes through early in the morning

At the end of day we got some potential here and that’s a lot better than we had few weeks ago when it was warm/dry.  Its been little wetter around here past week or so too…makes ya wonder if we timed the precip better this year.

Beggers can’t be choosers these days tho, so I’m just going to try to enjoy whatever happens. 

19 minutes ago, mikeeng92 said:

From Wakefield AFD:

In addition, hints of CSI is psbl as frontalgenetic forcing
maxes out. Upshot is the psblty of some thunder snow as the systm
wraps up. 

Even if the 4-6” forecasts busts we should all see a pretty epic band of heavy snow for at least a little bit. 

This would be pretty cool 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

Agree. Best threat we’ve had in a long time. Hope im wrong and we get measurable snow 

I think you're going to do very well. Would rather be up between Ashland and Fredericksburg, but Richmond looks good. 80 degrees in Hampton Roads yesterday.  70 today. My DP was 67 just a few hours ago. Anything to break that pattern is welcome. I'll be monitoring severe storms and wind. 

• Like 1