• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

2 NWS office locations currently have snow:  AT 344 PM, Wakefield, VA Moderate Snow, at 1/2 mile visibility.  And Blacksburg, VA, at 335 PM reporting light snow, at 1 mile visibility.  I believe we'll continue to see more 20 dbz returns on radar from here on out, as the lower layers moisten and the above-freezing lower layers, (above ground level), begin to approach freezing.  What was earlier virga will begin to start showing up as light snow, & moderate snow at more of the TAF sites & Asos sites, in Southern Virginia, over the period of the next 3 hours from now through 7 PM & beyond.

Radar returns at 412 PM are showing higher reflectivity rates, (higher dbz), out West from Buckingham County, South to Charlotte county, heading on the inbound.  This is encouraging. 

-- cyclogenesis   

When looking for snow flurries, at the start:  During daytime, look against a dark-colored object or structure, to identify.  Wearing a black-colored jacket might help, extending your arms, but if your jacket is room temperature; the flurries will melt upon contact.  Will take bigger flakes to hit jacket to see. 

At nighttime, place your hand between your eyes and a focused street lamp light above, blocking out the direct focused light of the street lamp, and instead, look directly around the *periphery* of the side-lobe glow of the street light, just directly beneath it, and you'll see the flurries following with the light air currents. 

A look at the Chesterfield ASOS report, from 4 PM, it appears there may have been a short period of sleet, back around 345 PM, as it reported UP beginning at 345 PM and ending at 351PM.  Asos will report light snow & light rain, but cannot discern when there is sleet.  It didn't last long.  It's probably due to the transitioning process of super-cooled sub-freezing droplets, as the drier layers moisten, cooling the boundary layer above the surface, and the freezing level lowers significantly during the next 3 hours ahead, while dewpoints in the boundary layer rise. 

-- cyclogenesis

Here's radar at 552 PM this Thursday evening, February 20, 2020.

It's happening!  Right on the EDGE, it's happening.  Your KRIC airport showing light snow, -SN, with a reduced visibility of 2 1/2 miles.  It has to get to be 1/2 mile in order to be coined the term moderate snow, and 1/4 mile to be coined the term heavy snow.  The rate of snow is based on visibility, in aviation weather standards.

I've seen a goodly bit of LIGHT SNOW tonight between the hours of 5 PM and 6 PM tonight in East Henrico County.

Have a see of the radar image I'm posting below --- RIGHT on the edge, gang!  

552 PM radar.JPG

At 540 PM, just 22 minutes ago, your NWS Wakefield office measured 0.8" of snowfall, which is 47 miles Southeast of downtown Richmond.  Wakefield will be adding to this total throughout the night, down Southeast of Richmond.    

Here in East Henrico County, near the Richmond airport, I'm already seeing a thin covering of snow, covering the roof of my vehicle  --  604 PM, Thurs, Feb. 20.

--  cyclogenesis

wakefield.JPG