Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

25 minutes ago, JB Fins said:

We had our feast in December and it has been famine ever since.  I would be happy with just one more warning criteria snow but time is running short and model inconsistency this winter has ebbed my hopes appropriately. 

Same here. Would like just one more warning criteria snow before time runs out but it's not looking good. Ironic that our biggest snow of the season would have actually came in the fall!

True.  I am sure we can look back and probably correlate early snow for RIC is a bad sign for winter snow but it's probably so skewed because we have so many famine winters anyway.  Fingers crossed but once it's March, I am sort of done and ready for spring.  Easter is late this year so I am not going to turn down any snow but it's just not the same.

Along the lines of spring, I am actually hoping we have a decent severe weather season as it has been a while since thunderstorms have been consistent in the spring to early summer. 

Expect WWA’s to be posted late tomorrow in RVA, with an outside chance of a WSW (watch) because of poss freezing rain on top of a couple of inches of snow Wed morning. Today’s model runs will help NWS decide.

No matter what, Wed morning commute is going to be rough, until the CAD is eventually scoured out of the region, later that afternoon.

No real surprise here...Only thing  I would change is by the evening commute Weds the main roads should be mainly wet from rain not ice. Of course the more north the more problems..

Winter Weather Advisory for Western Henrico (Including the City of Richmond), Virginia

From 12:00am EST, Wed Feb 20 until 6:00pm EST, Wed Feb 20

Action Recommended: Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions

Issued by: Wakefield - VA, US, National Weather Service,

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...SNOW FOLLOWED BY SLEET, THEN FREEZING RAIN. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF UP TO TWO INCHES AND ICE ACCUMULATION OF UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH EXPECTED. * WHERE...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA. * WHEN...FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM EST WEDNESDAY. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...PLAN ON SLIPPERY ROAD CONDITIONS. THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS COULD IMPACT THE MORNING AND EVENING COMMUTE WEDNESDAY. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW, SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. EXPECT SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES, AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. FOR THE LATEST ROAD CONDITIONS IN VIRGINIA OR MARYLAND, PLEASE CALL 5 1 1. &&

Eh, can't argue with them based on model output. 

Me thinks I got spoiled from the December blockbuster, now anything short of a warning criteria is just "meh" 

Timing will be tough for schools though, even though you get a switchover to rain, it likely doesn't clear everything up before your 2 hour delay option so I think Henrico and surrounding may have to make a call at 5AM tomorrow as not certain enough to make tonight although parents pressure about the 5AM wakeup from Jenks and blah, blah, blah, not enough time to plan may weigh in.

46 minutes ago, JB Fins said:

Eh, can't argue with them based on model output. 

Me thinks I got spoiled from the December blockbuster, now anything short of a warning criteria is just "meh" 

Timing will be tough for schools though, even though you get a switchover to rain, it likely doesn't clear everything up before your 2 hour delay option so I think Henrico and surrounding may have to make a call at 5AM tomorrow as not certain enough to make tonight although parents pressure about the 5AM wakeup from Jenks and blah, blah, blah, not enough time to plan may weigh in.

pretty much... I doubt schools will open.. unless the snow/ice is delayed or doesnt happen at all.....  rush hour in the morning prob will be the worst of the storm  5-8am  .. Main roads prob will be fine after that time frame but back roads and  neighborhoods prob wont be treated enough... So schools will mostly call it a day if anything icy is still on the roads..

58 minutes ago, RVASnowLover said:

Agree. And if we can get precip in here quicker. The way this winter has gone though it wouldn't surprise me if it's mainly sleet and then rain. 

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/radar/current/usa

Well the T-STORMS really are bringing that warm air in quick... so any chance we prob have is if the precip moves in quicker then expected... At least its cloudy now.. TEMPS shouldnt be going up much more from here..45.4  F here in Glen Allen