Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

2 minutes ago, Hyphnx said:

If we start as snow then there's a chance it keeps the atmosphere cold enough to stay as snow

Will depend on the final low track no matter if you start as snow or not.  I have a rooting interest down there as my sister lives just north of the city.  GL!!

There is a lot of warm air advection at mid levels.  There's no closed 850 mb low to keep temperatures colder; the precipitation is basically one prolonged warm air advection event until Sunday afternoon when 850 mb winds turn northerly. This seems like a case where models would be more likely to under-do this warm air than over-do. I'd be hedging lower on the snow totals, higher on the ice/sleet. 

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteoutWX said:

There is a lot of warm air advection at mid levels.  There's no closed 850 mb low to keep temperatures colder; the precipitation is basically one prolonged warm air advection event until Sunday afternoon when 850 mb winds turn northerly. This seems like a case where models would be more likely to under-do this warm air than over-do. I'd be hedging lower on the snow totals, higher on the ice/sleet. 

So I guess you’re not a big fan of the DT first call?

453ED229-5ABE-40B1-8600-61BCBB88C92D.jpeg

Just Rain doubtful in and around the RVA.. ice looking more and more likely for this area.. back end looks good for us but will it happen? Some models have dry air coming in between the event in this area so that could help limit the freezing rain/sleet and maybe change it to just rain if light enough.. Hard to know until the storm makes it over the mountains 

• Like 1

Yeah I been worried about the ice for awhile now... history says sleet fest where I am ...But looking at the gulf moister back in the TN/KY border area it is really warming that area .Look how far north its changing the precip from snow to frz/rain .. 

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USMO0453

14 minutes ago, Inudaw said:

Honestly won't be surprised if we go to plain rain at this in the East end. 

Agreed! That NAM ice prog is showing ice for areas like Goochland that were looking at 4-8! Hoping for a crusty inch and expecting less here in the city. At least this will shut up the DC weenies...didn’t realize how awful they are until I didn’t live there anymore lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Freshies said:

Agreed! That NAM ice prog is showing ice for areas like Goochland that were looking at 4-8! Hoping for a crusty inch and expecting less here in the city. At least this will shut up the DC weenies...didn’t realize how awful they are until I didn’t live there anymore lol

Don’t worry about them. They are to us SOME OF THEM, like some new Englanders are to them. Lol. We had 13-15” before calendar winter began on 12/9 lol. DC not so much. :D

16 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Def a better solution then frz/rain . Def still think a ice storm is a good bet around parts of this  area tho.. hopefully to many people won't be caught of guard but still haven't seen the networks  talking about it much yet

Possible to see some snow then freezing rain then back to snow especially nw areas of 95. Ugh for frz rain. But yes east end may be ok.

10 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

Don’t worry about them. They are to us SOME OF THEM, like some new Englanders are to them. Lol. We had 13-15” before calendar winter began on 12/9 lol. DC not so much. :D

Trust me...I know! I have been lurking on these boards since Eastern (under a different screen name). I recently created a new profile because my name was DC centric and I didn’t want to be judged here in RVA lol. We need to post more in this thread...using the main thread for RVA specific progs is no bueno.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Freshies said:

Trust me...I know! I have been lurking on these boards since Eastern (under a different screen name). I recently created a new profile because my name was DC centric and I didn’t want to be judged here in RVA lol. We need to post more in this thread...using the main thread for RVA specific progs is no bueno.

Yep. Folks here have been helpful

Crossing fingers we stay frozen longer. Ice storm is looking very real at this time. Have a hard time believing we see plain rain, south and east of Richmond yes. Hope we get a nice thumping before the changeover and maybe get some bands on the backside. Will be interesting to see what happens.