Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I agree, they might get multiple winters in a row with awful snow then get a couple with big storms. We are almost guaranteed to get 30-40 inches a year. It does seem they have hit the jackpot quite often over the past 10 years or so. I hope I get to see another 92-96 Era, although I didn't truly appreciate it at the time. 

I’ve never had to deal with a sub 20” winter....but I think I would learn to if it meant higher big storm frequency. Especially as you get older and 39 days of measurable snow a year gets old!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SteelCity08 said:

I'm 15 minutes west of the city and have only seen 7+ once in the past 8 years and that was 2011. I know march 2012 there were many areas that saw 8+ but Ithink my elevation did me in there. Haven't seen a 10+ storm though since feb 5th 2010 lol. Pretty sure there's only been 2 in the last two decades. 2010 and 2003, at least officially. 

Yep. I really don’t think I saw 6+ Till this year. I’m also not counting when we got a 4 or 5 inch clipper, then got 2-3 in LE over the next two days.

Just now, KPITSnow said:

Yep. I really don’t think I saw 6+ Till this year. I’m also not counting when we got a 4 or 5 inch clipper, then got 2-3 in LE over the next two days.

I moved here in 2013. The only significant storm was the 8 inches i got in Jan of 2015. That is the only time i have seen something over 6 in

2 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I’ve never had to deal with a sub 20” winter....but I think I would learn to if it meant higher big storm frequency. Especially as you get older and 39 days of measurable snow a year gets old!

I agree. If we are in a lousy pattern it's pretty easy to not think about snowstorms. It's mainly the tracking that excites me. Having larger storms that might actually happen is a nice draw. Instead of tracking 10-15 a season and getting 1-3 or 2-4 each time followed by snow showers. Earlier in the season it's fine but as it drags on it starts to wear on you. Especially when you're in a big storm drought like we are. 

1 minute ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

There was a storm in March that I got banded overnight and had 12+ it was very isolated, I'll have to see if I can find any pictures. It had to have been 2013 or 2014. It was totally unexpected. One of the few times my yard cashed in. 

I think I remember that one. I recall seeing what I received and couldn't believe some of the totals being reported lol.

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

The NAM literally has a hole right over us, with every direction from us getting at least 3 or 4 inches.

Remember when it showed a foot? Think it was like 12 hours ago or something lol. If we don't get 4+ out of this I'm going to find a new hobby. Then I'm going to realize this isn't a hobby it's a sickness and be back the first time there's a storm threat. 

5 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

There was a storm in March that I got banded overnight and had 12+ it was very isolated, I'll have to see if I can find any pictures. It had to have been 2013 or 2014. It was totally unexpected. One of the few times my yard cashed in. 

March 2013....I got~10”.....mostly overnight so no sun angle issues. Was nice

5CB36E1D-295C-41E4-8804-4BEC4862057A.jpeg

Here are some of my findings on this storm and what I have learned in my 15 years of posting on these weather boards.

1. The models do a bad job on forecasting for this area. For example: all models were showing anywhere from 7 to 13 inches of snow for this area up until today. We average 40 plus inches of snow each year but the models anywhere from 3 days to 10 days probably give us 125-150. It seems that storms either underperform or over perform quite regularly. When we get a foot plus it is usually a surprise. Notice how many of us waited to post until yesterday because we were all expecting Lucy to pull the ball out from us? We all knew it would happen but we held out hope and got sucked in and now we are disappointed.  

2. The models were showing as much as 6 inches from the first waive and I got barely 1 so it was wrong. So why do I have to believe that if it shows 4 inches through tomorrow from the second waive it will suddenly be right? The NAM has a hole over us for the last 3 hours and it has been snowing here. The way I see it some of us could get 2 inches through tomorrow afternoon and some of us will get 8. We must not take these models so seriously as we will most likely get disappointed. 

3. Next year I will be here doing the same things again because I love following the weather and it is a fun hobby. Just like the summer too I love thunderstorms and I will see lines fizzle out or storms go around me but I will still be sitting on my porch waiting for that storm to pop up and surprise me. 

Okay im done typing and I just want to relax and enjoy the weather. I keep thinking that in a couple months I will be sitting on my porch with temps in the 70's looking for distant lightning. We will all be back next year and let's hope it will snow until 3:00 pm tomorrow and we will all over perform. 

Archived