• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

I guess it was 3-4 years ago now, but do you guys remember a similar storm that dumped a ton of sleet on Richmond and surprised areas like Staunton with 20" of snow?  I can remember the forecast being for hardly any frozen precip for RVA and only 3-4" of snow before flipping out West, but the CAD was much stronger than forecasted.  We can hope for something similar this time around.

15 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current/usa

Well the T-STORMS really are bringing that warm air in quick... so any chance we prob have is if the precip moves in quicker then expected... At least its cloudy now.. TEMPS shouldnt be going up much more from here..45.4  F here in Glen Allen

Really our best shot at a nice front end thump is to get the precip in here quick which may happen going off current radar. Looks like precip field is more expansive than what models were showing. Fingers crossed. Hoping for the best but expecting to be meh. 

Yeah I'm not sure if the HRRR is picking up on the eastern side of this storm very well.  Below is 00Z Wed. followed by current radar.  You can see the massive expansion east already (9 hours early) plus some heavier precip in Georgia/SC

Current Radar:

image.png.9120ed55aeecf44e99d7e32f3082891d.png

image.png.08e9cfb3ef2d56359fd2f9248da74fbb.png

HRRR at 16Z to give some comparison

image.png.62f9754efda43e8a235a7eca1bd3fd97.png

3 minutes ago, Sernest14 said:

Yeah I'm not sure if the HRRR is picking up on the eastern side of this storm very well.  Below is 00Z Wed. followed by current radar.  You can see the massive expansion east already (9 hours early) plus some heavier precip in Georgia/SC

Current Radar:

image.png.9120ed55aeecf44e99d7e32f3082891d.png

image.png.08e9cfb3ef2d56359fd2f9248da74fbb.png

HRRR at 16Z to give some comparison

image.png.62f9754efda43e8a235a7eca1bd3fd97.png

Maybe that's a good thing. 18Z 3K gives RIC about 2.5" snow kuchera. 

Just now, Hyphnx said:

But when that snow line hits us in the NAM 18z.. it's a ton. Like.... high ass rates.

Yeah it's a crush job from about 6-9/10 buuut if that same hits a few hours earlier then we could be looking at a longer duration as well which could up the totals a little bit before the change.

3:00amLight snow /sleet mix here now in Glen Allen 

3:51am mostly & steady light snow now deck about covered 

7:13am very light rain with a little light sleet at times now... prob will be all rain soon..

Never really got into any of the heavy precipitation here..

Prob some heavy rain later maybe a quick  t storm

Prob 1/2 inch mainy on the cars ..roads a light dusting in spots.

Agree, once we hit the second week of March, I am ready for warmer temps.  I have a feeling it will continue to be cold and wet until May and then straight into humidity hell.  Hope I am wrong, give us an Ash Wednesday redux in March and then bring on spring a week later and some thunderstorms damn it and I will be a happy camper and think back on the winter fondly with bookend blockbusters.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Can't say I call it just yet the Next Weds- Monday time frame will be our best hope in awhile.. Nothing certain but Def still a chance.. ha

I'm calling it. We are done. Persistence this winter has been north and west. 12/9 was a fluke. On to 2019-20. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RIC Airport said:

I'm calling it. We are done. Persistence this winter has been north and west. 12/9 was a fluke. On to 2019-20. 

I’m calling it too even up here.  This event is the shovel of dirt in my 6ft hole.  19-20 will be rockin’

• 1 month later...