• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

With 1.01" precipitation through 6:40 pm, Richmond's total storm total snowfall is likely between 11.0" and 12.0" assuming similar ratios to what had been achieved through 5 pm.

With the 9.0" as of 5 pm, winter 2018-19 is already Richmond's 71st snowiest on record (if it does not snow again). With 11.0", winter 2018-19 would rank as Richmond's 61st snowiest on record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seether said:

3k Nam seems to show quite a bit more if im reading this right?  Can anyone with more knowledge chime in.

Screenshot_530.png

It does. A lot is still falling as of 6:45 pm but also remember that that is the 18z/1 pm EST run. So just looking at the model output, a lot would have fallen just between 1 pm and now (almost 00z) that is included in that. Plus that is using a 10:1 snow to rain ratio which is somewhat high as the warm air tries to move in from the south. So the amount would be probably closer to around 6 inches starting at 1 pm. Hope that makes some sense. Others can chime in and maybe word it better!

23 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

I was hearing pings on the window. Looks like rimmed snow at least.  A lull in the action now. 

Fairly sure the lull isnt a lull. That’s all she wrote!  Great ride and it’ll be fun tomorrow with the kids. Looking forward to waking up in the morning to a foot of snow. 

It has been fun guys, hope the first of many.  I measured 13" at Blueberry Hill Court, Forest at Patterson here in the 23229 at 8:10PM and then shoveled the walk.  

The airport reporting 11.5, it has to be the closest I have been  with them on a major storm...since...well, ever!

• Like 1

Richmond picked up 11.5" snow. All of last winter saw 12.4" snow fall at Richmond. Since 2000-2001, only 6 winters have had more snowfall than winter 2018-19.

Overall, winter 2018-19 now ranks as Richmond's 59th snowiest.

Since snowfall measurements were commenced, 8/21 (7%) of winters saw 30" or more snow. However, 2/7 (29%) of winters that had 10" or more snow through December wound up with 30" or more snow. 4/7 (57%) picked up 20" or more vs. 26/121 (21%) overall. In short, Richmond may be on track for a very snowy winter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

Just cleared the driveway.  That’s some heavy ass snow!  Glad I did it tonight before this freezing drizzle solidifies it.  I wouldn’t even be mad if there’s a fresh coat on it tomorrow.  Y’all be safe out there. Update your beneficiaries on your life insurance before you shovel just to be safe! 

I just did the same for 2nd time tonight. The first time shoveling around 4 wasn’t too bad, but that second round was pretty rough

Great snowstorm guys, sorry I was off the board all weekend! Bands in the late afternoon were the real deal, definitely 1-2 inches an hour for awhile. Shovelled a path to my grill at 5:30pm...had 2-3 inches of new snow there by 7:30. What a great way to start the season, and right near the solstice too so even with sun the melting at a real minimum

• Like 3

On 12/18/2018 at 3:29 PM, JB Fins said:

I thought 2" more would put us as the 2nd rainiest since records were kept, 1899 or 1897, one of those around that time, still too far out of reach.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:24 AM, eaglesin2011 said:

so how far off are we now for the record of all time rain fall for the year ?. Looks like at least another inch expected on Thurs

Thru 12/22, RIC is 0.93" from tying the 2nd wettest of 63.29". There is another chance this weekend, but based on the last couple storms, it probably won't make it. Nonetheless, this is only the 4th time exceeding 60" since precip records began in 1887.

• 3 weeks later...