Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

1 hour ago, tramadoc said:

Let’s be honest... how real do we think this is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I said this last night.... I  def can see it happen.. really depends how fast it moves.. but with the sun setting now def a good chance to add up quick down there.. Also getting a little light burst again out here in the west end... still only about 2 here tho

22 minutes ago, ATreglown said:

I am happy with snowfall today. Puts me at 17" for the season, well above average with still half the season to go. Hopefully we can continue this into the second half! But, looks like we have a bit of warm to deal with first.

How much did you get from this event?

About 2" give or take on the ground near town center of VB. No precip currently but as the snow hole over the area is filling in I believe we'll be able to get another inch, or maybe 2" on the high end.

This event will likely push the total for the season over a foot for ORF...or about 240% of climo. I give this winter an A-  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

About 2" give or take on the ground near town center of VB. No precip currently but as the snow hole over the area is filling in I believe we'll be able to get another inch, or maybe 2" on the high end.

This event will likely push the total for the season over a foot for ORF...or about 240% of climo. I give this winter an A-  

240% climo and it gets an A-. I would say that is as A+!!!

1 minute ago, ATreglown said:

240% climo and it gets an A-. I would say that is as A+!!!

I know I am extremely happy with snow in PG, VA this year!! It has exceeded my expectations!! To have 3 nice events, one being 8" by Jan. 17th, I will take any given year, and try not to complain the next year!

Bands seem to be blossoming just SW of the area. Just went for a nice, long jebwalk. It's just beautiful outside...about 2.5" on the ground. 

SPC says it's getting real for you @tramadoc tonight

Mesoscale Discussion 0031
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0909 PM CST Wed Jan 17 2018

Areas affected...The Outer Banks area of North Carolina into the
   Tidewater area of southeast Virginia

Concerning...Heavy snow 

Valid 180309Z - 180715Z

SUMMARY...Heavy snow rates in excess of 1 inch per hour, including
   occasional heavier convective bursts, may develop across the North
   Carolina Outer Banks area, possibly into portions of the Virginia
   Tidewater, during the 11 PM to 4 AM time frame.

DISCUSSION...A significant mid-level trough is forecast to continue
   pivoting east of the southern Appalachians during the next few
   hours.  As it does, models suggest that it may take on more of a
   neutral to negative tilt, accompanied by an increasingly better
   defined lower/mid tropospheric cyclonic circulation center across
   the piedmont through coastal areas.  This appears likely to
   contribute to a consolidating area of upward vertical motion, with
   considerable strengthening by the 05-08Z time frame, centered across
   the Outer Banks area of North Carolina.

Aided by dynamic cooling, cold advection and melting precipitation,
   thermodynamic profiles near immediate coastal areas are expected to
   cool entirely below freezing, supporting snow or a changeover to
   snow.  Rapid Refresh forecast soundings indicate that lift may
   become maximized within the dendritic growth layer for several
   hours, supporting snow rates in excess of 1 inch per hour, in the
   presence of precipitable water between .5 and .75 inches.  At least
   some convective enhancement appears possible leading to occasional
   heavier bursts of snow, before diminishing/spreading offshore after
   08-09Z.

It is possible similar snow rates could impact portions of the
   southeast Virginia Tidewater, but the most prolonged/heaviest snow 
   appears most likely to the south, across the Outer Banks area
   near/north of Cape Hatteras.

..Kerr.. 01/18/2018
  • Like 1

Bands seem to be blossoming just SW of the area. Just went for a nice, long jebwalk. It's just beautiful outside...about 2.5" on the ground. 
SPC says it's getting real for you [mention=10224]tramadoc[/mention] tonight
Mesoscale Discussion 0031  NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK  0909 PM CST Wed Jan 17 2018  Areas affected...The Outer Banks area of North Carolina into the  Tidewater area of southeast Virginia  Concerning...Heavy snow   Valid 180309Z - 180715Z  SUMMARY...Heavy snow rates in excess of 1 inch per hour, including  occasional heavier convective bursts, may develop across the North  Carolina Outer Banks area, possibly into portions of the Virginia  Tidewater, during the 11 PM to 4 AM time frame.  DISCUSSION...A significant mid-level trough is forecast to continue  pivoting east of the southern Appalachians during the next few  hours.  As it does, models suggest that it may take on more of a  neutral to negative tilt, accompanied by an increasingly better  defined lower/mid tropospheric cyclonic circulation center across  the piedmont through coastal areas.  This appears likely to  contribute to a consolidating area of upward vertical motion, with  considerable strengthening by the 05-08Z time frame, centered across  the Outer Banks area of North Carolina.  Aided by dynamic cooling, cold advection and melting precipitation,  thermodynamic profiles near immediate coastal areas are expected to  cool entirely below freezing, supporting snow or a changeover to  snow.  Rapid Refresh forecast soundings indicate that lift may  become maximized within the dendritic growth layer for several  hours, supporting snow rates in excess of 1 inch per hour, in the  presence of precipitable water between .5 and .75 inches.  At least  some convective enhancement appears possible leading to occasional  heavier bursts of snow, before diminishing/spreading offshore after  08-09Z.  It is possible similar snow rates could impact portions of the  southeast Virginia Tidewater, but the most prolonged/heaviest snow   appears most likely to the south, across the Outer Banks area  near/north of Cape Hatteras.  ..Kerr.. 01/18/2018

I noticed some deeep blues on radar headed this way.

10 hours ago, tramadoc said:
10 hours ago, RIC Airport said:
Officially 2.0" at RIC on the preliminary report. ORF likely to break daily snowfall record.

Doubtful they break it seeing as how it's 17.5".

He meant for the date, 1/17...would be news if they broke their actual daily snowfall record for all days.

What are we at for total in RIC - RIC Airport?  For the winter, 7.5"?

• Like 1

For anyone in the metro Richmond area:

The next meeting of the Central Virginia Chapter of the American Meteorological Society will be 6:00 pm, Thursday, February 1, 2018, at The Grapevine Restaurant, 11055 Three Chopt Rd, Henrico, Virginia. Our speaker will be Branco Vlacich, Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). His topic will be "VDOT Winter Storm Preparation".

The Central Virginia Chapter of the American Meteorological Society meetings are welcome to all with an interest in meteorology (professional meteorologists and weather enthusiasts). Although encouraged, chapter members do not need to be members of the American Meteorological Society.

The meeting agenda (subject to change) will be:
1. Welcome/Introductions
2. Chapter elections. Nominees are:
For President, Peter Effertz, Meteorologist, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
For Vice President, Russell Harper, Dominion Energy
For Secretary/Treasurer, Dan Salkovitz, Meteorologist, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
3. Chapter constitution (required to be submitted to the American Meteorological Society)
4. Chapter Facebook page update - Peter Effertz
3. Speaker: Branco Vlacich, Virginia Department of Transportation, "VDOT Winter Storm Preparation".
4. Topic/date for next meeting?

Please plan to come early (5:15-5:30 pm) and have dinner at The Grapevine. Menu: https://richmondgrapevine.com/menu/

If you know someone who would like to be included in chapter email notifications please let me know. Please feel free to invite others and/or distribute this announcement although the venue (The Grapevine's back room) is limited to about 20 people for now. RSVP to me please.

• Like 1