Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised to see 80 on Tuesday.  We're going to push some serious highs.

I'm not really over winter, though, so I hope we get a return if the NAO does indeed tank.  Looks like the AO tanks possibly, too, but the PNA will remain negative.  Hopefully that doesn't negatively influence storm tracks.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, jwilson said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see 80 on Tuesday.  We're going to push some serious highs.

I'm not really over winter, though, so I hope we get a return if the NAO does indeed tank.  Looks like the AO tanks possibly, too, but the PNA will remain negative.  Hopefully that doesn't negatively influence storm tracks.

I don't think we want a big +PNA when the NAO \ AO will be so negative, that would probably lead to congrats Wilmington NC. No guarantee whatever happens works out for us, but the March 5th - 10th time frame is starting to look interesting for a slow moving storm. These blocked up patterns can yield some pretty interesting outcomes, and I think with the flow slowed down longer range modeling might be a bit more reliable than we have seen thus far this winter. I'm thinking this big blocking will yield 2-3 chances to roll the dice before things start to break down.

Once the effects of the SSW end and MJO makes it into the warmer phases again by end of March / early April we might be in store for above average temperatures which is fine by me. I always say give me above average in April or May if we are going to have above average months.

I believe it was almost a year ago to the day that we set an all time record high for February right? Or maybe we just missed it? I know we had a day last February that really torched into the 70s. February 24th of last year I believe. I'm at 79 in Bridgeville right now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, blackngoldrules said:

I believe it was almost a year ago to the day that we set an all time record high for February right? Or maybe we just missed it? I know we had a day last February that really torched into the 70s. February 24th of last year I believe. I'm at 79 in Bridgeville right now.

Yep, I think that was the 24th of last year.  Almost exactly a year later and we have the same heat "wave."  At 80 down here today, as well, much as I anticipated.  This is some weird weather.

SXUS71 KPBZ 202221
RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
516 PM EST TUE FEB 20 2018

...RECORD DAILY AND MONTHLY HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT PITTSBURGH...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 78 DEGREES WAS SET AT PITTSBURGH
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD DAILY RECORD OF 68 SET IN 1891.

78 DEGREES IS ALSO THE NEW RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF
FEBRUARY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 77 SET ON FEBRUARY 8 IN 1900.

Looking at the numbers, we could make a run at last February's +9.5 temp departure.

Last year the excuse was residual effects from the 2015-2016 super nino... this year who knows. All I know is i'm glad we got off to a good start and reached snow climo already, or this winter would have been another huge suckfest.

I know we have a chance to make rally in March, but outside of a blizzard, it still won't make up for losing a prime snow period, again.

IMHO.

10 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Looking at the numbers, we could make a run at last February's +9.5 temp departure.

Last year the excuse was residual effects from the 2015-2016 super nino... this year who knows. All I know is i'm glad we got off to a good start and reached snow climo already, or this winter would have been another huge suckfest.

I know we have a chance to make rally in March, but outside of a blizzard, it still won't make up for losing a prime snow period, again.

IMHO.

Yeah I agree, overall thus far I'd give this winter a B, we hit snow climo, had sustained cold with multiple days of snow cover, and had a couple decent storms plus bonus points for seasonal to cold around the holidays and a white Christmas. If we manage to catch a hail marry for a big storm in March I'd probably have to re-evaluate.

Archived