Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SteveVa said:

If anyone is still here, I think it's worth discussing the 4/7-4/8 time frame as wintry precip is consistently showing up. 

Climo says no, Canadian and Euro say hell yes.

Wake me up on Friday and tell me what it is showing....  Still A bit early yet but hey, post the maps if you got um..... :snowwindow:

Def been bouncing back and forth the past few runs...

This Weds could be interesting with a gusty thunderstorm in some places....

• Like 1

Next meeting of the Central Virginia Chapter of the American Meteorological Society will be 1:00 pm (12:00 noon if you would like to eat lunch first), *Sunday*, April 22, 2018, at The Grapevine Restaurant, 11055 Three Chopt Rd, Henrico, Virginia. Speaker will be Dr. William (Bill) T. Hart, Storm Chaser/Photographer. His topic will be "Storm Chasing".

Central Virginia Chapter of the American Meteorological Society meetings are welcome to all with an interest in meteorology (professional meteorologists and weather enthusiasts). Although encouraged, chapter members do not need to be members of the American Meteorological Society.

The meeting agenda (subject to change) will be:

Welcome/Introductions

Chapter constitution - addressing comments received and ratification; to be submitted to the American Meteorological Society

Chapter Facebook update - Peter Effertz, Chapter President

Science Fair winners - Peter Effertz, Chapter President

MidAtlantic ChaserCon: Saturday, October 27, 2018, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Science Museum of Virginia, 2500 W. Broad Street, Richmond. Details regarding chapter involvement, agenda, speakers, topics, and registration will be forthcoming but mark your calendars now. This will be big! :-)

Speaker: Dr. William (Bill) T. Hart, Storm Chaser/Photographer, "Storm Chasing"

Next meeting/topic

The meeting will begin at 1:00 pm but please plan to come early (12 noon) and have lunch at The Grapevine. Menu: https://richmondgrapevine.com/menu/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@SteveVa how did you guys fare yesterday evening with the storms that rolled through. I was watching impressive lightning strike rates on the laptop while it was occurring. Looking to the north from Elizabeth City towards Virginia there was a huge and beautifully formed anvil cloud with amazing veins of lighting moving through it around 730 or so. We missed out on that, but we did pick up a quick .25 of an inch around 0330 this morning from a quick mover.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 2:38 PM, tramadoc said:

@SteveVa how did you guys fare yesterday evening with the storms that rolled through. I was watching impressive lightning strike rates on the laptop while it was occurring. Looking to the north from Elizabeth City towards Virginia there was a huge and beautifully formed anvil cloud with amazing veins of lighting moving through it around 730 or so. We missed out on that, but we did pick up a quick .25 of an inch around 0330 this morning from a quick mover.

That storm was awesome, probably one of the most intense I ever experienced lightning-wise combined with gusts in the 40s and heavy rain. There was a 20 minute period of constant lightning and thunder--I even lost power for the first time in a while. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From 10:43am EDT, Fri Sep 14 until 11:15am EDT, Fri Sep 14

Action Recommended: Take shelter in place or per instructions

Issued by: Wakefield - VA, US, National Weather Service,

The National Weather Service in Wakefield has issued a * Tornado Warning for... Northwestern Camden County in northeastern North Carolina... Northwestern Currituck County in northeastern North Carolina... The southeastern City of Chesapeake in southeastern Virginia... The south central City of Virginia Beach in southeastern Virginia... * Until 1115 AM EDT. * At 1042 AM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located near Currituck, moving west at 30 mph. HAZARD...Tornado. SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation. IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is likely. * This dangerous storm will be near... Moyock around 1050 AM EDT. Northwest around 1100 AM EDT. Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Snowden, Tar Corner, Sligo, Sharon, Lilly, Munden, Hickory and Chesapeake Airport. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris. Please report severe weather by calling 757-899-2415, posting to the NWS Wakefield Facebook page, or using Twitter @NWSWAKEFIELDVA.&& TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED HAIL...<.75

Other Alerts in the Vicinity

I'm glad everything shut down the past two days. I had the occasional leaf fall, a misty shower or two. Forecast this morning was for 40+mph gusts. I think we maxed out at 10mph, but for the most part there was barely enough wind to make the leaves move. I'm in New Kent.

I know Florence was a tough nut to crack, and it certainly showed in the forecast for my area. 

Another decent band coming into southern VA from the coast... Actually heaviest rain of the day here in Glen Allen Va at the monent..Still nothing serious .. The band down south may spin up a quick thurnderstorm or possible tornado...

Intellicast - Current Radar in Staunton, Virginia
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USVA0731&animate=true

Watch as a tornado rips apart a roof on a Chesterfield business. (Source: John Guth) * WARNING: Video contains graphic language.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=806108259559725&id=119929711351472&fs=0&focus_composer=0

6:15 PM WEATHER UPDATE: Warnings have expired in Central Va. for now; tornado and flood threat not over for the evening | Weather | richmond.com
https://www.richmond.com/weather/pm-weather-update-warnings-have-expired-in-central-va-for/article_f89760c4-e9d9-5492-9059-5a800b09d6ed.html

• Thanks 1

ALERT

Due to the anticipated effects of Tropical Storm Michael, which include heavy rains, possible flash flooding and damaging wind gusts please read carefully:

Henrico County HIGH SCHOOLS will dismiss at 1:00 p.m. today, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018.

Advanced Career Education Center students will not travel to afternoon ACE Center programs. They will remain at their “home” high schools until dismissal at 1:00 p.m.

Elementary schools will dismiss at their normal times (2:10 p.m. and 2:40 p.m.)

The Achievable Dream Certified Academy at Highland Springs Elementary School will dismiss on its Friday dismissal schedule which means students will dismiss today at 2:40 p.m.

Middle schools also will dismiss at their normal time (3:15 p.m.)

All after-school activities for Thursday, Oct 11, will be cancelled.

The School Board work session, which begins today at 2 p.m., will take place as scheduled at the New Bridge Auditorium, 5915 Nine Mile Road.

Looking ahead: We anticipate a normal on-time start to the school day on Friday, Oct. 12. However, we will be monitoring conditions overnight, including the possibility of localized flooding and power outages. If any schools are impacted by storm damage or a loss of electricity, we will communicate again on Friday morning.

As of 5:20 pm, Richmond had picked up 0.41" rain. That brings 2018 precipitation to 49.00". As a result, 2018 now ranks just ahead of 1923 as Richmond's 31st wettest year on record. During 1923, Richmond had 48.96" precipitation.

7 pm update: Richmond's annual precipitation reached 50.00". 2018 is only the 24th year on record with 50.00" or more precipitation in Richmond.

• Like 1

Hi, Gang ~  Is this the main thread for posting weather thoughts on the Richmond, Virginia area?  For year-round weather?  Or is there another thread for that?  I'm really looking for just a thread for Richmond, Virginia, as that's my newest location, having moved here 3 months ago.  

-- cyclogenesis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyclogenesis said:

Hi, Gang ~  Is this the main thread for posting weather thoughts on the Richmond, Virginia area?  For year-round weather?  Or is there another thread for that?  I'm really looking for just a thread for Richmond, Virginia, as that's my newest location, having moved here 3 months ago.  

-- cyclogenesis

Yep, this is the main thread all year. Welcome. :-)