• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

Blizzard conditions in Va Beach with winds gusting into 40s, I drove around for an hour and there is a noticeable uptick in snow as you pass Rosemont. Probably getting close to 4".

Here is a picture from 10:30 pm and 12:30 am. They're bad quality because it's hard to take good pics in blizzard conditions lol

10:30

132b0f96-9137-4169-b9e6-371ef43e0dea.thumb.jpg.0ac03ee4b5b275596a6b91d4374184d9.jpg

and 12:30

19e876ea-acf8-48d4-bdab-7d5cb0e01d15.thumb.jpg.d057079339213a32d486b9da3a254f78.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

Blizzard conditions in Va Beach with winds gusting into 40s, I drove around for an hour and there is a noticeable uptick in snow as you pass Rosemont. Probably getting close to 4".

Here is a picture from 10:30 pm and 12:30 am. They're bad quality because it's hard to take good pics in blizzard conditions lol

10:30

132b0f96-9137-4169-b9e6-371ef43e0dea.thumb.jpg.0ac03ee4b5b275596a6b91d4374184d9.jpg

and 12:30

19e876ea-acf8-48d4-bdab-7d5cb0e01d15.thumb.jpg.d057079339213a32d486b9da3a254f78.jpg

Nice photos!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

I can either report thundersnow (unlikely) or transformers exploding, just over 10 thousand without electricity in the city so far. Not surprising since NTU recorded a 47mph gust.

Listening to the scanner there has been about 10 reports of transformers exploding in the last hour.

6 hours ago, RIC Airport said:

2nd Blizzard Warning in LESS than 12 months for southside Hampton Roads. Last one issued was on 1/7/2017!!! Jealous!!!

Yea unreal, I would consider boxing day a blizzard too, even without warnings. I felt slighted last year sleet killed the totals. But this baby is the real deal and still pouring. 

6 minutes ago, DownS.EasternVa said:

Yea unreal, I would consider boxing day a blizzard too, even without warnings. I felt slighted last year sleet killed the totals. But this baby is the real deal and still pouring. 

Yes this was the real deal of a storm.  Glad I was able to experience it.  Hope everybody who lost power in the area, will have it restore very soon.  

6 minutes ago, EverythingisEverything said:

Yes this was the real deal of a storm.  Glad I was able to experience it.  Hope everybody who lost power in the area, will have it restore very soon.  

Yes hopefully everyone without power is safe as it will be brutally cold til Monday. I've been in HR all my life, I didn't experience my first true coastal blizzard until 2010 Boxing Day. We've done pretty good these last year's with snow, especially the ever elusive coastal BOMBS. Windwhip snow, 1.5' drifts, snow lovers rejoice.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Another chance the middle of next week folks.

Yup... like it so far. Again, we're in a good spot if the coastal redevelopment occurs. Let's keep the south trend going as long as we can because we all know it will come NW eventually in the short range. 18z GFS came in a bit more progressive than 12z but is still a great event verbatim. Probably WSW criteria for both of our yards. Wouldn't like to see today's 12z Euro pan out, that would be a lot of cold rain and some back end flurries. EPS has a 2-3" mean for my area, but the spread is still too large to put too much stock on the ensemble mean. What I do like is that a majority of members don't shut us out for the Wed-Thu time frame. Plus, we have somewhat of a h5 agreement on the two main globals which gives me slightly more confidence than usual during a NS dominated winter. 

It would be nice to score one more time before Feb rolls around. We could be heading into fab Feb too lol. Usually I don't get too much into strat stuff because I don't have a good grasp on it...and people who don't know a lot about it hype it too much. It could be the real deal this time though. A lot of very knowledgeable folks on Twitter seem interested and they know what they're talking about. Gotta be some potential there. 

• Like 1

Yup... like it so far. Again, we're in a good spot if the coastal redevelopment occurs. Let's keep the south trend going as long as we can because we all know it will come NW eventually in the short range. 18z GFS came in a bit more progressive than 12z but is still a great event verbatim. Probably WSW criteria for both of our yards. Wouldn't like to see today's 12z Euro pan out, that would be a lot of cold rain and some back end flurries. EPS has a 2-3" mean for my area, but the spread is still too large to put too much stock on the ensemble mean. What I do like is that a majority of members don't shut us out for the Wed-Thu time frame. Plus, we have somewhat of a h5 agreement on the two main globals which gives me slightly more confidence than usual during a NS dominated winter. 
It would be nice to score one more time before Feb rolls around. We could be heading into fab Feb too lol. Usually I don't get too much into strat stuff because I don't have a good grasp on it...and people who don't know a lot about it hype it too much. It could be the real deal this time though. A lot of very knowledgeable folks on Twitter seem interested and they know what they're talking about. Gotta be some potential there. 
Judah Cohen and Anthony Masiello are harping on a SSWE the end of the month which they are implying could be for a cold February.

Agreed. Once more nice 3-4" event and I would be fine with Calling it a winter. I'm already well over climo.

Just checked Wakefield and they are  only saying a few snow showers are  possible in NE forecast area Tues.

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...
Low confidence forecast beyond Monday as 12z/11 suite of models
are having a difficult time in resolving differences wrt
handling of a strong upper trough/closed low digging across the
Great Lakes/Northeast next week. Will lean toward a blend of the
12z GFS/GEFS/CMC which all seem to be in reasonable agreement
with the aforementioned trough/closed low pivoting SE to a
centralized position over Lake Erie by 12z Tues. From there,
this feature slowly lifts NE into New England by 12z Thurs. In
doing so, it will force a cold front through the local area on
Tues with high pressure returning next Wed/Thu. What remains to
be seen as whether or not the front produces any pcpn as it
passes on Tues, as it would probably be cold enough aloft to
generate some snow showers (at least NE of the I-64 corridor).
Have placed some low PoPs in these areas. Otherwise, next week
is looking dry and chilly. Highs Monday from the mid 30s N to
low 40s S. Highs Tuesday from the mid 30s N to the mid 40s
south. Highs next Wed/Thu in the 30s. Lows through the period
primarily in the teens and 20s.

Thats from the afternoon disco

22 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

Just checked Wakefield and they are  only saying a few snow showers are  possible in NE forecast area Tues.

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...
Low confidence forecast beyond Monday as 12z/11 suite of models
are having a difficult time in resolving differences wrt
handling of a strong upper trough/closed low digging across the
Great Lakes/Northeast next week. Will lean toward a blend of the
12z GFS/GEFS/CMC which all seem to be in reasonable agreement
with the aforementioned trough/closed low pivoting SE to a
centralized position over Lake Erie by 12z Tues. From there,
this feature slowly lifts NE into New England by 12z Thurs. In
doing so, it will force a cold front through the local area on
Tues with high pressure returning next Wed/Thu. What remains to
be seen as whether or not the front produces any pcpn as it
passes on Tues, as it would probably be cold enough aloft to
generate some snow showers (at least NE of the I-64 corridor).
Have placed some low PoPs in these areas. Otherwise, next week
is looking dry and chilly. Highs Monday from the mid 30s N to
low 40s S. Highs Tuesday from the mid 30s N to the mid 40s
south. Highs next Wed/Thu in the 30s. Lows through the period
primarily in the teens and 20s.

Thats from the afternoon disco

More model runs to see how it may play out.   Not sure if people in SEVA are ready to see more snow.   I don't mind at all lol.