Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Yeah, the GFS has been trending warmer for next weekend, so that’s a positive. 

Looks like maybe 50s and 60s? Probably not the end if the cold though. I know it doesn't work this way but part of me hopes we don't see a storm now and waste it. Rather save it for next January. It's been an average winter in just about any metric you could choose to measure. I really enjoyed the rain to snow storm we had. It was fun looking forward to the change over rather than dreading it and most of managed 5-6 inches. 

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

I swear.. for every one snowstorm we get here, Boston gets like 25.  It's not fair! 

With the basically same seasonal snowfall average...

At least officially....

I’m sure there are areas west of Boston that average 50-60” of snow. Plus there are much more frequent big storms. The last decade there has been absurd.

Our airport is more indicative of the average suburban snowfall, as opposed to the city. That said....since so much of our population is in those suburbs, I always thought it to be fair. 

Well, it looks like winter isn't quite as over yet as we (or rather I) first anticipated.  There might be a couple more moves to track, anyway, with a reloading -NAO, among other things.

We're already into mid-March, though, so this isn't nearly the same as tracking in D/J/F.  This last one drained the remainder of my hope, but as a snow lover, I'll keep tracking until Summer.

9 minutes ago, Mailman said:

I see the Euro has something for next week to keep everyone interested. 

Yeah, lol, I'd still take a 6+ storm at this point in the season. It's really a shame this whole evolution with the PV split and subsequent -NAO stuff didn't happen a month sooner. It all fits well with Nina climo though, Feb is usually the warmer month followed by a cooler / colder than average March. I'm pretty much indifferent now, if its gets warmer great, if it snows more that's fine too. Thinking April should end up a bit above average as once the effects of PV split wane temps usually go above average for awhile.

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1254 PM EDT TUE MAR 13 2018

PAZ007-008-013-014-020-021-029-131800-
Butler-Venango-Lawrence-Mercer-Beaver-Washington-Allegheny-
1254 PM EDT TUE MAR 13 2018

...A SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT CENTRAL MERCER...NORTHERN
WASHINGTON...BEAVER...SOUTHWESTERN VENANGO...LAWRENCE...BUTLER AND
ALLEGHENY COUNTIES...

At 1253 PM EDT, an intense snow squall was located along a line
extending from near Hermitage to near Industry to near Weirton.
Movement was east at 20 mph.

Locations impacted include...
Pittsburgh...                     Mount Lebanon...
Bethel Park...                    Ross Township...
McCandless Township...            Cranberry...
Moon Township...                  New Castle...
McMurray...                       Weirton...
Hermitage...                      Butler...

This includes the following highways...
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 3 and 43.
  Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 22 and 100.
  Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 4 and 37.
  Parkway North between mile markers 1 and 13.

Use caution if you must travel through this squall. Rapid changes in
visibility and road conditions are likely to lead to accidents.
Consider delaying travel until the squall passes.

LAT...LON 4070 7983 4023 7999 4030 8052 4057 8052
      4071 8047 4133 8046 4140 7981
TIME...MOT...LOC 1653Z 270DEG 17KT 4127 8040 4071 8041 4038 8053

$$

You people do realize that we live in probably the crappiest place in the united states for every type of weather, right? If you like big snowstorms with tons of white, fluffy snow that lingers for days and weeks, you can forget it here in Yinzerville. Instead you get tons of small storms, and whatever remains on the ground turns a disgusting shade of yellow and brown from all the salt, brine, pollution, and failure in this God forsaken area. If you like sunny skies, you can forget that too. Instead "partly cloudy" here in Suckville USA means one giant cloud formation from horizon to horizon with a few "holes" in it here and there....just to remind you that the sky is actually blue and not pale grey. If you like to step outside without getting soaking wet, you can forget that as well because this is also the land of perpetual precipitation. Let's face it, God hates us. Southwestern PA is His private garbage dump of crappy weather any way you slice it, regardless of what type of weather you favor. That's because this is really Purgatory, and all of us actually dead sinners from a previous life that we simply can't remember. This also explains why most yinzers walk around with a chip on their shoulder and a crappy attitude. This is the underworld, and none of us can escape....

You people do realize that we live in probably the crappiest place in the united states for every type of weather, right? If you like big snowstorms with tons of white, fluffy snow that lingers for days and weeks, you can forget it here in Yinzerville. Instead you get tons of small storms, and whatever remains on the ground turns a disgusting shade of yellow and brown from all the salt, brine, pollution, and failure in this God forsaken area. If you like sunny skies, you can forget that too. Instead "partly cloudy" here in Suckville USA means one giant cloud formation from horizon to horizon with a few "holes" in it here and there....just to remind you that the sky is actually blue and not pale grey. If you like to step outside without getting soaking wet, you can forget that as well because this is also the land of perpetual precipitation. Let's face it, God hates us. Southwestern PA is His private garbage dump of crappy weather any way you slice it, regardless of what type of weather you favor. That's because this is really Purgatory, and all of us actually dead sinners from a previous life that we simply can't remember. This also explains why most yinzers walk around with a chip on their shoulder and a crappy attitude. This is the underworld, and none of us can escape....
Life goes on. That's why you develop other hobbies outside of this one. If this were my only hobby in life, I would have lost my mind a long time ago living around here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jwilson said:

GFS looks pretty good at hour 288 (25th).  Pretty sure it shows a triple phaser in the next frame.  That is one monster storm.  1993 redux? HA!

Also, if this is the Underworld, does that mean we get Kate Beckinsale?

Please,  I hope we get Kate Beckinsale ;)

3 hours ago, jwilson said:

Also, if this is the Underworld, does that mean we get Kate Beckinsale?

No. We do not get Kate Beckinsale. We get Kathy Brokowski. She's 180lbs, has 3 kids to 2 different guys, chain-smokes Camel lights, calls everyone "honey", tends bar at the Legion, drives a Chevy Cobalt, loves Kid Rock and Nickleback, is a recovering heroin addict, smells like stale beer, cigarettes, and maple syrup, has man hands, and will drop to her knees instantly for any guy who rides a Harley and says "n'nat" at least once every other sentence.  She does do a really good Kate Beckinsale impersonation though, with this faux leather S&M suit that she bought at Adult World on route 22 in Blairsville. If you're drunk enough and the room is dark enough, you can barely tell the difference. Go Steelers!

13 hours ago, snowsux said:

7 hours ago, snowsux said:

No. We do not get Kate Beckinsale. We get Kathy Brokowski. She's 180lbs, has 3 kids to 2 different guys, chain-smokes Camel lights, calls everyone "honey", tends bar at the Legion, drives a Chevy Cobalt, loves Kid Rock and Nickleback, is a recovering heroin addict, smells like stale beer, cigarettes, and maple syrup, has man hands, and will drop to her knees instantly for any guy who rides a Harley and says "n'nat" at least once every other sentence.  She does do a really good Kate Beckinsale impersonation though, with this faux leather S&M suit that she bought at Adult World on route 22 in Blairsville. If you're drunk enough and the room is dark enough, you can barely tell the difference. Go Steelers!

Hmmm.. well while not entirely wrong, might I suggest: https://www.apartments.com/ orhttps://www.zillow.com/  Just make sure you use a zip code not in the State of PA, I think you are in need of a change of scenery lol.

15 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Close to a whiteout downtown for 3rd time today. Nice little tribute to the Blizzard of ‘93! 

This one looks like it has a chance to last a little longer, as there are some heavier returns to the NW

I thought the same thing, driving home yesterday I hit a pretty heavy snow shower, very low visibility, blowing snow, and it was even managing to start sticking on the roads. I'd consider it near blizzard conditions, albeit for only a 1-2 minute period. Blizzard of 93 post game recap lol.

5 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Hmmm.. well while not entirely wrong, might I suggest: https://www.apartments.com/ orhttps://www.zillow.com/  Just make sure you use a zip code not in the State of PA, I think you are in need of a change of scenery lol.

Oh trust me......if I could get out from under my mortgage somehow.....

On 3/13/2018 at 12:45 PM, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, lol, I'd still take a 6+ storm at this point in the season. It's really a shame this whole evolution with the PV split and subsequent -NAO stuff didn't happen a month sooner. It all fits well with Nina climo though, Feb is usually the warmer month followed by a cooler / colder than average March. I'm pretty much indifferent now, if its gets warmer great, if it snows more that's fine too. Thinking April should end up a bit above average as once the effects of PV split wane temps usually go above average for awhile.

I really don't know if it would have made much of a difference had this pattern set up a month prior. Perhaps maybe with the first one of the nor'easter onslaught at the beginning of the month but that storm was coming as the blocking was just getting established and we had no cold air mass in place for it and thus that parent low and transition to the coastal low happened just a bit too far north for western/central PA to get wrecked like the NY southern tier. The other two nor'easters were too far east, targeting the I-95 corridor from Philly north as well as eastern NY and New England. I think Worcester, MA has almost 40" for the MONTH to date. Lack of ridging out west was also an issue until the last one, which still developed too far east. 

We've been quite unlucky... even for western PA standards. This pattern change has definitely delivered big time in the Northeast overall throwing 3 major coastal storms in just two weeks. But there's always losers with these things.. and we've had it in spades so far this month. We usually get whacked by at least one of these storms during this type of a active storm regime with blocking in place. Have to see how things go with the next upcoming storm threat near the 20th-21st. We're running out of time. 

13 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I really don't know if it would have made much of a difference had this pattern set up a month prior. Perhaps maybe with the first one of the nor'easter onslaught at the beginning of the month but that storm was coming as the blocking was just getting established and we had no cold air mass in place for it and thus that parent low and transition to the coastal low happened just a bit too far north for western/central PA to get wrecked like the NY southern tier. The other two nor'easters were too far east, targeting the I-95 corridor from Philly north as well as eastern NY and New England. I think Worcester, MA has almost 40" for the MONTH to date. Lack of ridging out west was also an issue until the last one, which still developed too far east. 

We've been quite unlucky... even for western PA standards. This pattern change has definitely delivered big time in the Northeast overall throwing 3 major coastal storms in just two weeks. But there's always losers with these things.. and we've had it in spades so far this month. We usually get whacked by at least one of these storms during this type of a active storm regime with blocking in place. Have to see how things go with the next upcoming storm threat near the 20th-21st. We're running out of time. 

Oh I agree, it probably wouldn't have changed how any one storm affected our region. I was going more along the lines of we have had several NW Flow type setups that didn't really amount to much whereas in early to mid Feb we would have probably gotten a couple inches out of them, or at the very least snow wouldn't have melted right after it fell. Other thing is we basically wasted Feb with above average temperatures, and now March is raw and cold, wouldn't have minded having this all play out earlier and hit warmer weather by this time. Of course I say all this as another storm looks to be possible next week and if somehow we manage to score several inches I'll be happy it stayed cold, plus hopefully at least it delays grass cutting season lol.

Archived