Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

9 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

I’m just hoping for a couple of inches of snow tonight. Once again going to be temperature watching. Is it going to be cold enough for snow to stick? Well see what happens for Friday night. Tough time believing the models these days 

Very true about the models. The ice storm looks like Sat afternoon into early Sun morning. And Wakefield has us in .25-.50 total ice accumulation. 

NAM just came in real nice after a step back at 6z. And it’s pretty long in duration as depicted.

Just now, wasnow215 said:

Very true about the models. The ice storm looks like Sat afternoon into early Sun morning. And Wakefield has us in .25-.50 total ice accumulation. 

NAM just came in real nice after a step back at 6z. And it’s pretty long in duration as depicted.

Sorry I meant NAM for tonight 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

Wonder when they will issue an ice storm warning or advisory for that 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, winterwxfan said:

Anyone buying what HRRR, RAP, and HRW short range models are putting out for tonight's storm?  Granted I'm looking at the clown maps, but 3+ seems like the low benchmark for at least short pump area.

With mixing at times and temps an issue at the beginning I think looking at the models that have “total positive snow depth“ is smarter to look at rather than 10:1. So I think to two MAYBE 4 inches (northwest of 95) is possible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

With mixing at times and temps an issue at the beginning I think looking at the models that have “total positive snow depth“ is smarter to look at rather than 10:1. So I think to two MAYBE 4 inches (northwest of 95) is possible.

Here is an interesting note however regarding the different models.

The NAM, the RGEM And a few other short term models handled the snow that fell in SNJ n E PA well last night into today with 10:1 ratios. Showed 3-6” and they got 3-6”. However they had pure snow and not mixing or sleet etc. So maybe 4 inches is possible here with what the short term models are showing this morning.

13 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

Here is an interesting note however regarding the different models.

The NAM, the RGEM And a few other short term models handled the snow that fell in SNJ n E PA well last night into today with 10:1 ratios. Showed 3-6” and they got 3-6”. However they had pure snow and not mixing or sleet etc. So maybe 4 inches is possible here with what the short term models are showing this morning.

Yeah, if we could get 4 out of this, that would be great.

• Like 3

What is the situation looking like currently with regards to ice? I’ve not experienced an ice storm in my adult life, and I take Cary St. Road/River Road/Huguenot to and from work in Bon Air. I’m very worried about having to miss a few days from work because I’m scared to drive in icy conditions. I wrecked my old car two years ago in that monster December snowstorm and can’t afford another one. :mellow:

If it changes to rain from freezing rain like some forecasts are saying, or if precipitation is light, I wonder if it would be not as bad, or melt quickly...

1 minute ago, SoCoWx said:

What is the situation looking like currently with regards to ice? I’ve not experienced an ice storm in my adult life, and I take Cary St. Road/River Road/Huguenot to and from work in Bon Air. I’m very worried about having to miss a few days from work because I’m scared to drive in icy conditions. I wrecked my old car two years ago in that monster December snowstorm and can’t afford another one. :mellow:

If it changes to rain from freezing rain like some forecasts are saying, or if precipitation is light, I wonder if it would be not as bad, or melt quickly...

Ice doesn’t look to be an issue here in the city until Saturday. Tonight should be a mainly snow event, maybe a little ice 

• Like 1

Cary Street and River Road when it is just 2 lanes can be a daunting commute with even a minimal weather event.  Might suggest cutting over to Grove or even using Patterson and going over the Willey Bridge as you have a bit more margin for error, longer route for sure but if we get 4" of snow, might be worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

Ice doesn’t look to be an issue here in the city until Saturday. Tonight should be a mainly snow event, maybe a little ice 

That’s good. I am worried about having to call out a couple days this weekend because of the ice on Saturday-Sunday. I work at the Trader Joe’s in Bon Air and since it hasn’t been that long, don’t have enough PTO yet to cover more than a day. 

I’m hoping beyond hope that it’ll somehow trend less icy at the last minute. :unsure:

• Like 1