• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

If the Tuesday storm misses DC this winter will really be the biggest tease in history. They probably had 100" of digital snow inside 7 days.

I'm more interested in the follow up wave on Thur-Fri. EPS has a good signal for RIC metro into Hampton Roads.

8 minutes ago, DJnVa said:

What's the timing on these events in our area?

It could changeover to snow in ORF early Wednesday AM at best. Potential for frozen precip could extend late into Wed night, keeping in mind that temps will likely be above 32 throughout the event. Still too early for more details.

Rain starts Monday night, changeover to snow probably very late on Tue into early Wed for RIC.

Thanks. I have travel plans on Wednesday--flying out west. The bigger issue is that colleagues are flying out of DC on Wednesday as well and that might be a bit iffy. Wondering when we should make a final decision--even if I can get out of here, they may not be able to.

Here are the Norfolk late March snowstorms from largest to smallest since 1891.

7.5” March 25, 1974

5.5” March 20-21, 1908

5.0” March 22, 1914,

4.6” March 24, 1940

4.2” March 26, 1971

4.0” March 24, 1906

3.3” March 27-28, 1947

2.5” March 20, 1914

2.0” March 24, 1896

1.5” March 23, 1934

1.0” March 30, 1964, March 17, 1893

0.3” March 20, 1934

0.1” March 29, 1941, March 26, 1894

• Like 1

Where the banding sets up & sits is going to make a big difference ...its def going to be hit & miss with this one.... Prob willl be allot of places that get almost nothing, then just a few miles away get walloped..(dry area always is the key around here also) and how fast that moves in..

• Like 1

RVA snow predictions for tomorrow based on latest data (first time I’m doing this on here so go easy lol)

Accumulation probabilities- 

1/2” to 1” -95% chance 
1-2”-75%  chance 
2-3”-65% chance
3-4-35% chance 
4” or more 20% chance 

Places like Glen Allen, Goochland, Ashland, maybe even Mechanicsville best chances for the higher amounts. We shall see.

Seems reasonable based on the model output I had seen in the main thread.

It could be that some folks get on the higher end but the melting/compaction that occurs may lessen that total during the day Wednesday.  Which leads me to an interesting thought that I will have to google...what is the official measurement for a snowstorm?  For example, at RIC Airport, assume we have great snow rates during the night and hypothetically we get 4" of snow on the board and they check that measurement, if/when melting compaction occurs while it is still snowing and at the conclusion of the event is only 2", what is the accepted official total?

• Like 1

I was hoping we could hold onto the heavy precip from this first round a little longer but looks like its just going to miss out on most of the area..Temps prob will bounce back up again a degree or two for a bit.......  Def going to be close with the 2nd system looks like its def could blow up and stall for a bit...where it does will be key...... Hopefully we can avoid the dry air and have the cold air in rush in faster then expected..   

Could easily over preform here if we get the banding to set up right.. Then again dry air/mix could kill us.. . If we can get some good precip in here around the 3am timeframe that could make a big difference..Really won't know till the precip is just about over the area ...I'm at 35 degrees out here in Glen Allen at the moment so this def could go either way...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Could easily over preform here if we get the banding to set up right.. Then again dry air/mix could kill us.. . If we can get some good precip in here around the 3am timeframe that could make a big difference..Really won't know till the precip is just about over the area ...I'm at 35 degrees out here in Glen Allen at the moment so this def could go either way...

Was 33 here when I pulled car in garage (only do that when there are PENDING snow events lol). NAM dry but GFS nice again at 0z

As luck would have it ...we are now in the screw zone to start off this storm, between the developing precip on the coast and the low wrapping around from the west... The storm is Def  not orginized at all yet,..looks like we will be in and out of this zone for the next few hours with on and off light mix..Looks to me,  it will be about the 7 am hour  until we get out of this first lull...

(West end Glen Allen)