Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Well folks the streak is finally over. Despite the two waves, the snow never completely stopped officially, so we finally got our 10"+ storm.

Hopefully it wont be another 8 yrs until the next one.

Good call earlier, you were going with the 6-10 and that verified well for most of us. Someone needs to save that 500mb map, next time we see a closed low meandering like that all bets are off. Funny to think some of those crazy NAM runs were pretty close. Great storm, if I had to nitpick I'd like it to have started a little earlier to take advantage of night hours a bit more, or just happen a few weeks earlier so it had a chance to stick around for a few days. We are well over 50 inches now for the season so nothing to complain about, think this Winter earned itself an A.

2 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Yeah definitely not in terms of impact....but the airport is 1200’ which had it in a good spot for a late season, elevation driven storm.

I had more in 12.2003, 2.2007, 2.10.2010 and 3.2013.

Obviously thinking 2.2003 and 2.06.2010 as ur top 2

Agree, had it happened a few weeks earlier, or more overnight would have a bigger impact. Would have been nice to get the day off and just enjoy the snow, but I'll take it! I was outside around 11:30 and it was just pouring snow and it was accumulating on treated sidewalks and pavement. Pretty impressive, of course once it lightened up it started melting off. Didn't have to scrape the car either, it all just wiped off which I'm sure was a factor of the temps near freezing and the increased sun angle.

I'd also like to add we have a good group of regular posters now, for several years our area was pretty sparse in that regard. It definitely adds to the enjoyment having an outlet to vent your frustration or join in your joy and excitement. Most people find this an odd thing to enjoy, although I think there is a larger portion of the population that enjoys the snow than would admit, most aren't as dedicated as us. :snowing:

4 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Agree, had it happened a few weeks earlier, or more overnight would have a bigger impact. Would have been nice to get the day off and just enjoy the snow, but I'll take it! I was outside around 11:30 and it was just pouring snow and it was accumulating on treated sidewalks and pavement. Pretty impressive, of course once it lightened up it started melting off. Didn't have to scrape the car either, it all just wiped off which I'm sure was a factor of the temps near freezing and the increased sun angle.

Beautiful day.....not a mega storm per se, but historic for post Equinox (has to be top 5 after March 20)

But all that aside, just a great day to be outside

3 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I'd also like to add we have a good group of regular posters now, for several years our area was pretty sparse in that regard. It definitely adds to the enjoyment having an outlet to vent your frustration or join in your joy and excitement. Most people find this an odd thing to enjoy, although I think there is a larger portion of the population that enjoys the snow than would admit, most aren't as dedicated as us. :snowing:

Amen to that... 

8 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

So question what exactly happened to allow us to hit 10+? Was it the upper low?

The location and orientation of the H5 low was key. It's shape was closer to an oval which allowed a longer duration of precip, plus the location kept us out of the dry slot.

The 850 and 700mb lows also provided decent moisture, considering how far west we were.

So question what exactly happened to allow us to hit 10+? Was it the upper low?

I would also say that the fact that is completely closed off was key. I may be wrong, but I don’t think that was in the models. The close off provided more differentiation between the air masses. I would also argue that even though it wasn’t a cut off low, it managed to stay well out of the steering winds and moved very slowly. Just my thoughts.

55 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

The location and orientation of the H5 low was key. It's shape was closer to an oval which allowed a longer duration of precip, plus the location kept us out of the dry slot.

The 850 and 700mb lows also provided decent moisture, considering how far west we were.

The set up reminded me of 2/5-2/6 2010 but without the front end. The radar appearance today was almost identical to that storm after the coastal took over. 

Solid Winter on the books this season, 52.5 inches, which is 13.8 above average, and 20.5 inches greater than last year! Still a chance we add a couple of inches here and there but not bad especially when you consider we wasted a large portion of February with warmth. This storm was fun, and so was the rain to snow storm we had back in Jan, we had a white Christmas with cold and snow around the Holidays, and some brutal cold air to go along with our typical nickel and dime events in Jan. Overall I'd take this winter again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

Climaterep.thumb.jpg.f11aa6ee56a35eec8ea3e9cb1983550a.jpg

KPIT posted their 24 hour total as 10.5". 8pm to 8pm 

They also had 1.8 from tuesday. I am pretty sure that the 1.8 fell before 8pm.

This gives a storm total of 12.3"

This makes me very happy. 

We wished for it all season. The amount of times that someone on here posted pleading and wishing for an 8-12 storm. It finally happened. What a season. 

I am happy and can officially be done with winter. Bring on the spring season with all the thunderstorms. I am ready to track some severe weather events. :lightning::twister:

5 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Solid Winter on the books this season, 52.5 inches, which is 13.8 above average, and 20.5 inches greater than last year! Still a chance we add a couple of inches here and there but not bad especially when you consider we wasted a large portion of February with warmth. This storm was fun, and so was the rain to snow storm we had back in Jan, we had a white Christmas with cold and snow around the Holidays, and some brutal cold air to go along with our typical nickel and dime events in Jan. Overall I'd take this winter again in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

Climaterep.thumb.jpg.f11aa6ee56a35eec8ea3e9cb1983550a.jpg

Just my thoughts exactly. Winter came early....White Christmas Cold and some clippers...Bad February but finally a nice surprise snow to top it off. I do enjoy the posters on here and I enjoy doing it again Next Winter. I will also be here all spring and summer to because I love a good thunderstorm and hoping we get many chances this summer. Thanks All!:violin:

15 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Sun is bad for you, UV radiation, skin cancer, sun burns.. better off without it!

You do realize that you live in an area with one of the highest overall cancer rates in the nation, right? In fact if I'm not mistaken, the town of Apollo officially holds that title thanks to the fact that it's basically a former dumping ground for nuclear waste. So it doesn't make much sense to rationalize our abysmal lack of sunshine like that. After all, skin cancer is relatively easy to cure in comparison to the more aggressive, exotic forms of the disease that are so prevalent around here. Last I checked, there's been this thing called sunscreen on the market for the past 60+ years that provides excellent protection against the harmful effects of sun exposure. You can only get it during certain times of the year here though. I believe Giant Eagle actually pulls it from their store shelves every year on September 1st, which really underscores the mentality of this region. It's all good though. After all, we're also home to "world class" medical care right? That's because all of these doctors who've relocated to Pittsburgh from the world over have done so because this is the City of Champions, and they simply wanted to become Pittsburgh sports fans. They also were intelligent enough to realize that Pittsburgh truly is "America's most livable city", and therefore recognized the value of relocating to our area. It of course had nothing to do with money or the fact that this region is so insanely unhealthy that they'll never have a shortage of patients. I need to stop typing now because my hometahn pride is welling up way too much, and I might start breaking into the "Here We Go" song. Now I'm gonna go eat a 5,000 calorie meal and worsh it dahn with a 6 pack of beer.

21 minutes ago, snowsux said:

You do realize that you live in an area with one of the highest overall cancer rates in the nation, right? In fact if I'm not mistaken, the town of Apollo officially holds that title thanks to the fact that it's basically a former dumping ground for nuclear waste. So it doesn't make much sense to rationalize our abysmal lack of sunshine like that. After all, skin cancer is relatively easy to cure in comparison to the more aggressive, exotic forms of the disease that are so prevalent around here. Last I checked, there's been this thing called sunscreen on the market for the past 60+ years that provides excellent protection against the harmful effects of sun exposure. You can only get it during certain times of the year here though. I believe Giant Eagle actually pulls it from their store shelves every year on September 1st, which really underscores the mentality of this region. It's all good though. After all, we're also home to "world class" medical care right? That's because all of these doctors who've relocated to Pittsburgh from the world over have done so because this is the City of Champions, and they simply wanted to become Pittsburgh sports fans. They also were intelligent enough to realize that Pittsburgh truly is "America's most livable city", and therefore recognized the value of relocating to our area. It of course had nothing to do with money or the fact that this region is so insanely unhealthy that they'll never have a shortage of patients. I need to stop typing now because my hometahn pride is welling up way too much, and I might start breaking into the "Here We Go" song. Now I'm gonna go eat a 5,000 calorie meal and worsh it dahn with a 6 pack of beer.

Well, maybe after the population dies off things will get better: http://triblive.com/local/regional/13443534-74/regions-population-slowly-dying-off

My comment about the dangers of sun exposure were largely tongue-in-cheek vs an attempt to provide a rational reason to be happy about our relative lack of sunny days. It's also a bit of an apples to oranges comparison when discussing the cancer causing effects of the sun vs the terrible and likely corrupt business practices of NUMEC in Apollo. It's just the region's climatology, and I doubt you will see many running off to by solar panels in the hopes of earning back their investment in this part of the country.

Your overall disdain for the Pittsburgh area has been made clear several times, both in your comments and satirical use of "Pittsburghese". While it can be humorous in small doses it does get a bit old. I'm not sure where you are originally from but its irrelevant at this point, lets just get back to talking weather which is the purpose of this thread.

15 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Where you from? I’m sure it’s glorious

(not that you that you are going to answer)

I live far, far away from Pittsburgh (like a whole HOUR away) in the mythical town of Saltsburg. Yinzer lore has it that many a yinzer has attempted to make the long, arduous voyage to this place in recent years for it's recreational attributes, but most become lost and frightened on the way and wind up turning around. Those who do manage to complete their journeys are rewarded with a day of pleasant fun on our river and our hiking trail, where they usually get wasted on bad beer, pick the occasional fight with a local, and throw their litter on our otherwise clean streets. Usually the most common yinzer sightings on the weekends here are of the man-bunned, goateed faux hipster male and their mustached, disproportionately odd-shaped bikini clad female counterparts who's only means of verbal communication appears to be pointing to the sky and screaming "Woo!" whenever a favored Kenny Chesney song is blasted on a nearby car stereo. This particular species of yinzer loves to put white oval "yinz" and "DMB" bumper stickers on their bike-rack accessorized Subarus and VW Jettas while they stand around outside of our local canoe rental shop and slowly get inebriated as they show off their oddly shaped, scantily clad bodies and flick cigarette butt after cigarette butt into the street. Every once in a while though, when one of them gets too wasted, they'll stagger into the street in front of a moving vehicle, forcing the driver to have to slam on the brakes in order to avoid hitting them. The yinzer (usually a male of the aforementioned man-bunned, goateed variety) will drunkenly request (usually with a circular hand gesture) that the driver wind down the window, at which point the yinzer will mumble his request for verbal directions to his query of "what's the fastest way to get back ta Pixbargh, bud?" This is because even in the Year of our Lord 2018, verbal directions from strangers are favored by most true yinzers over the "compwicated" GPS technology that the rest of the developed world has used for the past 20 years. 

So come on down to our otherwise quiet little picturesque and clean town this summer, and join in all of the sloppy drunk, obnoxious festivities! A little piece of advice though: If you do manage to board a canoe without falling into the river and drowning because you blood alcohol content is high enough to kill the average non-alcoholic human being, you might wanna avoid traveling too far downstream into the town of Apollo. If you do, you may be exposed to so much radiation that you wake up the next morning with a full-grown tail and four testicles instead of two, as well as a few dozen tumors snaking around your spinal column and into your brain stem. You also may even discover that you glow in the dark!   

9 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Your overall disdain for the Pittsburgh area has been made clear several times, both in your comments and satirical use of "Pittsburghese". While it can be humorous in small doses it does get a bit old. I'm not sure where you are originally from but its irrelevant at this point, lets just get back to talking weather which is the purpose of this thread.

I'm originally from this area, Trout. Born and raised. I wouldn't go so far as to call what I have "disdain" though. In fact, this area still has a few attributes that I find to be somewhat positive, although those are becoming few and far between the older I get. It's just too fun and easy to make fun of this region. Think of me like a R-rated (and sometimes NC-17) version of "Pittsburgh Dad" I guess. I've actually had friends and family tell me that I should start a similar YouTube channel, believe it or not. I was thinking about putting together a satirical "Pittsburgh Driver's Ed" video but I don't personally know anyone with a Chevy Cobalt or Cavalier I can borrow, and it just wouldn't seem genuine without one. 

46 minutes ago, snowsux said:

I live far, far away from Pittsburgh (like a whole HOUR away) in the mythical town of Saltsburg. Yinzer lore has it that many a yinzer has attempted to make the long, arduous voyage to this place in recent years for it's recreational attributes, but most become lost and frightened on the way and wind up turning around. Those who do manage to complete their journeys are rewarded with a day of pleasant fun on our river and our hiking trail, where they usually get wasted on bad beer, pick the occasional fight with a local, and throw their litter on our otherwise clean streets. Usually the most common yinzer sightings on the weekends here are of the man-bunned, goateed faux hipster male and their mustached, disproportionately odd-shaped bikini clad female counterparts who's only means of verbal communication appears to be pointing to the sky and screaming "Woo!" whenever a favored Kenny Chesney song is blasted on a nearby car stereo. This particular species of yinzer loves to put white oval "yinz" and "DMB" bumper stickers on their bike-rack accessorized Subarus and VW Jettas while they stand around outside of our local canoe rental shop and slowly get inebriated as they show off their oddly shaped, scantily clad bodies and flick cigarette butt after cigarette butt into the street. Every once in a while though, when one of them gets too wasted, they'll stagger into the street in front of a moving vehicle, forcing the driver to have to slam on the brakes in order to avoid hitting them. The yinzer (usually a male of the aforementioned man-bunned, goateed variety) will drunkenly request (usually with a circular hand gesture) that the driver wind down the window, at which point the yinzer will mumble his request for verbal directions to his query of "what's the fastest way to get back ta Pixbargh, bud?" This is because even in the Year of our Lord 2018, verbal directions from strangers are favored by most true yinzers over the "compwicated" GPS technology that the rest of the developed world has used for the past 20 years. 

So come on down to our otherwise quiet little picturesque and clean town this summer, and join in all of the sloppy drunk, obnoxious festivities! A little piece of advice though: If you do manage to board a canoe without falling into the river and drowning because you blood alcohol content is high enough to kill the average non-alcoholic human being, you might wanna avoid traveling too far downstream into the town of Apollo. If you do, you may be exposed to so much radiation that you wake up the next morning with a full-grown tail and four testicles instead of two, as well as a few dozen tumors snaking around your spinal column and into your brain stem. You also may even discover that you glow in the dark!   

I grew up in Apollo. Did you go to school at Saltsburg? How did the area fair with the storm yesterday? It seemed like we always did well in situations like yesterday with a little aid from elevation. 

2 hours ago, dj3 said:

I grew up in Apollo. Did you go to school at Saltsburg? How did the area fair with the storm yesterday? It seemed like we always did well in situations like yesterday with a little aid from elevation. 

No, I was home schooled until 8th grade. After that I lived with my aunt and uncle in Poway California during the school year, where I attended Poway High School until 1996. I actually briefly attended school with the original drummer for Blink-182. I think that guy's homeless now though. Maybe those few years I spent out there ruined my perception of this area forever. 

Archived