Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the models may be underestimating the warm tongue effect.  I think the question will become whether we get better cold-air damming or dynamic cooling of some type (with a stronger system) that keeps rain at bay.  A lot of the mesoscale models seem to think there is limited warm-tongue, except the HRRR.  The HRRR shows a more pronounced warming effect, at least in the southern zones.  It shows me getting nothing, while almost every other model has 3" or so.

I'm sure that's why the NWS is hedging a bit.  Based on surface observations, I'm inclined to think we may get more rain down here than the models are hinting.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a shutout south of Waynesburg or so.

32 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m out at our house at Deep Creek Lake for the weekend - flurries just started.  Forecast calling for 5-9”...I wouldn’t be shocked for some localized 10” reports but generally looking for 6-8” here in Garrett County.  

Should be a solid event for you in that location. Should get some nice wintery scenes. Share some pics if you get a chance. 

Light snow has started here. Just something about watching the cloud deck lower and the sky dim right before snow starts to fall that puts me in a good mood irregardless of expected totals. 

2 hours ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

I never like to post pictures if other people in the forum get screwed-I feel bad and want everybody to cash in!...whatever it is will be gone anyway Monday.....I hope the pattern flips the last few days of feb into March!

If it was Jan 2016 mabey lol. But on this one I say post away.

41 minutes ago, jwilson said:

A bit surprised we've been all snow since the onset.  Looks like the warm tongue didn't win this round.

With some blocking up north, this could have been a pretty impressive snowfall.

That's been the theme this whole winter. We've had cold and precip, just not at the same time.

Mabey the northern and southern jet will finally get together in March for a big storm.

3 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Should be a solid event for you in that location. Should get some nice wintery scenes. Share some pics if you get a chance. 

Light snow has started here. Just something about watching the cloud deck lower and the sky dim right before snow starts to fall that puts me in a good mood irregardless of expected totals. 

Pitt upped our forecast to 6-10” now.  It’s been dumping here for a few hours.  Approaching 4”.  Very wintry out..I’ll add a few pictures.

Archived