Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

3 minutes ago, SoCoWx said:

It’s beautiful out this morning! And the roads look mainly slushy, so I should be okay as long as I go slow.

What’s the ice storm situation looking like now? Anyone have any updates on that?

F69227BD-A440-48CC-9784-2A633FAED0B1.jpeg

Here’s what locals were showing this morning

RIC has now gone 752 consecutive days with high temperatures above 32°F. This is the longest stretch on record.

The last day to NOT rise above freezing was January 31, 2019 when the high temperature was 32°F.  It will be interesting to see whether today or tomorrow can stay below freezing at the airport to end this streak. 

Screenshot 2021-02-12 103041.jpg

By the way, the average number of days with subfreezing highs for the 1991-2020 period of record is 5 days. 2020 and 2012 were the only two years with NO subfreezing highs. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RichmondTarHeel said:

Getting a little worried about tonight.  Nam 3k shows long stretch of freezing rain.  Roads are going to be an absolute mess, and my neighborhood doesn't have a good history of power outages. 

Yep. I am expecting to lose power. This looks like a bad scenario with long duration light precip and plenty of cold air.

2 hours ago, Sernest14 said:

HRRR gives about 15 hours of moderate to heavy ice starting about 6am

9 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

Both GFS and NAM show significant ice storm tomorrow

Trees out in Goochland county are still loaded with snow. Won't take much ice to start breaking limbs. Any idea what kind of wind is forecast for tomorrow?

I know it’s not likely but holding out hope for this to trend to more of a sleet storm. That’s just hope, I know it has all the hallmarks of freezing rain. Just could do without that 

Also in West End of City ended with 3 inches or so from this one. Not bad. The line between accumulating snow and more of a non-accumulating sleet-freezing rain-snow mix didn’t appear to be very far from here. A true fall line special!

Yeah, I am a fan of extreme weather but ice storms just aren't high on my list of things I like to experience.  I might be lucky as on the same grid as a firehouse and transformers are buried.  However, substations can get iced up and cut your power further up the line.

Just now, Anyweather said:

Trees out in Goochland county are still loaded with snow. Won't take much ice to start breaking limbs. Any idea what kind of wind is forecast for tomorrow?

Just checked winds and they seem to be minimal - less than 5 mph - maybe gusts up to 10-15 I would guess so that is good

1 minute ago, Sernest14 said:

Just checked winds and they seem to be minimal - less than 5 mph - maybe gusts up to 10-15 I would guess so that is good

Even 10-15 mph gust can cause problems since trees are already weighed down with snow. Add .25-.50 of ice to that and even a little wind can cause a lot of problems 

• Like 1

Just now, RVASnowLover said:

Even 10-15 mph gust can cause problems since trees are already weighed down with snow. Add .25-.50 of ice to that and even a little wind can cause a lot of problems 

Yeah definitely - trees are already heavily leaning here - looks like gusts are 8-10 from checking a few different places.  asking in the main group for what models show though

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sernest14 said:

Anyone know what DT is talking about saying that short range models are just showing light precip?  From what I’m seeing, RGEM/NAM/HRRR all show moderate+ levels  for an extended period of time

I read that too and it confused me. Not sure what data he’s looking at. Almost all the short range models are showing at least .25 of ice 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1