• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

Feel like the TV Mets were a little behind on this one and I know the models were late and this is Richmond climo.  However, when Norman, OK is discussing the possibility of 1" an hour rates, even if it doesn't stick to the roads, visibility becomes treacherous.  The ride home from work was tricky, lots of accidents.

1 hour ago, SteveVa said:

So close, but so far! 

Temperature down to 39 here in Virginia Beach. I can confirm some frozen precip mixing in with the rain using the black jacket test :) 

Down to 37.7 here over in Brigadoon. We are so close! Watching the line move closer and closer. You never know! 

1 hour ago, SoCoWx said:

Don’t know if the rest of y’all are seeing sleet, but it looks like about 50% sleet from my window right now. I’m right next to a street light. Any idea when that’ll pass? If at all? I’m in Monroe Ward, right in the city.

Airport is back to ALL snow as of 7pm ob. Snowdepth was 1 inch.

47 minutes ago, SoCoWx said:

So, when do we call this a bust on the low end for Richmond?

Not really a bust..the real cold air just never made it here. But if u wanna say we could of got 9 and ended up with 1-4 in most of the area that's true .. Most places should see a nice burst of snow right before this storm ends and around the start of the army /navy game... That should be fun to watch... 

1 minute ago, eaglesin2011 said:

Not really a bust..the real cold air just never made it here. Most of the area should see a nice burst right before this storm ends here and around the start of the army /navy game... that should be fun to watch... 

Most of the model guidance was near unanimous that Richmond would be under the heavier amounts even as it was snowing yesterday. Personally, I’d call that a bust at this point. I understand why it happened. Dry air, too warm, no phase. But still.

4 hours ago, SoCoWx said:

Most of the model guidance was near unanimous that Richmond would be under the heavier amounts even as it was snowing yesterday. Personally, I’d call that a bust at this point. I understand why it happened. Dry air, too warm, no phase. But still.

It happens almost every storm here even when it's cold the dry air seems to win out ha.. hard to get a perfect storm here... For this early in the season I'll take it.. Too bad the energy coming down from the lakes didn't happen a little sooner.. could of really helped intensify everything .. Will help a little here at the end .. owell

awesome early event picked up 4.6". the locals and nws struggled with this one. I don't think anybody knew what they would be driving in  at rush hour. the old too early in the season, warm ground, warm road temps it wont stick, crap can be put to bed.

Fridays time lapse

https://video.nest.com/clip/2cb911fb53e543cb87a06793d44e2a0a.mp4

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Midlo Snow Maker said:

awesome early event picked up 4.6". the locals and nws struggled with this one. I don't think anybody knew what they would be driving in  at rush hour. the old too early in the season, warm ground, warm road temps it wont stick, crap can be put to bed.

Fridays time lapse

https://video.nest.com/clip/2cb911fb53e543cb87a06793d44e2a0a.mp4

The time lapse is awesome.  I might have to set one of those up in the yard.

5 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The time lapse is awesome.  I might have to set one of those up in the yard.

I have one at smith mtn lake and love the weather time lapses

https://video.nest.com/clip/50ac1132e9cb4bcb9dbc1d7b049add7a.mp4

https://video.nest.com/clip/6aaf3685356f4bc9a8b2598b338cab95.mp4

36 degrees and light rain. There was a burst of snow at the beginning, rates did overcome for a couple of minutes! lol 

Seems like lower Eastern Shore could pick up a coating as well as middle peninsula. If the moisture had tracked just 20-40 miles more south MBY would probably get a coating too. 

Onto tomorrow night's possible flurries...

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I realize I'm not in Hampton Roads per se, but this is the closest thing to me since I live in KECG, about an hour south of KORF. I'm in no man's land between the SE forum and MA forum. Other than SteveVa on the SE forum, no one is remotely close to me. I hope to talk to y'all and add worthy discussion to this forum.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Okay. I realize I'm not in Hampton Roads per se, but this is the closest thing to me since I live in KECG, about an hour south of KORF. I'm in no man's land between the SE forum and MA forum. Other than SteveVa on the SE forum, no one is remotely close to me. I hope to talk to y'all and add worthy discussion to this forum.

There are at least dozen members from the Hampton Roads area...at least from what I saw during the Jan 6-7 blizzard. They're just not that active when it's not snowing, I guess.

We definitely "belong" to the SE forum, but sometimes I feel out of place since is mostly Central NC/Upstate SC/North GA centric. That's why I usually post in the MA forum. Hope they're gonna take us in as refugees :lol:

In other news, a beautiful winter day today. Sunny, 47 degrees. 

There are at least dozen members from the Hampton Roads area...at least from what I saw during the Jan 6-7 blizzard. They're just not that active when it's not snowing, I guess.
We definitely "belong" to the SE forum, but sometimes I feel out of place since is mostly Central NC/Upstate SC/North GA centric. That's why I usually post in the MA forum. Hope they're gonna take us in as refugees 
We're the bastard children here. Not wanted by anyone.

All are welcome here.  It is tough as the good content is in the DC centric threads and all of Maryland and NoVA.  I just tend to lurk and not post in those threads as they don't really consider anything south of Fredericksburg as the mid-Atlantic. 

At least we will have some cold for Christmas, I just wanted it cold enough to have a fire.  Models looking to set something up for late next week.  If it stays on the models over the weekend, we could be looking at a big dog.

On 12/21/2017 at 11:56 AM, SteveVa said:

We definitely "belong" to the SE forum, but sometimes I feel out of place since is mostly Central NC/Upstate SC/North GA centric. That's why I usually post in the MA forum. Hope they're gonna take us in as refugees :lol:

I've been posting on these boards for many years going back nearly 15 years now. As I've said previously, from a climate standpoint, particularly when we consider snowfall climatology, we do not belong in the SE thread. I would argue, especially for the Richmond area,  that there is a higher correlation with DC than Raleigh. The winter of 2007-8 was the first time I created a thread for us and I contemplated including Hampton Roads because often times there is a big disparity with snow between the two regions. Think of two weeks ago and numerous other examples. But, since I wanted to generate more posters I felt compelled to include the two metro areas.

This is a DC centric forum. That is the whole point of this thread so that we had a place to escape and focus on our unique area. But, if people post in the other threads or quitely lurk without contributing here, then this idea becomes meaningless. 

• Like 1

@RIC Airport I agree with everything you said. ORF is pretty similar to RDU as far as climo goes though. I wish there were more active members from our areas on the forum considering the population. 

Fun times ahead. EPS was very kind to us today. Hopefully we can continue the theme of weakening the SER and pushing systems farther south. This far east, I can't rely on CAD too much. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveVa said:

@RIC Airport I agree with everything you said. ORF is pretty similar to RDU as far as climo goes though. I wish there were more active members from our areas on the forum considering the population. 

Fun times ahead. EPS was very kind to us today. Hopefully we can continue the theme of weakening the SER and pushing systems farther south. This far east, I can't rely on CAD too much. 

From what we've seen over the years, they come out of their hiding when it actually does snow. Haha. 

• Like 1