• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

That's a pretty tight, steep gradient in snowfall totals spanning from West End, Richmond, to East end, Richmond where I'm at, to the South side in Chester.  This wasn't a one-size fits all forecast, for the Greater Richmond Metropolitan Area, but I'm glad to see that much of the populous in Richmond did get to see some snow, and at least a dusting, and more than a dusting ( ~ 1/2"), where I'm at, in East Richmond, and one poster had mentioned about 3" in Chester on the South side.

It lasted about 3 hours in East Richmond, between 5 PM and 8 PM. 

It appears North & Northwest Richmond got the short end of the stick on this go-around, with the paucity of reports up thataways, and by viewing STP PCPN estimates on radar.

-- cyclogenesis

Finally have moderate snow Currituck NC, 33. Nothing accumulating. Went from 36 to 33 in about 20 minutes with the wind shift.  I've seen a report of four in from Franklin and 2 inches in Suffolk but nothing around 3 inches.... in Norfolk?  Good for you. Coastal influence is now starting to take place so hopefully we get a few more bands through the night

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wasnow215 said:

Would love to here from some professionals specifically talk about RVA. Just following SPC stuff right now and all the really good folks on the DC severe thread. 

I’m here. I don’t quite remember the last time they’ve used wording like this... They only guess I would have is when the remnants of that tropical storm came through last fall...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Did I miss anything between the time I woke up at 6:45, (No strong rain yet from what I can remember) to 7:30ish? It’s been pretty much a rain shower here so far from what I can tell. No thunder.

So far nothing. Rain. There was a STW to the west (Oilville, Powhatan) but it had expired.

Interestingly, RIC set a new record low this morning bottoming out at 33 degrees. The old record was 34 set in 1953, which is the warmest record low temperature for any date in April.

Although we've had several cold nights this month, the airport has not hit freezing. As a result, looks like 2020 will be the year with the earliest last spring freeze on record. The last time it reached 32 or below was back on March 8th.

• Confused 1

Sunday morning's record low at RIC is 35 degrees set in 1966. AKQ's current forecast has RIC reaching 36 degrees. It will be interesting to see how low the temperature drops. The most recent Mays with temperatures in the 30s occurred in 2016, 2006 and 2002.

The last May with two or more days with lows in the 30s occurred in 1986 and RIC actually hit 32 degrees on one of those days.

RIC reached 34°F this morning, which makes it the coldest May temperature since it reached 32°F on May 4, 1986. Below are the coldest May readings in the period of record dating back to 1897. It's interesting to note that most of May's coldest temperatures occurred on the 9th. 

34°F May 09, 2020

32°F May 04, 1986

34°F May 09, 1976

32°F May 11, 1966

34°F May 03, 1963

31°F May 09, 1956

32°F May 09, 1947

34°F May 02, 1943

It will be interesting to see how low it gets tonight. The record low is 35°F set in 1966 so there is a very real shot of setting a new record. It will also be interesting to see whether RIC makes it to 32°F. It would be the 2nd latest spring freeze on record. Funny enough, it would prevent RIC from establishing another record since the last time the airport hit freezing was back on March 8th. In 2012, the last spring freeze occurred on March 11th, which is the earliest on record. So, if it does not reach freezing tomorrow morning, 2020 will then feature the earliest beginning to the official growing season. The average date for the last spring freeze in the previous 30 years (1989-2019) was April 1st. 

• Like 1